Banned recently?

Was recently banned while in a nightmare dungeon. No specific reason given other than game exploitation. Only lvl 71 no crazy gear or damage, anyone else get recently banned for no apparent reason?

8 Likes

Interesting that you can even post still. I am guessing the forum software has not updated to reflect your account status.

Yes, there are a few others who have posted about account penalties on Tech Support with error 52 (account banned). Below is what I posted for them.

Error code 52 is an account Suspension or Ban. You should have gotten an email sent to the email address on your Battlenet account that tells you the category of infraction and the means to appeal. That appeal is only done via ticket. Ticket times are around 5 or 6 days right now.

A quick reminder of the sorts of things Blizzard will penalize an account for is below. That includes account sharing/pilots, automation of any gameplay including rotations, selling gold/items/carries, any outside software that is not approved by Blizzard, etc.

License Limitations. Blizzard may suspend or revoke your license to use the Platform, or parts, components and/or single features thereof, if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:

1. Derivative Works: Copy or reproduce (except as provided in Section 1.B.), translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on or related to the Platform.
  2. Cheating: Create, use, offer, promote, advertise, make available and/or distribute the following or assist therein:
  • cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard (whether accomplished using hardware, software, a combination thereof, or otherwise), influencing and/or facilitating gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;
  • bots; i.e. any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that allows the automated control of a Game, or any other feature of the Platform, e.g. the automated control of a character in a Game;
  • hacks; i.e. accessing or modifying the software of the Platform in any manner not expressly authorized by Blizzard; and/or
  • any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that can be used in connection with the Platform and/or any component or feature thereof which changes and/or facilitates the gameplay or other functionality;
  1. Prohibited Commercial Uses: Exploit, in its entirety or individual components, the Platform for any purpose not expressly authorized by Blizzard, including, without limitation (i) playing the Game(s) at commercial establishments (subject to Section 1.B.v.3.); (ii) gathering in-game currency, items, or resources for sale outside of the Platform or the Game(s); (iii) performing in-game services including, without limitation, account boosting or power-leveling, in exchange for payment; (iv) communicating or facilitating (by text, live audio communications, or otherwise) any commercial advertisement, solicitation or offer through or within the Platform; or (v) organizing, promoting, facilitating, or participating in any event involving wagering on the outcome, or any other aspect of, Blizzard’s Games, whether or not such conduct constitutes gambling under the laws of any applicable jurisdiction, without authorization.
9 Likes

I havnt done anything listed above, ive merely been playing the game normally since release. Crazy that i have to wait 6days to even get a response. Also the diablo 4 ticket submission isnt working so i was directed by a blizzard twitter account to submit a ticket through diablo 3 for an appeal which will likely take even longer

6 Likes

It all goes to the same team. The ticket categories just help slot things into baskets for sorting, but the same team handles all the games.

1 Like

Blizzard frequently issues false bans.

The worst part about it is if you know you are innocent you are dealing with a brick wall by submitting a ticket. You are at their mercy. You can’t converse with an agent in real time.

You have to really hope they are doing their investigation properly and not simply fobbing off tickets because of workload. There is no accountability!

Best of luck to you OP!

36 Likes

MissCheetah out here doing the Lord’s work.

Good luck OP. If you are innocent, I hope for a quick turn around. If you aren’t, I hope for a good lesson learned.

8 Likes

While false positives do happen, or mistakes are made in the detection criteria, that is not common. They also unban people and apologize for it when they do.

They ban tens of thousands of accounts a week, mostly bots. Very few are in error.

That said, that is why appeals exist.

6 Likes

You still have to hope the people reading the appeal are not swamped and will give it the proper attention. I know innocent people have had their “final appeal” and then threatened with their entire blizzard accounts being deactivated if they persist.

EU has it right they let you get refunds when companies do this and deny you service. Wish we had that level of consumer protection in the United States.

16 Likes

They certainly can make mistakes which is why you can submit appeals up until they tell you NO, that is enough on that particular issue. If someone keeps harassing the GMs they will penalize the Bnet account for GM harassment. Sometimes no means no.

For example, they have been finally giving some transparency from the Hacks team about some recent WoW Classic bans. There is one team who handles all the anti-cheating for their games. This is from within the past day.

I can promise you, only a very tiny number of those will be false positives. I do appreciate that they are giving some stats though. Interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes and not just the few who say something publicly.

3 Likes

Still find it insane. Banned in the middle of a low tier nightmare dungeon playing with friends. No notice, warning or suspension. Been playing the game as intended by developers with occasional partys to help friends with difficult content (we are within 10 levels of each other). No in real life cash trades or third party add ons as ive been seeing around for recent bans. What is the detection method being used here, what things are considered game exploits? Why are we not being given warnings of what can get us banned? Are these blanket bans with no actual initial review by blizzard staff? Seems unfair considering the amount of time needed to even get a response on the matter. Early access for what? To lose it in a blanket ban a week after release?

3 Likes

i wonder if someone you partied with was not on the up and up and you got swept up in it.

6 Likes

I have only partied with friends i know in real life, all of which are currently still playing. Only instances i was with people i dont know were legion events, world bosses and possibly helltides if i ran by them for a few minutes

1 Like

so when bunch of streamers will be banned?

33 Likes

Can you think of anything (even if it was a party member) that took place to help aid in leveling or gear? Exploits? Repeating dungeons or elite mob waves etc? I’ll even admit I don’t think bans should be given for that and it should be fixed.

Some players and I know this sounds crazy to some, actually don’t know whether they are breaking a rule or not in game. If that’s the case it’s truly a shame and I hope you win your appeal.

I do think you are correct that a warning should be issued a warning first unless it involves real exploitive cheats or bots/duping etc. Good luck and keep people updated if you can still post.

1 Like

Nothing. I was lvl 71 nothing crazy, theres plenty of lvl 80s 90s and even 100s running around the map that likely have less play time than i do considering the farming videos being posted by streamers and youtubers. My gear is also mediocre. A couple ancestral a few sacred and even a few normal legendarys. Was in the process of easing my way into world tier 4 as dungeons are significantly more difficult with the amount of degens stuns and freezes encountered.

1 Like

Open a ticket linking which streamer told you to do it. :joy:

this actualy could meen one of your friends did something wrong, and due to some wierd thing, he didnt get the ban but you did instead.

1 Like

Couple ideas for you. No judgements.

A) You have a program running that Blizzard detected as bad juju. Possibly some type of automated Macro for another game you forgot was turned on? Or maybe something innocent like some off the wall keyboard and mouse software? Pirating software?

B) You were banned by proxy because Blizzard had enough proof that your account was involved in some way. If you do only play with friends this leaves a couple options.

1. Your friends are not your friends and one or more of them was breaking the rules. You being banned and not them could mean Blizzard hasn’t gotten to them yet or they actively reported you and Blizzard used those reports along with the “no no” detection to place blame on you.

2. You were interacting either knowingly or unknowingly with a bot or hacker and Blizzard decided to nail you. Could be you followed someone around and they were running some hack and you picked up enough rewards to make it look like you were benefiting from their no no on purpose.

3. You accepted a gift from a friend or some nice random person and that gift was created or acquired through a no no bad thing and Blizzard traced that item or gold back to you.

False bans are rare for Blizzard these days. They have been doing this for a really long time across many different games. That said, this is a brand new game and it is entirely possible that they messed up. I hope the appeal system works and you get an answer to what is going on.

4 Likes

OP, were each of your friends in separate dungeons from each other running them like that for a long time?

1 Like

One of the streamers who played the preview copy a couple weeks ago said there was an exploitable bug where a party of 4 people could split up and farm monsters in the same world region and share all their exp from kills/quests. One person could just stay in a nearby waypoint town while everyone else is out killing stuff and doing quests and the guy in town would still get the exp for doing nothing. Not sure if this is what what going on or not though. Also the ban may have been for something that happened earlier, not necessarily for what you were doing at the time you got banned.

But, I don’t know if that is the case here or not.

The only bans I heard of so far are based on party exploits.

2 Likes