Diablo 4 Memory Leak?

Hi There,

I have played a reasonable amount during these beta weekends and have 2x25 characters. What is bothering me is that the game seems to run perfect at 130+ fps even in the main city, but once in a while I get these stutters which are really annoying and can happen at any time regardless of the location.

I have alt-tabbed out of D4 at one point and have seem spikes of 90% RAM usage… Diablo 4 being the main culprit. To me that seems outrageous as I have 16GB of RAM and upgrading for me isn’t an option right now…and I don’t think I should have to because I can run far more demanding game without problems.

Computer specs are:

AMD Ryzen 3700x
RTX 3060 TI
16 GB RAM (dual channel)
Installed on SSD

Playing at 2560x1440 everything maxed apart from textures which are on medium.

Has anyone else run into these issues and can we expect Blizzard to optimize the game properly when it’s released?

2 Likes

High RAM usage is normal, the game should be using as much as possible for smooth streaming in an open world game.

How bad are these stutters? What does your frame rate drop to?

It’s happening to almost everyone. I’m running a Ryzen 5 5600 with a RX 6700xt and 16gb RAM on medium. And yeah it happens to me too. Just seems like the game needs to be optimized a bit to correct this. Which I imagine will happen by launch.

1 Like

I have a 12700, 3070, 64gb of ram.

When playing my computer is using about 52-54% of my ram with diablo using the majority by a long shot. However im not getting any memory related issues

1 Like

It’s a widespread issue no matter what setup. Most of it seems to be related to the high textures setting. I can play hours with textures set to high but the fps and stability drop down eventually while I experience zero issues with textures set to medium. I hope it’s fixed at launch.

Windows 11, i7 12700k, RTX 4080 and 32GB of ram.

1 Like

Tested this with 8 / 16 / 24 and 32GB sticks, tested on DDR3 , 4 and 5.
Running a memory cleaner that cleans up at 80% useage back to 60% seemed to work.
Putting settings to medium also worked…

Would be nice to see something about this posted since it’s 110% a game related issue…

yea. its on blizzards end. i have a 7900xtx and in 4k max settings the game starts around 13gb of vram but works its way up to over 23gb. thank goodness i have a 24gb gpu so it doesnt dip into my RAM or id be having issues. but it does cause unnecessary heat since its using so much vram. they need to hurry up and fix this issue. i couldnt even imagine trying to play on an 8gb gpu, even at 1080 it would cause crashes i bet.

32 normal ram, gets close to being full the longer I play

Worse, is how the swap file starts out around 12gb, and ends up as high as 43gb depending on how long I play for

The game doesnt need to keep things in memory from zones I havent been in for hours. It seems like it doesnt remove anything once it loads it initially.

1 Like

I have a 3600 and a 5700 and the game eats up about 7-10 of my vram in the mids in the long run, I gave up playing at highs and it is solved by going down to lows and going back up to mids, in fact when my card’s vram exceeds me Graphic freezes my entire PC absolutely, I hope they are looking at it to fix it… it’s absolute madness. (5700 radeon pulse)

I have a similar issue - though not with memory (that I can see).

I play windowed (fullscreen) 1080p, older hardware than you. Everything seems fine. Occasional major lag spikes.

Then every few hours or so of an active client, it will get a massive lag spike and crash. Always seems to be when I’m on a horse, but that could be coincidence (you spend an inordinate amount of time on horse/map moving from A to B).