3080 TI Fragmentating

This is due to the battery forcing a lower power output.

Laptop’s tend to be trickier to modify than standard desktops.

My MSI for example. I cannot set a custom fan curve. Mostly because it has one fan to cool both the CPU and GPU down. It also doesn’t allow me to undervolt the video card. 3050Ti, which is at best a 45W card, though when playing I normally don’t see it go above 40W.

In your case, you could download MSI Afterburner. You can get it here:

https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

Regardless what brand of laptop/GPU manufacturer, this tool can access most cards. But lower tier cards often don’t allow for some customization, especially on laptops.

My 3050Ti only allows me to change the clock speed, that’s it. I can lower the CPU usage % under the power setting in Windows to help the CPU usage, and you can set the power consumption for the graphic card to a lower setting, but that may not always work. Some laptop BIOS setups also may lock out features you would find on a normal desktop. Some may have hidden settings that you have to know the keystroke combination for. Don’t ask me what those are, they vary model to brand to year released and not all of them have this.

If you install the tool and it allows you to lower the GPU voltage, then you can adjust it, but only a little bit at a time. Small adjustments, test. Etc.

I was playing at ultra settings @1440p prior to the season patch with pretty much no issues. I have set it to medium to see if it would resolve the fenris, crash issues.

Ah I see.

And now you have artifacting going on too.

Well.

Not sure what else to suggest to be honest. But it sounds like its having a hardware issue of some sort. I hate to say that, I really do. But not sure why else it would start acting up that badly so quickly.

I know some people have had issues after the patch dropped, but we get someone complaining about issues with about every patch that has dropped so far too.

Don’t get me wrong, there ARE some problems with the game, I’m not trying to say there isn’t. But obviously it isn’t affecting everyone either. Which kinda sucks too, as I know its frustrating to have issues.

Anyway. I would still run some tests. Try these out:

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/
https://www.passmark.com/
https://www.maxon.net/en/cinebench
https://benchmark.unigine.com/
https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark
https://benchmarks.ul.com/pcmark10

If you use any of these, be sure to run extensive tests, or long tests.

I believe that most tests have lost their relevance. They can only reveal obvious problems.

I get the impression that FurMark creates a large even load on the card, and problems are most often caused by asymmetrical loading. FurMark creates such a large load that the fans on my video card don’t come on until 5-10 seconds after startup, and I don’t even know if the stress test has started unless I look at the monitoring. This is clearly a bad kind of testing. Oh, and the rest of the tests are from the same series.

When checking the CPU, for example aida64, the stress test gives a lower CPU load than the performance tests. This is just ridiculous.

And the problems usually start when the air in the case starts to warm up.

For example it can be useless to test RAM if the case is not running the video card and CPU at full power, thus warming up the air in the case.

As long as the memory can be cooled by cooler air, it can remain stable like other hardware.

Thank you for the information dude. Ever since I started and all the numerous issues I have with this particular game, I realized there are a lot of people in the community willing to help, while Blizzard doesnt even seem to admit there is a problem with the game.

1 Like

There’s well-known VRAM leaks with the game currently, to which DTMAce has commented in some of the threads, so it’s surprising he says your card is dying vs sending you to check out those threads.

Didn’t read any further in this thread. Stopped here to point you in a direction that may help.

Well known to who? Developers have confirmed the problem on the game side? Can they reproduce it to see where the source of the problem is so they can fix it all?

Well, essentially, both could be true. You have to rule out one to end up with the other.

There have been some on here that simply had bad hardware in one form or another. And others that are seeing stress related issues, but that doesn’t exclude a potential hardware defect either.

Again (and I know I have said this before) I’m not saying the game/Blizzard is entirely without fault with regards to how hard the game pushes hardware.

Ultimately, if the hardware is working correctly, it should protect itself. Secondly if needed, you should take steps to minimize the risk or harm to the hardware from being pushed hard enough to cause a potential issue.

Eventually there should come a point in time where the game is tuned enough to prevent any extreme stress. Till then, take steps to protect your equipment, rather than run everything at max and expect it to not blow up. *shrug

Its akin to buying a car and driving it in a city that has an average speed of 100MPH. Sure, it should handle it, but eventually its going to break something probably sooner than expected. Is that a fault of the manufacturer because it mechanically failed, the city you travel though because it has high speed limits, or the driver for not protecting their vehicle from harm from extended hard use by slowing down and being more cautious?

Game on.

No, your card is already dead. Get it replaced with something working.

Factory overclocked and broken GPU.
Nothing to do with the game.

It could simply be a worn thermal interface or cooling system.

Reducing the voltage reduces the heat dissipation. But there is a side effect: the voltage may become insufficient for stable operation

I’ve uninstalled the drivers clean install and reinstalled 536.67. I have not played the game long enough to really give any judgement on drivers atm. But I have had PC lock ups still no fragmentation or artifacts. I have also gone in to Geforce control panel and limited FPS to 120 monitor is 144. I have also disabled Dynamic shadows in game, this one was huge for me, and played around with various other in-game settings to lower any type of stress.

My battle pass is completed at 64 and I am done for the season unless they update the game with significant improvements to stability and in-game “Fun”

LATENCY is still a huge WTF???

Cool, but what that has to do with Blizzard? It’s your GPU dying.

What stability improvements? How can Blizzard fix your card, or GPU drivers?

It’s not the card dying, Just ran several benchmarks with Heaven benchmark no issues running ultra settings with tessellation. its Diablo 4. My crashes result in Fenris error’s. No other games gives me crashes, or stability issues.

You can’t test to confirm system stability, you can only confirm system instability.
And games can load the system even more.

Passing stress tests is not an argument. They’re no longer relevant. They can only help when the problem is obvious.

I’m sure that the cards that burned during the D4 game and were recognized as defective by the manufacturer could also pass all these stress tests.

Played GTFO max settings, apex max settings, and only other game POE max settings nothing causes stability issues. I get Fenris crashes with Diablo 4. My artifacts have gone away since doing a clean install of the latest driver. The crashes have not.

That’s not an argument. Games load the system differently. It’s not just the load, it’s the pattern of the load. That’s why stress tests aren’t really appropriate.
You can crash in one game at once, and in some stress test it will take a dozen minutes or it will be passed successfully.

I’m not claiming that your card is 100% guilty. But your conclusions are wrong.

You could also use something heavier. But there’s no telling what’s harder than the game or this stress test. It’s like getting punched in the liver or getting poked in the eye.

Be careful if your hardware is faulty it can burn out just like the cards burned out in D4
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/kombustor/

2 Likes

You said yourself:
“I have my own fan curve, lowered voltage and can set the fans to manual.”

All hardware must work 100% stable before you blame the game. I’d say, hardware must work stably in default settings first. Yours is not. If your card cannot pass a few minutes of play without custom underclocking, then it’s faulty. Get your card replaced before it dies. Your hardware issue has nothing to do with Blizzard, they cannot help you with your PC stability.

This is a bit of an assumption. While there’s a chance the card could be bad, it also could be something else.

This is actually good.

Potentially.

What I think you might be missing is the fact they went from having artifacts (which have now been fixed with a driver reinstall) to just having Fenris crashes, which may or may not be hardware related.

And if they are running other things and nothing is wrong, running tests that pass, and the only thing giving them a problem IS the game, then there is a valid point with their position.

This doesn’t excuse the hardware from potentially having an issue either, but its less likely now than it was a few posts back.

1 Like

Its so funny when people blame the hardware. I literally got a new machine to run this. Ok you will say, new, maybe there is factory defect. Ok fair point, but why am I capable of running far more demanding games and have no issue.

" if the hardware is working correctly, it should protect itself" It does, that’s why I get thrown out of the game when I open my Inventory UI in town and temps go from 45C to 98C lol.

And my (gotta mention again new) machine, while performing amazing on highest settings cant handle 5 item textures in the inventory.

While I enjoy this game, when I dont get crashes, I am considering to leave it, as in the long term this kind of stress on the hardware will wear it down and moreover i feel sorry for paying 100$ for this game (yep stupid me preordered Ultimate edition) but in the end the machine itself is 40 times more expensive so you gotta make the choice.

All hardware has defects. If you don’t have defects in your hardware, it doesn’t need any driver updates, firmware updates, etc. And it doesn’t need support either. Because everything will work fine without it. Meanwhile, all the hardware is problematic and it’s only a matter of time before the next problem pops up.

Nvidia cards have a target temperature of 83 degrees, above this temperature the card should reduce the frequency, very strongly reset to normalize the temperature. All the way down to its base frequency. And if it drops below that, the card can no longer work properly. If used properly, the card should run at base frequencies under all loads.

That’s how your card works. Your flawless card. That can’t handle a simple game.

Only complaints about the heavy load on some parts of the hardware and poor performance are valid. No complaints about temperature, fan speed, etc. And your hardware should work fine even so. But a broken fps limiter in the game, that’s a problem.

1 Like