The definitive solution for Tempering (and Masterworking) RNG | Add a Slow but Safe option šŸ¢

There is a fourth option, have Blizzard disable their super secret RNG system and actually implement a simple, completely fair, equal chances system.

No matter how ā€œexpensiveā€ you make the unlimited options, they wont be expensive enough. This is just not realistic to balance.
Well, unless the reset cost is an identical item to the one you want to reset, obviously :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is an option that could work imo:
Sacrifice one GA on an item, for a temper reset. Like, turning a 3GA into a 2GA for a reset. If it is a 3GA that you want to reroll one of the affixes on, you would essentially get a reset for free.
Since the cost here is the item itself, power creep cant make it meaningless over time.

Hereā€™s the real option. Sell the reset in the item shop for 1000 platinum.

Do you think the enchantment is balanced?
Serious question.

Spending resources instead of finding the item you want is something that is already integrated into the game. And the complaints only came when the item was bricked for impossible amounts of gold.

Iā€™m not saying anything new. Thatā€™s why in the original post (Intro) I apologize in case someone had already suggested it.

Should at minimum have kept the increasing cost, instead of capping it.

In any case, enchanting isnā€™t having 2-3 different options that compete with each other, there is only the one option (spend gold to reroll). Unlike your proposal of 3 different ways to temper. Just saying you will have a very hard time balancing those.

I think it is much more difficult to balance the current system to keep two different types of players happy.

I also think that balancing the power of the classes is also much more harder :sweat_smile:
(Whatā€™s more, if you have class imbalance, you will have different farming speeds, and that affects any system that involves farming)

The solution for Tempering (and Masterworking) RNG is to not do it.

Hereā€™s my suggestion, I agree with the resetā€¦

We already have an item that we get in abundance over timeā€¦ the ā€œScattered Prismā€. That item should also have the power to reset tempering.

I would start with making it so you can apply whatever tempering you want. However, it would be at the minimum level. Then through in game drops you can slowly improve that tempering. Make it a random increase or whatever. Done.

Then fix enchantment because itā€™s utterly useless right now.

I would just leave the tempering system as it is. I dont mind bricking an item anymore. I enjoy the itemhunt and if im lucky im happy twice as much. I already had good luck but i also run 5 items that are not 100% bis. All 12/12.

The best part is that, with what I say, you can continue enjoying the current system. There is no need for you to interact with the safe option.

Hereā€™s another idea to the list (for tempering)
Right now each recipe has like 4-6 outcomes, assign each outcome with a gem icon and add an ā€œoptional reagentā€ slot where we could use a gem (based on the rarity of the recipe, royal for legendary) in order to guarantee that particular affix

Basically agree, but the cost for the safe option needs to take into account the fact that the risk option could potentially have bricked a good item, which you now have to find again. Iā€™d say we do that by making it take time in addition to materials, and the time increases based on the number of GA Affixes on the item.

So, the safe option for tempering:

• Oil Tempered (Safe) with no GA affixes: 5 to 10 times more expensive, no time cost.
  • Oil Tempered (Safe) with 1 GA affixes: 5 to 10 times more expensive, takes 48 hours of real world time to apply.
  • Oil Tempered (Safe) with 2 GA affixes: 5 to 10 times more expensive, takes one week of real world time to apply.
  • Oil Tempered (Safe) with 3 GA affixes: 5 to 10 times more expensive, takes three weeks of real world time to apply.

You can still play the game and even temper other items during the time cost.

McTempering, have it your wayā€¦.

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

The solution is to make Tempering a loot system (as opposed to predetermined collection), then make RNG out of everything in it (affix rolls in the manual, their ranges, and amount of attempts)

Here are some examples (copied from another thread)

Resilience package (1)

Life per hit
Barrier generation
Armor %
Damage reduction while injured X%
** Rolls: 3

Resilience pack (2)

Fortify % [10-15]%
Life per second [130-175]
Equipped aspect of Assimilation gains [25-50]% additional Fortify generation
**Rolls: 2

Resilience pack (3)

Fortify % [20-30]
Life per second [75-125]
Bonus fortify generated by Bash [15-25]%
**Rolls: 7

Resilience pack (4)

Armor % [5-12]
Max HP [800-1200]
Dodge % [6-8]
**Rolls: 1

Destruction package (1):

Basic skills damage increase [33-70]%
Mastery skills damage increase x[25-40]%
Critical hit chance [7-12]%
Conceited Aspect gains [75-125]% damage increase
Rolls: 8

This way the moment a Temper manual drops you can know how risky it is to use or just sack (or if itā€™s too good to waste but you already have what you have then use for trading purpose/s)

The possibilities are ENDLESS, right now what we have ?, a failsafe nerfed version of a system that if used completely in itā€™s potential can literally make the game about 20x better

1 Like

I kinda agree but Iā€™m sure that no one will like a countdown system like in mobile games.

I meanā€¦ itā€™s designed to frustrate you so much that you want to pay to avoid it.

1 Like

The best idea I have heard (from wudijoā€™s podcast, he said from chat) is to couple the number of additional reroll with the number of GA, for example:

• 1GA: 1 or 2 additional reroll
  • 2GA: 2 or 4 additional reroll
  • 3GA: 4 or 6 additional reroll

I think this is simply genius. It makes finding GA no longer that dreadful because you are afraid of turning it into scrap.

1 Like

I will add it as a ā€œspecial material/gem to guarantee outcomes.ā€
(I try to summarize them for the first post. If you have a better one, just say so)

I realy like it, but it involves a complete redesign.
I think itā€™s good to keep the solution simple (just for now) so that it can be implemented quickly.

Giving items with more GAs more Tempering attempts would help.

Otherwise do something simple like requiring an escalating quality/amount of Pit mats to re-temper. For example first re-temper is 100 Obdicite, 2nd is 100 Ingolith, 3rd is 100 Neathiron then escalating amounts of Neathiron.

So I guess it would be like Enchanting in some respects, but at least getting the Pit mats is something you want to do anyway and by this point probably the most fun part of the game.

Enchantment has a limit to how much it can increase the price, so that would be missing.