D4 is killing some GPUs

I don’t seem to have a problem. I did cap it at 120 recently just because all this chatter makes me a little nervous. I have a 4070, don’t recall the vram but I also have 60G DDR5 ram. I’ve heard of ppls with a 4090 having issues. Very worrisome tbh.

20 characters requir

Its a rather mixed bag imo. While some cards may be composed of lower quality components and would have failed one way or another when under maximum load and varying frenquencies of power inputs, D4 has major technical flaws that even a lesser informed user can identify.

The major points here are practically any extra windows that show some kind of rendered and animated character portrait(s). Even when pressing tab to open the map you can notice occasional stutters and i am pretty sure its because the game simultaneously loads the shop opening animation with it.

Its absolutely braindead and consumer unfriendly behaviour to utilize these “vanity” gadgets to the point where the players hardware gets stressed harder than on modern benchmarks.

The worst part here however are the absurd and quickly varying power spikes caused by D4s instructions that can easily push already worn or lesser quality hardware over the edge. Its an absolute joke that blizzard didnt even get the technical side of this game on point. And now they wont even fix it.

Even when I shut down d4, there’s like 20 seconds the computer freezes… Usually enough time to click shut down, but have to wait for it to shut down because it freezes.

Yesterday was the first day so crashed in d4, logged back on and could hear my fans on full blast, had to shut down and see if it occurred again. (It didn’t reoccur)

I guess the game has to load everyone’s stash before it actually logs off

I am one of those ppl, the game killed my 3090 for some reason. I alrdy noticed when playing the game it claimed far to much resources for such game and graphics.

So my first thought was “crap” happens, then the same happened to my laptop.

The basically it killed 1000 euro gpu and 2300 euro laptop. But ye great finished game and still some muppets claim here the game is perfect…

U think blizzard will pay for the dmg? Ofcourse not, cuz how u gonna proof D4 is the actual cause.

Activision doesnt give a damn, they just want money regardless how.

Apart from game being unfinished content whise, the game has these type of issue’s which are not acceptable obviously.

Nevertheless as customer i have 3300 euro dmg due freaking coding errors. Surely the laptop is useable till certain extend but i need the videocard to be able todo my work proper. So here we are.

Just find frustration ppl still defending activision for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Agree, that D4 is not optimized enough.
I have several issues with D4, all described here:

Up to now I did not find solution… today I have sent my GPU for diagnostics so I’m really curious if there will be any findings.

Wrong its quite the opposite, the game has been poorly optimized hence these issue’s.

Prolly mainly due they wanna extend their customer base as much as possible for max profit, even it means lesa playability or alike.

Its a UI and engine designed for console and pc. For the console no idea for the pc is has been very poorly optimized atleast in the current state.

Dont wanna ruin ur world but nothing about this game is state of the art.

On my 4090 work great even with 50% of GPU power limited by Afterburner (I like silence)
The worst part are VRAM memory leaks: huge Vram consumption!
…20 Giga VRAM taken on 4090!!! This game needs huge optimisations.

The blacksmith is mining bitcoin on your system while playing :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Came here looking to see if it was worse for anyone else after todays patch. Seemed fine earlier but now it’s way worse. At launch and up until the big nerf patch I only had problems in town. Even without vendor open my GPU fans would go nuts. If I tab out of game they would spin down and I would go on with the next dungeon and it was fine until again I went back to town.

Since the big nerf patch it started doing it in town and also the end of dungeons with the big bubble.

Since todays patch it’s waaaaaaaaay worse. It happens in town. It happens at the end of dungeons. It happens in the middle of doing dungeons. Not only is it happening in more places but my fans are spinning up way harder. It even takes longer to spin down when I tab out now. I don’t know wtf the devs are doing but every patch it gets worse. I have a top end system. Brand new. Everything up to date. No problems in any other game

i9 13900
32 gbs ddr5 6400
4090 MSI
M.2 samsung pro
49" Samsung Neo G9 Super Ultrawide

My system is not crashing and I never had problems since launch other than whats mentioned and occasional rubberbanding but not often. Now my fans go absolutely bonkers and I get stutters. Revert whatever the hell you guys changed please. I am not going to blow up my brand new 7k setup just to play this mediocre game.

i was crashing when streaming, didn’t happen in Guild Wars XX , or in Elder Scrolls, and son on, big mmos no issue, but… D4… now is a different story Crash after 2 runs in a dudgeon returning to town to sell loot. Like clock work.

Blizzard cannot get it right, too many changes, to many spikes in game especially entering town.

I’ve determined that D4 is a broken game and needs to go back into Alpha.

See you next year, when new game engines come out. It’s obvious the staff does not know how to code in the current engine, does not even know how to optimize a game.

Too many problems, and so many games coming out in August.

1 Like

I’m not defending the game or Blizzard at all, but this is anecdotal evidence at best.

The only evidence you have is that the GPU’s died while playing D4, if this was a wide spread issue we would hear of this everywhere in the thousands.

And next point, a lot of those cards are quite old and might actually have died if playing other games.

5 Likes

my laptop is also having GPU problems.it says mt GPU IS NOT SUPPORTED

I ALWAYS avoid leaving any inventory screen or vendor screen open for any length of time. A couple times I’ve gotten out of my chair while a vendor screen is open, and I remember that’s a bad idea and immediately turn around and exit the vendor. Obviously, this issue has been documented already but I didn’t really expect it to keep being a thing for this long.

You can hear my fan speed hit max and the temps quickly increase when any vendor menu or inventory is open. I’ve done everything recommended (Capped FPS through Nvidia settings as the main solution, tested different graphical settings, made sure my cooling was good, etc) but it makes no difference at the vendors, or when inventory is open. The rest of the game runs perfectly and my temps never fluctuate like that.

Any GPU getting “fried by D4” has some other problems going on. That being said, people need to turn max FPS down. D4 default is 150FPS. On that setting my GPU is 97% to max all the time. I turn it down to 60FPS and GPU hangs out at 40-60%.

1 Like

It’s a blacksmith issue?

I was thinking it was people being in town, a lot of people are in town, and rendering people.

I see this out in the wild too, like if I stumble across a whole group of people, or people are actually there, I get massive spike. So its good & bad, I like seeing other people, but don’t like computer stressing

I play hardcore so seeing people is rare. And when my computer ramps up its usually when people are around. Blacksmith area thats pretty much where people goto in town I suppose, so could be related.

Panerdar](Profile - Panerdar-1110 - Diablo IV Forums)
Any GPU getting “fried by D4” has some other problems going on. That being said, people need to turn max FPS down. D4 default is 150FPS. On that setting my GPU is 97% to max all the time. I turn it down to 60FPS and GPU hangs out at 40-60%.-------------------------------------------

IM NOT TURNING ANYTHING DOWN, IF THE GAME IS NOT OPTIMIZED FOR HIGH SETTINGS THAN HIGH SETTINGS SHOULD BE TAKE OUT OF THE OPTIONS.
How bout that, stop nerfing and start posting what the actual is.

ntel (R) Core I9-10900K 64 bit
CPU 3.70GHz
10 Cores
63.9 GB Ram
51.2 GB VRAM

My comp is well above the specks needed, so your offer of dim down the lights to a lower setting, is ABSURD

I have a 6800 XT and it hasn’t crashed since the patch. It would crash at least once a day and often more. I can launch missiles with my computer. It is D4 causing the gpu crashes, Hopefully the patch was a fix. We’ll see.

What broke? Serious question.
I can break apart most GPUs and tell you what broke, cap, mosfet over heat, low quality inductors, bad VRAM clusters bound to break anyways. All my GPUs are 90%+ usage since I can remember. That’s normal.

EDIT: NM I see you said. Yea. Sound kinda common for cheap components or good ones in bad conditions.

Counting those bytes huh? That’s al il odd, usually it’s slightly over.

1 Like