Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

I have sent my dxdiag file. Just want to chime in and let you guys know I am having the same issue. i7 9700k, rtx 3080 10gb with 16gb of system ram…

my monitor is 100hz with gsync enabled. My fps never goes above 100fps… My performance and temperatures in the game are AMAZING EXCEPT when in a MENU of ANY kind… skills menu, inventory menu, settings menu…

When that happens, my fps remains steady but the GPU fans start cranking up SUPER loud and the gpu temperature reach DANGEROUSLY high temperatures forcing me to AVOID all menus… which makes the game UNPLAYABLE… PLEASE FIX IT ASAP

Just dropped the $$ to buy this game and its a big issue. I’ll save this thread and wait for a fix before I continue playing this game. Right now its too dangerous for my gpu

*** update ***

I tried many suggestions, the high res texture pack downloaded or not doesnt fix the issue, the foreground and background fps limit doesnt fix the issue. The only “bandaid solution” I’ve found and IT IS NOT for PC ROOKIES out there is making a custom undervolt voltage curve in MSI AB … I already was undervolting my card, but D4 with its current HUGE UI/MENU issues… which cause the GPU to instantly suck 50 more watts and push the card to almost max tdp, I had to do something…

So yeah, right now, CAPPING your fps by a lot, can help… but it sucks… why invest in a good gaming pc if you have to CAP your fps … ?

So yeah, undervolting, at least doesnt rob you of too much performance and protects your card from overheating in menus (for now) until blizzard finds a fix

1 Like

this DOESNT work for me at all

ok… the strange thing is that at times I’m doing well… even playing at 60 fps, all settings low… nothing open in the background… but suddenly those massive crashes, freezes, etc… I play at the resolution of my monitor, which is 1360 x 700 or something like that… maybe I’ll try reducing it more if it’s worth it… Ay least for play in 30 FPS… I’d like to look for some solution to at least be able to play xd…

so if anyone can think of what combination of settings might work, let me know :pray:t2::pray:t2:

At this point i gave up testing anything. The spike seems to happen randomly at this point. Im out of options, sometimes everything works fine and sometimes my wattage spikes up to max and my gpu is about to meet the fires of hell. i have no idea anymore.

1 Like

I have the same issue!! My PC fans will go super loud whenever I interact with NPC in town. For example, whenever I have my stash opened for too long looking for items, I hear my PC fan go crazy. Blacksmith and other town npc also would make my PC go loud. I tend to look at my stash, blacksmith, and purveyor a lot because I am reading all the drops I want to keep and get rid off. It worries me cuz my PC go so loud whenever I do this. I mean usually my PC would go loud when I play graphic intense games, but I’m talking super loud! The loudest I ever heard lol. Sometime when I fight boss I would hear it go loud too. I just cleaned all my fans, so definitely not dust.

Tried all kinds of graphic settings in-game, updated my driver, installed the high res pack, reinstalled the game. No help

Same issue as well, and I’m linking my post about it here

Even with the undervolt, FPS 60 cap, playing on medium graphics quality preset, disable Nvidia Low Latency setting (both in control panel and in-game), set power limit to your GPU. It still spikes when you open inventory or go near a fire source.

3 Likes

Hi,

When can we expect this to be addressed, please? It appears to be the most crucial and dangeroues issue I’ve encountered thus far in the game. It directly jeoperdises our hardware and should be treated with the highest priority.

2 Likes

thank you i also got a video up how a vendor is Bricking my computer ps watch the fps drop ( amd Ryzen + RTX 4070 32 Gig´s of ram)

Not saying it will work for everyone, but since activating “Low FX” under graphics settings in D4, the problem seems gone for me.

2878 results for the word crash when you search the offical discord.

1300 results for dc when you search the offical discord.

Hundreds of posts on your forums a day about crashes and dcs.

What is it going to take to get you to fix the vram leak?

3 Likes

I just replace my old PC, which recently got a black screen and hung while playing Diablo 4.
With the new one, I got error, and the game shut down automatically

C98F38C1-2E8C-4936-A659-59F05B9BE337

My PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
RAM 32Gb DDR5

It is a new PC, how can this happened?

Disabling nvidia reflex fixed the issue for me.

1 Like

After trying all the tips inside this thread without any fix for me, I found my solution. I use a RTX 4090 + 13900K on Z790 Board and I have deactivated all devices from MSI mode to normal LB Mode with the MSI Utility. All means all and not only the GPU what I had activate manually. All devices like LAN, Sound, Intel ME, USB etc. what were activated automatically has been deactivated for MSI mode as well and now my game is running without any crash after 2 days with hours on grinding gameplay. No crashes in battle, no crash without doing anything or no crashes when I use the inventory or speak with dealer etc. Before I change the MSI mode the games crashed every 10-30 minutes, especially more often when I use the inventory. I believe, that is maybe a special case but maybe it is a try worth for other.

Hi guys. My PC also struggles with inventory and vendors. Today I found that a cosmetic chest piece on my druids causes a lot of trouble, when I open the inventory screen. I checked 2 druids’ profiles today after the world boss and noticed no change in power cosumption/fan noise. My character list, however does crazy things (and vendors), temp goes up to 70C in some bad places.

Some pics with the overlay. The chest piece in question is on the first and second images. It also spikes from ~130 to 170 W randomly when looking and this model.
https://imgur.com/a/aa1TAX8

Inventory screen is still bad though, after I changed the look. https://i.imgur.com/FDNVxXZ.jpeg

I have a 3080 and if I put every graphic setting to the lowest it is fine. However, I have dabbled around with every setting for a few hours today and I cannot figure out what setting it is that’s causing these problems. However, I have noticed the temp goes up 10-20 degrees everytime I visit a blacksmith, enchanter, jeweler etc. My guess is it has to be something with the npc portraits that appear in their windows when you engage with them. It does not happen in the inventory screen. I even took off all of my armor and that did nothing to help.

I basically only talk to npc’s when I have a plan on what exactly I want to do. If I spent more than a few seconds with them my gpu will go from 65 degrees to 90 degrees in about 15-20 seconds.

This has to be fixed asap from either Blizzard or NVIDIA, probably both. This is not good.

I can co firm that disabling Nvidia reflex resolved this issue for me. The power usage and card temperature still rise upon opening inventory/visiting a vendor, however only ever so slightly. I encourage you guys to try turning it off and check the results.

I tried disabling nvidia reflex -no effect for me. Fun fact - I had this issue in beta and didnt encounter it on release version until on of the recent patches. Today I noticed that my 3080ti again jumps from 120w to 240w and from 50-53 to 65 at vendor screens. Fps locked, reflex disabled, power limit 80%. undervolted… Didnt touch any settings since release, but it broke again somewhere during recent days.

They haven’t aknowledged the issue to be a “them” problem, in their minds it’s a “us and our hardware” problem. As long as this doesn’t get serious attention i doubt this will ever get fixed.

2 Likes

i am using a 6600xt, setting on high by default and without using the texture pack in high resolution, it uses all the 8gb of vram of my gpu, if i change the graphics to medium it goes down to half, and if i turn it back up to high it keeps the usage at 50% but gradually starts to go up until it reaches the maximum, i think the game definitely has a problem with the vram management.

I can confirm this is happening with my ASUS Dual 3070 OC. Lowering settings increases usage and heat and the fans are spinning at around 75%. Maxed settings with distortion off makes it normal again.

1 Like