WoL LoD Monk Bug, Edit: Stone Gauntlets + Epiphany

Edit: The bug appears to be the result of an interaction between Stone Gauntlets and Epiphany. Instead of clearing the attack speed debuff, it becomes permanent and no attacks (including townportal) are possible even after activating Epiphany or waiting for the debuff to naturally expire.

This has happened to me a few times and obviously it’s a huge concern as I play HC.

I’m playing my WoL LoD monk and everything is going fine when all of a sudden I can no longer do some abilities. I cannot cast WoL, I cannot cast Townportal, and others. I can still cast Epiphany and I can still move, thankfully. This just happened again a few minutes ago.

There’s obviously some bug here, but unfortunately I don’t have any more details.

This hero : https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/Cavendar-1706/hero/134016068 ?

You’re probably seeing the negative effect of the Stone Gauntlets that the Monk is wearing… if you were not playing HC, it’d suggest testing without the Stone Gauntlets. It’s probably not a good idea to try that however… The difference in toughness could literally kill you. You could do some testing with Pauli…

There is an icon over the skill bar when the Stone Gauntlets start to impact you… if it says “5”, you’re not going to be able to attack…

There are some items that can negate the Stone Gauntlets effects – the Ice Climbers boots for example… or a lvl 25 Invigorating Gemstone. I think that the Bottomless potion of the Unfettered would also work for a short period of time.

You may want to post in the Monk forum for some assistance. There may also be skills that can negate the Stone Gauntlets negative effect.

==================================================

P.S. : there’s also a bug that prevents you from attacking when wearing those gauntlets… It has occurred to me once on a Crusader. The “5” effect became permanent and I couldn’t even open a door nor click on an exit. I had to leave the game to fix it. Happened to me only once… don’t know if it was ever fixed.

4 Likes

Thank you for your thorough response. I’m fairly confident you have the right of it. Epiphany is supposed to prevent the slowed movement and attack speed, and it usually works. This time, I let Epiphany drop just for a second, but apparently the effect of the gloves was partially permanent even after casting it again.

Fortunately I was able to move still, but attack and tp were disabled. I had to run back to a cleared area and exit the game to avoid being killed.

I would say that bug still exists. This is not the first time I’ve had this happen.

1 Like

Casting Epiphany should not cancel the negative effects of the gloves if they are already active, from what I have heard.

You have to not get hit while you are waiting for the effects of the gloves to drop off. Then, once you start getting hit again, you will only have the positive effects.

I believe that Teleport counts as an attack for some reason since it also triggers things like Sash of Knives, and that is why it seems like Teleport is disabled, since your attack speed drops to as low as 0.1 attacks/sec, or 1 attack every 10 secs.

Perhaps Teleport counts as an attack since it is like a skill on the skill bar, Not sure,

2 Likes

Just to be clear here, there is definitely a bug.

I was able to move at full speed, meaning the normal negative effect of Stone Gauntlets was not active. I was able to cast Epiphany 2 times while I was running away trying to get to a clear spot. In other words, it wasn’t just a matter of waiting for the debuff to drop off. Once the bug took effect, I was not able to attack or tp at all, regardless of the amount of time that passed.

I’m also not sure I agree with your statement. I will have to test it to be sure but from memory, I’m fairly certain I’ve had Epiphany clear the effect as I cast it. Same as DH Vengeance and the Crusader and Barbarian power modes. You should be instantly immune to the negative effects.

I swapped gloves to ones that give you a shield when you encounter an elite group. I didn’t see the bug again, but that’s not conclusive since it hasn’t happened every time I’ve played that build.

Edit: Just tested it. Epiphany clears the negative effect of Stone Gauntlets immediately.

1 Like

So, let me get this out of the way first: I am not saying that the gauntlets are not bugged, because I do not know for certain.

I have seen both scenarios from video documentation, but they were on different classes, and using different skills, but I have not extensively tested it. Question: Should Epiphany clear only the negative effects of the SG, but still allow you to keep the armor stacks? Where does it say that Epiphany (and other similar skills) should release you from all Crowd Control effects?

Blizzard does not share any info with the players about what is “supposed” to happen, so we are left to look at the item description and make educated guesses, and to observe what happens in game.

If the same actions produce different results, then I would agree that something is bugged regardless of what their original intention was.

So, that being said…

In your post above, you say that your movement speed returns to normal, but that you can not teleport or attack afterward, no matter how long you wait. Can you reproduce this consistently, or inconsistently? Can you record a video of this and post it here?

In my last post, I said that casting Epiphany should not clear the negative effects of the gloves, but that is just my understanding of what I have seen in the game, and read on the forums.

If you think that it SHOULD clear the negatives, then I think we agree, but that is not what I have seen and heard. Do you know that this is how it is intended to work, or is it just an opinion? Blizzard has never said what is supposed to happen under every circumstance. Perhaps that is why there are inconsistent results, and people come here to say there is a bug, but when they test it more, they can either not reproduce it, or do not have the patience to give it a thorough test.

What are your thoughts, and what do you base them on?

If we are only talking about permanently losing the ability to attack and teleport after casting Epiphany while you have Stone Gauntlet stacks, then I think we can all agree that this is a bug. Can you provide a video showing this in action so that Blizzard and others on the forums have something to rely on other than anecdote?

On a side note, and if you plan to actually run some tests:

If you have 3 stacks of SG buffs while Epiphany is active (no penalty to attack/movement speed), but then Epiphany expires, what happens on the next hit from an enemy? Do you get 4 stacks of armor, and 1 stack of negative movement/attack speed? Or do the previous 3 stacks get overwritten as negative stacks?

If you DO get mixed stacks where some stacks are only armor, but some include armor and the attack/movement debuff, and you then cast Epiphany, does it clear all the stacks, or just the negative effects of the stacks? Are you verifying your attack/movement speed and armor in your inventory to make sure it is consistently clearing the attack/movement speed debuff, but keeping the Armor buff?

Yeah, I kind of question that too. I’ve seen several players say your buff must be active before you get hit. Otherwise, it won’t cancel the negative effects of Stone Gauntlets.

I always stayed away from using them. But, this Season (24) I let my Demon Hunter run GR45 without Set items for a Conquest. The build I chose included Stone Gauntlets. (Equipped, not cubed). I never got all the correct items. I just threw on a bunch of Legendary items. Only one or two were even Ancient. LoD Gem was only Rank 25.

I got hit several times when Vengeance would expire. It was then I finally understood what other players had been experiencing. It was like trying to react in slow motion. Like my DH was trying to run through thick molasses.

I hit Vengeance as soon as it came off Cooldown and my DH was off and running again.

I’m sure the best case scenario is to have enough Cooldown Reduction to keep your buff up 100% of the time and/or have items equipped that negate Movement Speed impairment.

From what you describe in the OP, it sounds like you’re experiencing something different.

You might want to make a video of this and post the URL to it here, as VitaKaninen suggests. It would certainly help Blizzard’s QA Team determine was is happening… (or not happening).

1 Like

Hit me up sometime when you are bored, and we can test and discuss. It is hard to play on 2 keyboards/monitors at the same time in the brawling grounds.

I tested it in the most simple way possible.

I equipped Stone Gauntlets and had Epiphany on my bar. Then I went into a GR 1 (without follower or allies of course). After getting hit 5 times by mobs and being fully slowed, I activated Epiphany and the slow was immediately canceled even though the stacks stayed up.

Anyone else is welcome to try this if you still have doubts.

The bug is slightly different from the expected effect of activating Epiphany with the SG debuff. It appears to be related to the interaction between SG and Epiphany, but I cannot reproduce it consistently. I believe the steps to reproduce would be something like: Have 5 stacks of SG, let Epiphany fall off, get hit again, activate Epiphany. This will clear the movement slowness but not the attack slowness (which apparently also affects TP for no logical reason) leaving you unable to do any attack.

Yes. That is what happened. That is the bug that almost cost me my HC Monk. I’ve only seen it maybe 4 or 5 times since the start of season 24, so a video is almost impossible. Most of those were on my other (softcore?) Monk before I switched to HC.

I believe that was part of patch notes at some point. I hadn’t played for about a year before season 24 so I can’t say when exactly. I know there was a change in many recommended builds at the time to use SG as a result.

But again, you can easily test this in game. The stacks don’t drop, because the debuff is still there, but just like a shield pylon, with Epiphany or Vengeance active, you become immune to the negative aspect of the debuff.

2 Likes

I’m currently spending all my time in D2:R, so it would be a while. Plus, I rarely, if ever, use Stone Gauntlets. Therefore, it doesn’t really affect me.

You and Cavendar seem to have a good rapport going on. Maybe they can hook up with you and the two of you can test it out.  

I assure you all that stone gauntlets are not bugged, as many people have been assured on this forum before. In order to avoid the slow attacking animation after you’ve started moving slower is to not attack until you refresh your epiphany.

You can imagine the movement speed slow and attack speed slow being two separate “debuffs”, the first occurring instantly and being removed instantly by epiphany, and the second “being checked” only after attacking.
Dashing strike is an attack that deals damage and its animation speed scales with attack speed, in case you were wondering.

My experience certainly indicates that they are bugged. So let’s take a minute to clarify what the bug is.

Not a bug:
If you’re hit with SG equipped, you gain 1) armor 2) movement speed decrease 3) attack speed decrease.

Also not a bug:
If you have Epiphany (or any other power mode) active, (2) and (3) are ignored, because you’re immune.

Also not a bug:
If you do not have Epiphany active when you gain stacks of SG, but you then activate it, (2) is immediately cleared and (3) is cleared immediately if you haven’t attack while Epiphany is down or after some amount of time (5 or 10 seconds).

The Bug: I was able to achieve a state in which I was not able to perform any attacks at all. It wasn’t just a very slow attack, it was no attacks, including TP. This lasted for at least 60 seconds (more than enough time for the debuff to naturally expire) during which time I scrambled to find a safe place to exit the game.

TL;DR: The bug isn’t the normal effects of SG, but rather, the bug is being stuck in a state where you cannot attack at all indefinitely.

1 Like

There’s no sense in arguing about this. There’s enough information provided here for Blizzard’s QA Team to investigate the issue.

Let’s not forget that this is the Bug Report Forum.

If you would like to pursue this as a discussion, I would suggest you move this thread to the General Discussion Forum.

Click the ► icon below to see detailed instructions on how to move your thread.

Moving Threads
  1. Click the pencil icon next to the title of your thread. (See image below).

1. Click the "Category" field to bring up a list of D3 Forums. (See image below).

1. Find the proper Forum and select it.
  2. Save your edit.

This will move your thread to the selected Forum, including all replies.

Then I would highly recommend that you make a new post in this forum, titled “can’t teleport to town” or something, and focus on that phenomenon. I was just addressing your lengthy discussion about when the attack speed debuff and movement slow debuff, and when epiphany removes them, as you were evidently confused by it. Since this forum is filled with players encountering stone gauntlets for the first time, this post will probably be missed by everyone, including the blizzard employee who allegedly reads all posts on this forum.

On that new post, include a video with a demonstration of the bug. I understand that it’s not trivial to reproduce, but you say you have a formula that should be able to do it. You have to understand that from the point of view of all other players who pushed for hours with your setup and didn’t get stuck, your post doesn’t seem “convincing”, and I mean no offense by that. You can try to reproduce risk-free if you just remove all thorns and open a low-difficulty game.