Can someone explain the loot?

I know this,

But the little armor boost is not worth taking sub-optimal stats over a lower item level piece with proper stats.

Obviously if you find some higher ilvl armor with the right stats then use it. It’s just not nearly as high priority as weapon. Where maybe one sub optimal stat can still be worth if the ilvl jump is significant.

Ofcourse there will be a point where you have BIS in all slots, I expected that point to be after a few weeks at 100 not halfway there…

In my world it would have made sense to have another tier for lvl 800+ items and maybe let them drop in 95+ dungeons or something like that instead of having the same tier drop in lvl 30+ dungeons as lvl 100… And also if you have 100 levels you would start getting endgame drop extremely seldom ät lvl 90. higher frequency at 95 and then normal droprate at lvl 100 so that players have something to look forward to when getting to lvl 100… not as now where you can have bis in all slots before lvl 61…

But its just my oppinion.

Take it your a d3 player lol…

That’s one of the big problems with the game. A higher item power should always guarantee higher affix values. They don’t, resulting in basically a very confusing, convoluted and unsatisfying system overall. As the loot system goes, so too goes the game. They didn’t even bother to use cool icons let alone anything to clearly distinguish sacreds from ancestrals, etc. Poor design effort for loot in an otherwise strong art direction for the game.

Guy finally went silent. Thinking he might have earned a forced vacation.

Were you just sitting around waiting for me to reply for 16 hours? It’s called I went to bed and got up for work. Not all of us can sit around doing nothing but posting on the forums everyday. Some of us have responsibilities.

Late reply but…

While true, the issue is the pacing on the gear progression. Yes, Diablo has always involved a loot treadmill concept. Do content to hunt for loot, take time to find upgrade, finally find upgrade, neat. This concept only works when those drops come in at a suitable rate (extremely rare and powerful items aside…). There is a sweet spot in here. D4 doesn’t hit this mark.

If this rate is off then players will, again, easily hit a point where they’re grinding their wheels. Doing content for hours on end while making zero gear progress or seeing no reason to continue the hunt because they acquire everything prematurely.

After reaching level 100 and completing the bulk of the content, sure, upgrades have to stop showing up eventually. At this point the player rolls another character. It should not happen well before this point. Nor should it happen an absurd length of time after. Based on my own anecdotal experience in D4 it’s always one of these two outcomes.

I’d note, this isn’t a case of hunting gear for build X and finding drops for build Y either. It’d be one thing if you could actively switch approach and mold a character build around the drops. That would be okay, depending on who you ask. At the very least this would be an improvement. It would open the door for more experimentation. Alas, in many cases the drops aren’t suitable for any build on any class.

There are plenty of available options to improve this situation. There is no need to expand upon them. Developers overseeing these game systems, or gear progress tuning, likely know exactly what is being said here. In fact, I’d bet they’re constantly considering adjustments to it. The feedback, or at least mine, is intended to say they should seriously consider pulling the trigger on some of those adjustments.

The problem with what you are saying is that you are only viewing it from your own perspective.

Not everyone is in WT4 by 50. The people who rush to get ahead will get ahead in most cases. And if you do you are going to run out of things faster by default.

There are still tons of people 50-80 that don’t even have WT4 unlocked. Which means they continue being able to grind until 100.

Like I said to the other guy. Raise the ilvl to 860. You will just be complaining about the same thing. Will just take a week longer. And everytime you add on to keep the meta andy’s from boredom you are effectively making the game worse for the casual players. Which they are the majority. 70 percent of the player base doesn’t take the game serious like you or me. Most people play this game like 2-5 hours a week and don’t frequent the forums.

There is two spectrums not one to balance around. And with some people already struggling what are we going to do? Keep pushing the goal post further and further until they don’t want to play because the grind is 10x longer and harder. All just to work around 10 percent of the players like you or me that play way to damn much.

There is no chance, you just don’t understand what affixes have value, or what builds need what.

I’m literally on my 3rd sorc, and I have a barb at 100.

Eternal Barb and sorc, hardcore sorc (still alive) and seasonal sorc.

My barb does around 2 million dps. My sorc is now over a million.

I’m about to say something the forums will hate, by 90% of them don’t have a character stronger… but…

I’m wearing Frostburns, because they are potentially BiS for the way I’m configured.

“They don’t suck”

Come at me.

Ugh, the idiot is back. Why doesn’t ignore truly ignore someone. It just hides the post? Weak sauce.

For most items in WoW you know where to farm though… you know that this boss or this reputation grind etc leads to a specific item. Some items might have a low drop chance, but at least you know where to farm them. You also have a natural gear progression… you start with items from normal dungeons, then you get upgrades from heroic dungeons, then upgrades from 10 man raids, then upgrades from 25 man raids etc. In D4 you do a dungeon at lvl 1… and you can pretty much continue doing the exact same dungeon till you reach lvl 100.

The biggest difference is that in D4 you need certain items to even be able to do certain builds. A badly rolled unique is often required to even make a build work… you don’t have that in WoW.

Compare to D3… because of how the Horodric Cube was implemented you could target farm certain legendaries. Sure, it might cost you, but you could do it at least.

Maybe I don’t but I have Frostburns and sold like 4 of em by the time I was 80… Now im going for sideburns instead…

I can assure you I am not viewing it from just my own perspective.

Your second comment sounds like it’s implying players reaching WT4 is contributing to the earlier described problem. It really has nothing to do with it.

If you were to graph character progression/content completion from level 1 to ~70 vs gear improvement you’d probably get a relatively linear, increasing line. Perhaps it wouldn’t be perfectly linear. Regardless, the underlying point is as you complete earlier sections of the game the loot steadily improves.

Past this point this all goes away. Gear stops steadily improving as you progress to higher levels and more challenging content. Instead the early drops and the later drops are tossed into the same loot pot. Make that same graph from post level 70 to level cap and odds are it’s going to look very different. It’s going to be all over the place and vary wildly depending on luck.

The last 30 or so levels of the character progression involves questionably tuned gear progression. It’s as if they tuned this game system for the first 70 levels and never did so for the remainder.

I doubt the number of players remaining in lower world tiers is high. Simply because earlier content tends to become obsoleted quickly. It’s quite difficult to die to WT4 world content once you’ve hit the 70-80 range. You almost have to try. While some players aren’t as able as others they can always remain in a lower world tier. But… if anything this would compound the problem.

The item level doesn’t need increased. The item level progression needs to be tuned better.

Players should not get 800ish power level items early into WT4. That’s end-game gear. They also shouldn’t continue to get 600ish level gear as they approach the level cap. The loot progression should be smoother, as it is for the rest of the game.

I’d also point out odds are this is more problematic for the players with less time to burn. How do you think these players feel when they play for a month and don’t find any upgrades? “Hardcore” players are much better equipped to push through, so to speak, because they devote far more hours into the grind.

What goal posts? Nothing I’ve said is meant to suggest the loot needs to be better or scale into infinity. I don’t know how to explain it more clearly. The loot tuning for the last part of the leveling and end content is not where it needs to be.

If you or anyone else disagrees on this point, fine. We can disagree. The world won’t explode if two or more people disagree on the Internet about the way a collection of highly abstracted digital 1’s and 0’s operate.

1 Like