Wizards and S22

I sometimes wonder if the Devs HATE the wizard. sure seems like they are trying to remove the class without actually saying it.

LOD Frozen Orb Is fun to play. I wish they had done something similar for other skills.

3 Likes

I still miss when Delsere set gave time bubble actual DPS. Why can’t we have more creativity like that?

2 Likes

Jokes on you, it can’t get any worse than unplayable, which now it is.

1 Like

Haha, so you’d think…

1 Like

it’s funny. the original devs loved the wizard and it was their favorite class, but now wizard is DEAD hahahaha

I totally agree with all of you!
Wizard is the only class I want to play.
But with all these bad changes to the Wizard I really don’t know if I will play this season or skip it.

Well, here are some suggestions:

For some classes, something resembling balance may be closer than it seems. For example, barbarian: rend is the strongest, but all the other builds (frenzy, frost slam, leapquake, HotA, charger) are enjoyable and have solid mechanics - only some number tweaking is needed, like with leapquake in 2.6.10. Same applies for crusader: FotH, blessed shield, invoker, hammer, sweep attack, condemn are all good builds - just weaker than heaven’s fury and ptr bombardment. Again, number tweaking will fix the class. DH, necro and monk are arguably in the same tier, obviously with varying levels of success. Careful, I’m not implying that these classes have parity now, only that most builds have good mechanics and simple number increases can fix them so that they perform at roughly the same level.

Next tier we have WD where there are some nice builds (mundu, jade, DoD) but most need in-depth changes to be made competitive due to inherent weaknesses or awful playstyle (the latter of course is subjective): gargantuan, firebats, zombie bears and weaker ones like acid cloud and angry chicken will not become good even with much higher damage.

And then we have wizard. At this point it’s best to leave her alone to die peacefully instead of continuously ignoring mobility and adding even more obscure and clunky mechanics to its few playable builds - and I’m not even talking about the awful sets.

4 Likes

You are totally right, Wiz is a dead class. I can’t imagine myself playing it again with saders, barbs, monks or dhs having a lot of fun and different builds. Wiz has the worst overall playstyle and no variety at all. I love vyrs and FO but i’ve played them for years…
Devs, you still have time, make Aether Walker great again (joking, AE has never be great): give it some % dmg (500 would be superb), no teleport delay and all runes. Save wizs s22.

I just watched Cratic’s LoD twister push guide, where he easily completes a 132 with a low mainstat toon on a double festering, with lots of time to spare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSd0WXXqpjw&t

Now don’t get me wrong, Cratic is a spectacular player and theorycrafter, easily the MVP of the wizard forum community. But it’s hard for me to be excited for this gameplay and there’s lots of reasons.

1. Corner stacking: hooray, the second most idiotic mechanic in the game is back (barb wall charging is still unbeatable in that respect). Looking for appropriate corners is really what diablo is all about. Blizzard not only recycles season themes, it even recycles mechanics from season 5. Does that mean that we will eventually get bazooka back? shudders
  2. Fishing to a whole new level: open map and mobs are not enough, now you need elites with the right affixes that also come at you on melee range (see how long it takes to kill the blue porcupines that stay at range on the video), and you need a RG that engages in melee range so that corner stacking will finish him off - Vesalius will take like an hour to kill. Exciting stuff.
  3. Walking around to maybe piss off mobs to follow you is just sad, wizard is in dire need for some mobility. Compare her move/group ability with any other class.
  4. Build obsolete outside of season 22 since it loses the X4.25 multiplier from deathwish, around 9 gr.

The build is strong, of course. But it sure doesn’t seem enjoyable - although I admit I haven’t tested it and I won’t since I won’t run wizard on S22.

7 Likes

It’s a shame that most of the dominant wizard builds were based on lousy mechanics. And even worse that blizzard decided to bring us back one of them … At least the build is dead on NS.

keep it quiet man… they might nerf it to the floor…

1 Like

To be brutally honest, I wouldn’t mind seeing that happen as it would pretty much garantee that only but the most desperate will play the class so perhaps then Devs might take notice what a total clusterf*** this class (and this dedicated patch) is.

I’m still sore they removed that, I quit the game for almost a year when they did it.

dunno what you’re even talking about.
:business_suit_levitating:t6:
Now stare into this pen for a second.

It’s unbelievable how difficult it is for them to buff a class. All you have to do is increase number values on gear that provides bonus damage to spells.
But they can’t even do that correctly… instead… they introduce Fragment and Blizzard to the Hydra set… and it’s an aweful playstyle. No wizard is going to do that.

You want people to play the set more… then boost the damage of the Hydra set to 3000 or even 4000! Because 2000% is still not enough obviously. And this is looking at it from a Non-Season perspective. When the season buff is gone, we are back where we started “wizards too weak, please buff”…

It’s so simple yet they chose to change the builds arounds and mess it up. I was looking forward to trying Hydra and Twisters for something new but all it took was 30 minutes of testing and they were still too weak. Yet the PTR lasted 3 weeks and nothing else was changed after…

What was the point then?

Never seen a developer so clueless on feedback from the community.
If you can type, then you can easily buff numbers up.

1 Like

Warmage: legendary gem
+XX damage whilst wielding a melee weapon
25+ Gain 30% damage reduction

Moshen’s Robe
(Insert) stats
Legendary power: +XXX Signature spell damage, casting a signature spell increases movement speed by 5% for 30 seconds, stacks up to 10 times

Patch is bad for wizs: FO is now an squishy build; hydras are boring to play and the worst new set by far; twisters… the build that nobody likes coming back. A tragedy.
And devs have killed all the channeling based builds without giving some power back to them… GIVE AETHER WALKER AN % ALL DMG MULTIPLIER FOR GODSAKE, IT’S EASY TO BRING SOME HOPE FOR THE CLASS.
Do it.

2 Likes

FB meteor has long been my favorite Wizard build. It really sucks to lose ES for meteor and leave FB a pathetic mess. I can kill things in T16 okay but survivability really sucks!

2 Likes

I wish devs didn’t put so much “effort” on the class, we are way worst than before.

2 Likes

Like I said before, such a huge damage buff is insane. Also, granting runes is fine, but all runes? That would turn the item from “usable in T16” into “complete garbage”. Who would actually want Reversal ?!

If I had to create a useful Aetherwalker and assuming that we won’t see further changes to Teleport for the time being - well, I guess it would look like this:

Aetherwalker:
+Min/Max DMG
+MainStat
+25-30 to Maximum Arcane Power
+3 random magic properties (2/1)

Teleport gains the Calamity and Safe Passage runes and attacks 200% faster. The skill no longer has a cooldown but consumes 25 Arcane Power per cast instead. Safe Passage now lasts twice as long and increases your damage dealt by 150-200%.

This would be a reasonable change.