World PVP toggle and Duel feature D4

No one is forcing you to do pvp. Why are you pretending that any of this would

Sure but that also isn’t just people randomly encountering each other, the game is directly placing an invader near a player in a subsection of the game.
Invasions could work fine. As long as they are completely optional.

No. Not at all.
You have an amazing ability to talk nonsense about games you probably never played :smiley:

1 Like

What is the difference between might be built and are built. Along with needing to remove almost. Now do you see what I am saying.

I’m pro-PvP but you have to get this, you do PvP in isometric ARPG for “fun”. In no way it’s a reliable way to gauge player skill as there are so many dice rolls included when progressing your character.
You can’t have full control in the situation and your tactical knowledge won’t go further than estimating closed cards (your enemy’s skill cooldowns) and abusing some environmental hazards as shown in official site and videos.

With this in mind, also consider without active trading communities to set up some rulesets it will not be a long lasting affair. Community has to be involved to make PvP somewhat fair for both parties. Otherwise free overworld PvP has its own flaws but it’s all just for fun and you shouldn’t take it serious in any way. Since PvP will be largely tied to trading communities, you can also say that the audience will be pretty small as well.

Everyone thinking pvp will be really small playerbase, how do you know?

PVP is HUGELY popular in gaming. Check the steam charts. Sure some will find ways of saying that single player games are popular. But all I have to do is go look at the steam charts to see the most played, most popular, most hours put in, with all the record breaking stats for player engagement for pretty much the entire list, are pvp games.

The way people should be looking at this is: the player base has the potential to be extremely high as pvp games are extremely popular.

The only thing stopping a game being in that list, is whether the pvp is good or not.

D4 has the opportunity to have a large player base of pvp players. The only requirement for this is making a good game. If the game is good and the pvp is fun then it will garner a large player base. Saying you know how big the pvp player base will be is just a guess.

No difference what you’re saying still doesn’t make sense. Dark Souls did not make skills the way you describe. Loads that are excellent in pve are terrible in pvp.

true as long as they dont make the same mistakes by forcing pvp and pve to co-exist if players want to gank and grief then by all means knock yourselves out as long as the pvp is a toggle option that shifts them into only being able to interact with those that also flag up

the majority of players dont want to have to keep watching over their shoulders for some ganker waiting until they engage an uber boss or any large mob of normal baddies only to be attacked by them in order to purposely ruin their own gameplay

theres plenty of people that would willingly flag for pvp even in a game like D4 but they should have the choice be their own and not be left up to the wrong type of player that will abuse the pvp for their own trolling amusement

if people want to pvp it should be their choice and not forced upon them by others you toggle pvp on and take your chances but if you choose to only fight AI controlled creatures then you still have that option as well

D3 handled pvp perfectly by making the battle area players were able to destroy each other in a controlled environment it allowed them to unleash their best or worst pvp on others and it didnt interfere with the rest of the game

honestly it was leaps and bounds above the pvp combat option in D2 which blocked non hostile players from defending themselves unless you also toggled hostile on but it didnt prevent the already hostile player from attacking you

1 Like

PvP is hugely popular in gaming where it’s at. ARPG PvP is not an entirely a popular culture as it thrives from randomization, yet randomization is a factor that curbs competitiveness.
To recall, speedrunners (who try to compete leaderboards of single player games) in general try to mitigate or minimize this when going for their personal best or world records. It’s a factor that curbs skill play beneath everything. In a genre that gives player full control, PvP can be better understood but with so many different aspects in something so niché as isometric ARPG, it could be misnomed.

For example; PvP in Diablo 2 needed help of trading community to stand on its legs because it’s a huge nitpicky job just to loot the right gear piece for your PvP oriented character. Trading community, as in players who actively encourage trading, are a rather small fraction of entire D2 playerbase, yet their influence on D2 PvP is unquestionable. They are the people who tested everything and created rulesets. Before those rulesets any PvP with mutual agreement was an imbalanced mess or a griefing tool.

The same thing is happening in Elden Ring right now. It’s extremely unbalanced because they went the route of “everything is op”. So you might get beaten by something op but you were probably using an equally as op build yourself that had its chances of winning.

And everyone loves the pvp in Elden Ring. Ofc there will always be complaints about stuff that’s op, but the pvp was very well received and a lot of FUN.

I tried many builds and got many kills. And many other builds killed me. I never felt like it was the build that really killed me but the player playing it. Builds that are considered mid can dumpster players running the most op broken build if the player had more skill.

It can be done Elden Ring proves this.

There’s also never been much attention or dev time dedicated to pvp in all of these games. People don’t stick around for a game to be working or fun when it’s not even being developed well in the first place. This needs to change and people need to stop pretending arpgs can’t do pvp well. Wow is another great example of a pvp system that has loads of randomness but is definitely beloved by its player base and there is definitely a lot of skill involved. It’s really a lot of bad decisions during development that has let them down over the years but Blizz has learned a lot from their mistakes and should use everything they’ve learned to really make pvp good this time.

Elden Ring is a third person Action RPG, Diablo is an isometric ARPG; it’s comparably a sub genre and even a niché approach to vast majority of titles classified under RPG. In a third person ARPG players have control over their choices and not everything is laden with heavy randomization. Comparing a third person action RPG with isometric ARPG is like comparing apples to oranges.
Genres have different strong points and PvP isn’t entirely the strong suite of isometric ARPGs. Just because you see ARPG or Hack’n Slash somewhere on the genre label, doesn’t mean different games have the same approach or features.

PVP needs to be brought into arpgs more and developed better in mmos.

Haters gonna hate but the real problem is the development is bad. Not that it can’t be done or won’t be popular. This is a fallacy.

Showing a good example of isometric ARPG PvP can be a good start to prove your points. I have a few on top of my head but they weren’t exactly bright examples either. I’m in for PvP in any ARPG for fun but taking it serious is just out of ordinary.

Okay.

No it’s not required. An arpg with good pvp is required for people to actually play it. This is all that needs to happen.

Besides Diablo, Lost Ark and POE all have pvp. It’s clearly something devs care about and players. It really just needs to be developed properly.

I’m not against it, but I don’t see much point in a world pvp/duel function since we’re supposed to rarely see other players outside of our parties, world events, or pvp zones; so it would rarely get used. Not to mention that even if you did run into someone while outside, there’s no guaranteed that they’d want to pvp, and as such if you’re looking for pvp, you’re not likely to get it. Having specific zones or areas would see far more pvp usage than the world pvp duel toggle, simply because it’d be more convienient and you’d know that the folks there are willing to pvp. I mean that’s a reason why most D2 duels took place in act 1 blood moore as opposed to anywhere else in the game. In fact I think that in all the years I had pvped in D2, I’ve only had less than 10 duels (not counting fights against griefers) that took place in places other than act 1 blood moore.

So yeah, I’m not against it, but personally I’d simply go to the fields of hatred for pvp since I know that nearly everyone else there are there for pvping as well.

During an hour session you might bump into someone once say. So you could potentially fight someone once an hour or so. It would get used plenty.

That’s precisely why a toggle feature for world pvp and duel function are needed.

I tried the whole evil pvp thing moi haha. I really don’t see how it’s better than pve.

this is literally the worst system.

pvpers want immersion too. give me a server where i can hunt. a server where i know i can be hunted. a server where i can trap and ambush skilled pvpers.

do not give me a casual pvers toy playground with halfbutt mechanics and goofy toggle systems.

What are you on about? Casual pvp players a toy?

And you, the hardcore pvp player, your suggestion is to have a pvp server where you can be hunted, and you can hunt people and trap and ambush them.

Two things.

1. This is literally the exact same system you’re just too ignorant to see it

2. Pvp servers have never, and will never exist in Diablo. Diablo has NEVER had servers.

So this is literally the closets thing to that style of gameplay that you yourself profess that you want.

In fact, it’s EXACTLY the same. The only difference is that pvp can be toggled off which is a necessity for players that don’t want to pvp in a game that will never have separate servers. How do you not realise this?

This is possibly the dumbest comment I’ve ever read.

1 Like

It could be a mode like HC. But I agree, it is unnecessary and a toggle is much better. Since there is no need for permanent separation unlike in HC.

What’s that got to do with pvp. Hardcore players just alt f4 when they get hostiled anyway lol. Such hardcore pvp player!

You would pick “PvP mode” on character creation. Similar to HC character creation.