Diablo 1, 2, 3, or 4... it all feel the same to me

Seriously, I’ve played them all. Admittedly, I am NOT hardcore. i dont grind. Never have, never will. That said, all of these games feel the same to me despite players claiming that one or the other isn’t a “true” Diablo game. They all play like perfectly fine Action RPGs for me.

Some people complained that D3 wasn’t “dark” enough or that it was too “cartoony”. I don’t see it. D4 definitely has a different color palette, but I don’t think it’s anyway more or less Grimdark, it just has less color saturation. I could like both in their own ways without feeling that something was done wrong.

So far the game plays pretty much like D3. I have no problem with that.

The only issue I do have with the game is the Gnostic storyline… the writers are definitely angry about Christianity and want us all to join their Gnostic Death Cult with them. No thanks. That said, I didn’t find the story in the earlier version all that compelling either.

The game could do completely without the micro transaction nonsense but at least its not Diablo Immortal.

:man_shrugging:

Long story short… In my 4 hours of playing the game, it seems to be providing me with the same level of entertainment as Diablo 2 (a product of its time) and Diablo 3. I’ll play the full campaign. I’ll play some end game adventure mode solo when I’m looking for something outside of my normal game rotation. I’ll play the game with friends when they ask me to.

8/10

It’s a Diablo game, no question about that.

Lotta people playing without any prior experience with Diablo games, I think. Many of these won’t “get it” and will probably wander off (at least for a while) after they complete the campaign for the first time.

1 Like

The storyline is about how neither side has humanities best interest in mind. I don’t know why people try to attach modern day politics or religions to everything.

1 Like

You had to be hardcore to play D1… it took me months just to find that tiny little gap in the map! xD

Life is a prison and the only escape is death… of all humanity or the project fails.

Yeah no thanks. That not in my best interest either.

That’s the genre, OP. Do the campaign, level to 100, and farm the best gear on all classes. Grats, you beats the game. Time to play another title until the next one gets released. That’s the way this franchise has been since the beginning. Save for D3, which did have some longevity with the greater rifts.

That wasn’t part of my review but sure.

Respectfully, you gave us more in the title than you did in the actual post, which was basically, “they’re angry at Christianity.” There are parallels, sure, but only loosely so. My comments were directed toward the sentiment in the title. Of course, they’ll feel similar.

There’s definitely more in the post but it’s up to you to read it.

As for the title, you are misinterpreting my stance. I’m speaking against the idea put forth that D4 (or D3 for that matter) doesn’t meet the expectations of what a Diablo game should be.

No, I don’t really want something as low on Content as DI - DIII. Look at D Immortal, they are funneling in tones of new items and content every patch. Current legendary selection is insane compared to any other Diablo game. If cosmetic shop and BP will give us 1/4 of that, then it will be worth every penny.

Respectfully, Im not trying to win a fashion contest but you do you.

I am not talking about cosmetics, I am talking about legendary effects affecting skills and defining gameplay.

Like I mentioned I’m not hardcore. I’ll never play the game enough for any of that to come into play.

What does that have to do with anything at all?

It’s MY critique. You are free to make your own.

If you like paying extra for extra content, enjoy.

I, however, prefer my games without it.

What does paying for extra content have to do with the storyline?

1 Like

That is the gnostic belief… the theme being presented in Diablo 4.

As someone who has worked alongside several of the team involved with making D2 and knew the writers personally, the idea that the storyline has anything to do with an anti-Christian death cult is utter nonsense. Some of them are religious, some are not. They came up with ideas for the story by pulling themes from Abrahamic religions and Zoroastrianism, and came up with a fictional story that worked with a D&D style theme. There are no ulterior motives, and it is purely for entertainment just like a majority of fiction out there. Anyways, the games have you fighting against demons and siding with the various priests in the game, most of which their religion is never specified. How is this in anyway gnostic or specifically anti-Christianity?

It’d be cool if we could bind abilities to hotkeys and actually use most of what we unlock.

It was nice to have instant access to 8 abilities through a hotkey, even if they were on the F keys.

If they wanted this to actually feel different from its D3 base, they really should’ve changed something with the general control scheme, instead of doing a copy/paste of a 10 (edit: or 20? Don’t copy/paste D2 either FFS…) year old system.

I wish I could find the enjoyment you are having lol. I got wildly bored with d4 as i got into act 3. I’ve never been bored with a diablo game before lol. I have very fond memories of farming for that sacred nemesis gear from D2 lol. Good times. D4 is just… soo… boring… I don’t understand what is supposed to be fun? It’s not flashy. You never feel powerful. The story is sorta ok, but I agree not into the death cult thing. You level up and the trash mobs get stronger than you lol! I really wish I could get my money back…