Frame Rate Hitching / Stuttering on PC 4090

I am having the same issue. Here is something you can test with and maybe the devs can use. If you go to one of the tunnels in the game that is lit by lanterns they swing on their own without you have to run around. I found the stutter would occur every now and then just standing there. You can turn on FPS by hitting CTRL + R on your keyboard and watch the frames drop in half sometimes. I find this particularly interesting because you are not introducing new assets (textures models etc). The only calculations would be shadows from the swinging lights.

Secondly I also tried turning everything to the lowest settings and this occurs still.

Lastly, I tried removing all of the high res texture options but even on that I could still get this to happen.

5 Likes

Same issue here
RTX3060 TI

1 Like

Yeah something is diff from the first beta. It didn’t have this hitching in ultra.

I’m on 4090/13900k but running 1440p@180hz and it hitches if I run in Ultra settings no matter what I set DLSS3 too(I use DLAA) and frame gen don’t matter much either. Tried turning a few gfx things down, but it’s still bad until I drop down to High gfx settings. Then at High it runs smooth finally.

My fps is fine, it’s traversal into new areas that seems to do it mostly, but idk…still observing.

2 Likes

FPS stuttering almost exactly every 38 seconds, no matter the graphic options. Happening everywhere on map, in world as well as in dungeon. I have recorded video with High and Low settings as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGfWQt19V0

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F
MB: Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2
RAM: 32 GB
M2 disk

Windows 11
Latest nvidia drivers, latest bios update.

Game is playable, but definitely not something I enjoy :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Bump.

I have the exactly same issue on my Windows 11 / 4090 / i9-13900k setup.
It seems like the user can’t do anything to fix it.

I hope Blizzard is going for this problem. They need to. Sometimes it stutters once in 20 seconds and sometimes 2 times in 4 seconds. And when fighting against mobs, it gets even worse.

Please fix this. I really can’t enjoy the game as much as I want to with these fps drops and stutters.

3 Likes

Once thing I’ve just realised as well is that I can hear the coil whine (normal 4090 issue) stop for the fraction of the second that the frames drop.

1 Like

Seeing the same issue.
Was running a RTX2080 in the first open, 144fps > 4fps periodically, for no apparent reason - no related spikes in CPU/RAM/Disk.
Now running an RTX4080 - identical. Again sitting at 144fps (screen refresh - will happily run at 200+ but no point). Once again, periodic stutters down to 4fps - always 4 fps.

I was seeing similar in Snowrunner - some community member determined it was caused by device polling at the OS level in that instance, released a patch to prevent the interference… Feels bloody similar here. Its certainly not related to the HWs inability to keep up!

Changed settings up down and sideways makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Very very frustrating!

–EDIT–
Post in Beta thread discussing same stuttering - called out similar to my above point, re: device polling.
Cant test in game now, of course, so jumped back into Snow Runner that has the same symptoms for me. Setting my local network to Public, to disable network discovery - insta-fixed stuttering there. Can see it doing discovery passes easily enough, open Device Manager and have it on 2nd monitor, it will refresh when running a discovery, every 20 or so seconds for me, at which point the device list will refresh. Coincidentally about the same rate of stutters…
With the network set to public - no stutters!
There is a further callout to disable the SSDP Discovery Service, which does similar polling for uPnP, worth keeping in the back of your mind.

5 Likes

I think it’s hilarious how much you guys paid for your rigs when it runs buttery smooth in my 1070 from 5 years ago!

Sign me up for the list of people who have this problem. I happened to catch that my GPU load drops to 0 and then goes back under load when the stutter occurs.

I didn’t have this problem during the last beta and haven’t changed anything with my setup aside from updating to the newest GPU driver and keeping up with Windows Updates… more accurately, I haven’t performed any hardware changes.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
    Driver Ver: 531.79
    Release Date: 05/02/2023
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (AMD X570)
    BIOS Ver: 4402 (type: UEFI)
    BIOS Date: 02/03/2023
  • RAM: 2x 16 GB g.skill DDR4 3600 - 16 16 16 36 (32GB total)
  • Drive OS & Battlenet/D4 is installed on: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
    Free Space: 349.6 GB
    Total Space: 953.3 GB
  • Available OS Memory: 32678MB RAM
  • Page File: 16926MB used, 23924MB available
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

Edit: It appears as though the stuttering is fairly cyclical. Occurs every 20-30s or so for me, even in the menus.

5 Likes

What does the server have to do with my GPU load going to 0 for a fraction of a second? Not trying to be rude but a genuine question.

1 Like

Nothing, I actually misread this post in fairness, several of the initial comments were talking about rubber banding which has nothing to do with frame rates or impacts on pc specs and entirely on latency and servers (which is what I was looking for as that is the issue I am having).
Have deleted my previous comment as it seems irrelevant to this thread now

1 Like

The stuttering’s so annoying. Doesn’t matter how high or low I set the graphics settings. Can we get a blue post that confirms it can be reproduced on 1 of your test setups?

I don’t even want to play while it’s like this. F the Server Slam rewards I guess.

6 Likes

You guys with the strong machines experience this, here my GPU just raises the temp to 80 anytime I put in the charge (laptop) and this aint happening with any other game lol. What up ? :frowning:

1 Like

Yes that is exactly how it looks for me too

1 Like

Im experiencing the same issue. 3080Ti with Ryzen 7 5800x. Runs smooth 165fps then every 20-30 seconds it stutters and frames tank to as low as 30 fps. It definitely happens more often in combat/in town. I bought this computer for D4… I hope it is resolved by release.

3 Likes

Hopefully we can get a blue post on this, likely won’t happen till after the weekend once server slam is over but would be nice to know it’s being looked at in some capacity.

2 Likes

Same here. Previously I had stuttering issues with previous betas but nothing really significant. This time, with Server Slam version, I have constant stuttering mostly occuring when another player enters my field of view or in places where it is snowing outside building. There is significantly more banding when players arę around also preventing interaction with merchants in towns. This time around the stuttering is so bad and prolonged that makes a game unplayable. Plus during Ashava fight my character glitched in an awkward ‚car driving’ position and became unresponsive.

My system:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
32 GB Ram 3600 mhz
RTX 4090
Asus B550 mono
Latest drivers and Windows patches.

Cheers

2 Likes

Yeah, I also have a laptop with an NVIDIA 2060 and a mobile I7 CPU… it’s a few years old… certainly not as powerful as what I’m running on my desktop. I wasn’t getting any of these issues playing on the laptop.

I was on the same driver version and typically keep all of my components as up-to-date with regards to drivers as possible… including chipset drivers and BIOS versions, which are often overlooked by a lot of players.

1 Like

Same problem with 7800x3d paired with rtx4080.
I think it’s a nvidia issue.

My rtx 4080 is powerful enough to play this game without dlss2/3.
But if I try to use DLSS 3 or even DLSS 2, performances are really worse !

If I show the map and close it, it’s freezing the screen for a few seconds, almost every time.

2 Likes

Same here, awful stuttering. Most of the game is playable, but Ashave with micro stutters is awful. Position behind legs, micro stutter, oh look I am dead etc.,

4090, 11900K,32GB Ram, Direct Storage. Windows 11 fully patched. Latest GPU drivers. Latest Mobo Bios. Stutter stutter stutter. Did not have this on the first beta. Awful frustrating experience this time around.

3 Likes