Xeon CPU + Diablo 2 = friends forever?

Will Diablo II: Resurrected support older Xeon processors? Not a graphics requirement, but the very fact of launching the game on the Xeon.

i am also curious if they have a ā€œlegacy only installā€ modeā€¦ it sounds like it might work if they support that for slower computers, but

xenon is pretty dang oldā€¦ like how old is your computer? i donā€™t recall xenon even being used since around 2010
youā€™re certainly due for an upgrade regardless. so i would start saving regardless.

i certainly wouldnā€™t get your hopes upā€¦ my machine is only from 2017 ( because thats when it got fried from come contractors daisy- chaining their power-strips with multiple high amp tools to my computerā€™s powerstrip. luckily they had to pay for the damage and i got a free upgrade)

but im still going to try to get an RTX 3000 series if this dang chip shortage ever ends

1 Like

During a pandemic, itā€™s not easy to update the hardware, and sit on the old of the iron is a verdict. There are games for example Apex legends does not support old CPUs.

In all honesty i did think about this myself as well. It might be a good QoL feature that would allow people who canā€™t get graphics cards for the next 3 years to be able to play without lag. Depending on how it is implemented in the engine when you toggle it, it might be shutting off the high graphics. I find this unlikely though because of the speed of switching.

1 Like

If it can run original Diablo II in terms of processor requirements, it can run D2:R just about the same I reckon. Given theyā€™ll be reusing the original game engine, Iā€™d be more worried about the graphics card though.

Blizzard Support - Diablo II: Resurrected System Requirements Hereā€™s the official requirements.

1 Like

Mind telling us what your processor is? just curious.

1 Like

Processor: IntelĀ® XeonĀ® E5472
Video: Nvidia GTX 760
Memory: 16 Gb RAM (ddr3)

Yeah I think it should be ok, and graphics card just hovering a bit above min spec too, should be fine and dandy if VV/Blizzard optimizes on release properly.

But if you want to take the pessimistic route, consider maybe upgrading the graphics card. Iā€™d even consider upgrading processor, just in general, since wellā€¦ itā€™s pretty dang old, but I will say Iā€™m not psychic and until we see performance on release, itā€™s best to be on the safe side of things.

Hereā€™s your processor vs the minimum spec processor, if you do want to upgrade the processor, get something with similar and or greater single thread performance to the IntelĀ® Core i3-3250.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E5472-vs-Intel-i3-3250/1705vs2034

Also just a warning, if you do upgrade your processor, it might also entail a motherboard upgrade, since the chipset is older. Here are the processors compatible with your assumed chipset: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/5400.html

2 Likes

The single thread rating on the E5472 might cause some stuttering problems when thereā€™s a lot going on. Since youā€™re likely running ECC memory, thatā€™s going to slow the loading times down.

I hope to see them release a ā€˜liteā€™ version of D2:R with standard graphics, that way those who donā€™t have a speedy system can still play. Keep your fingers crossed.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t look like you can run the i3/i5/i7 desktop chips in a LGA771 socket. :frowning:

You might be able to get a faster Xeon chip that will work in your system. The E5472 is already close to the top of that Xeon lineup, so finding one higher might be difficult and/or expensive. You would also need to check the TDP rating of the chip to make sure it doesnā€™t go any higher than the one you have, which is 80 watts, otherwise you might inherit unwanted thermal issues.

Xeons are typically slower than desktop processors when it comes to single thread workloads. (games) So upgrading will likely not give you that much of a performance upgrade when running games.

Check your motherboards CPU support list to see which processors it can run with. If you do decide to go the upgrade route, make sure your board is running the latest motherboard firmware to ensure that the board can run with the chip.

Check your current chip versus potential upgrades with the compare tool on www.cpubenchmark.net to see which one would be best. Look for upgrades that have the highest single thread ratings.

As far as obtaining a chip, eBay is going to be your best bet on finding something.

You might also be able to run non-ECC RAM with the system, which would give a boost to loading times. Again, this would be something youā€™d need to research to see if your board can support non-ECC RAM.

1 Like

Thank you
Gigabyte ep45t-ud3lr
16Gb of RAM (4Gbx4 Samsung PC3-12800) non-ECC

Ehā€¦ Youā€™re running a desktop board with a Xeon.

My bad, I was thinking that was the first gen i-series lineup. (Nehalem)

Thatā€™s the Core2-Duo/Quad era! :grimacing:

Iā€™m afraid youā€™re already roughly as fast at that system is capable of. Since youā€™re running non-ECC RAM, then thereā€™s not much else youā€™re going to be able to do to squeeze more performance out of that system.

The E5472 is slightly faster than the fastest Core2-Quad that board supports, which is the Q9650.

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually very bizarre, given the socket of that board, ideally you want to use a processor that actually matches the socket, in your case LGA 775ā€¦ I guess something like that is possible in this caseā€¦ but thatā€™s a first for me. I learned something new today lol.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a sticker mod you can place on the bottom of a LGA771 Xeon chip that adds the two pin pads to adapt it to a 775 socket. I guess the other two pins arenā€™t needed for the modā€¦ :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah I just read about it, incredibly bizarre indeed, but it looks like people do in-fact do this.

1 Like

Reminds me of using a conductive silver trace pen to unlock the old AMD Athlon Thunderbird chips. :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh wow that system is reaaaallyy old. Even a RTX 3080 (okay, alpha version of the game) will drop down to 30 fps @3440x1440 when the screen is full of effects. Donā€™t know how your gtx 760 can handle that gameā€¦

1 Like

elementary monitor size @1680x1050