Wizzard Sanctified Arcane Orb Bug

Is there a way to move or copy this thread to the PTR bug report section instead of feedback? I love DMO and arcane orbit (it used to be good eons ago), I’m having the same bug/issue, and I want to make sure the devs see this thread. I’m guessing that they prioritize the bug reports over the feedback…

I don’t think it’s a bug, I think it’s intended to work like this. That’s why the wording specifically calls out a different mechanic for Arcane Orbit.

So this does belong in feedback, because the feedback is that the power is too weak with Arcane Orbit. Or any rune that isn’t Frozen Orb, really.

It looks cool as hell with Scorch though.

Copied from Diablo III PTR 2.7.4 - Has Concluded — Diablo III — Blizzard News

" * Arcane Orb now periodically spawns up to four orbiting charges that will generate an additional orb when cast. All charges from the Arcane Orbit rune now detonate at the same time."

The first line references the entire Arcane Orb skill; there is no exclusionary language regarding the Arcane Orbit rune of that skill. Therefore; the other posters in this thread and I (and probably most other people) read the second line as an additional effect for the Arcane Orbit rune, not an alternative effect. If the second line was meant to be a replacement effect, I would imagine it would be more strongly worded as such.

It is also mentioned earlier in this thread that this could be working as intended, but if so needs a great deal of clarification in the power description. We are left to speculate upon the proper functionality of this power. So while this could be working properly, it could alternatively be a bug. Even a potential bug belongs in a bug report.

Even if Arcane Orbit is not supposed to generate additional charges (as it starts with four orbs), the power’s wording suggests that those orbs should still spawn passively and create a fifth orb when self-cast, which would all detonate simultaneously upon contact with a damageable entity. There is currently no passive orb generation and no fifth orb upon self-cast, the only part of the power that is functioning is the simultaneous detonation.

I can’t imagine that this is Blizzard’s intent, as in my experience the orbs of Arcane Orbit rotate fast enough that they will all detonate before stacks from the Arcane Dynamo passive can reach maximum again. Simultaneous detonation is pointless without the acquisition of additional charges, and I believe it is meant to be a slight drawback to encourage a change from typical Arcane Orbit face-tank playstyle to a more tactical one.

Instead of diving in with Spectral Blade - Barrier Blades to build Arcane Dynamo within the orbs’ detonation radius, the player would be encouraged to stay at range protecting orb charges until Dynamo is ready before going in for the detonation. This would synergize with the rework on the Delsere’s Magnum Opus set, using Magic Missile to build Dynamo while creating Slow Time bubbles and protecting the power’s orb charges. The player would then self-cast Arcane Orbit for the fifth charge and consume Dynamo, Teleport to the Slow Time bubble containing the intended target(s) (which resets Teleport) for detonation, and then Teleport back out to start the cycle again.

All speculation regarding the seasonal power aside, there is at least a visual bug when changing skill runes. When changing from any other rune to Arcane Orbit, the passive orbs from the previous rune persist indefinitely. While I think the pseudo-cosmetic looks brilliant (eight orbs of two different colors orbiting, with the ability to time casts changing the spacing and/or creating overlap); this is definitely a bug. This being bugged, in my opinion, reinforces the idea that the power itself is not functioning as intended.

TL;DR

Whether or not the power is functioning as intended, the wording does not clearly indicate the current functionality. There is also a definite visual bug when changing skill runes, indicating the power itself could be bugged. In any circumstance, the power’s description needs more clarification regarding any rune exclusivity.

I’m afraid TinneOnnMuin is correct on this sadly and that was my first assumption as well and indeed why they call out a different wording for Arcane Orbit. Like for example Frozen Orb can have 5 orbs firing once it builds up all charges, Arcane Orbit can just detonate 5 at once and not have to wait. This would be an advantage if Orbit didn’t do pitiful damage.

So in the devs mind Arcane Orb runes are balanced and fine as is and this gets them all to 4 extra orbs, but in reality Arcane Orbit is way far behind, as OP stated it would take 18 orbs to catch up to Frozen Orb with the sanctified power.

And yes if all orbs including orbit built up charges, then the charges casted the 4 orbits the playstyle would be much better as you’d be building up Arcane Dynamo and be strategic about the timing just like with all other runes.

So we want Orbit to not only detonate all orbs but use the sanctified effect to also charge up orbs that cast orbit too, not that it’s bugged, we just need the and added to Orbit since it’s that far behind in damage.

If this doesn’t get done then sadly it’s just all Frozen Orb again, the dev(s) do worship it afterall guess since it’s level 30 spell in D2 it must be the best lol…hey keeping with tradition is bittersweet.

still not working after the July 20th patch