Wizard situation

Changes are bad. Wizard is Bad. Worst damage, worst toughness, worst supporter.

Devs can you Show us how to Play Wizard so we can Understand If we doing wrong or you doing wrong?

15 Likes

Time to sub-contract balance changes out to some streamers.

Just a sandbox PTR client needed.

I know some will hate the idea, but it would have everything fixed in 30 days.

3 Likes

They seem to be pushing Wizards in S22 to all be Typhon’s with Blizzard. Say, “Goodbye!”, to autocast spells via Etched Sigil and “Hello” to manually casting Blizzard, Frost Hydra, and wailing with Spectral Blades to rebuild your magic. With no augmented gear and no legendary gems I easily cleared GR75 in hardcore – never even took any damage the whole rift. The rift guardian fight lasted a whole 3, maybe 4 seconds. I’ll be grinding out augments and legendaries over the next week to see just how far I can push this build. I’m hoping the 4th slot in Kanai’s will add something worthwhile.

@ Typhon’s
why is it necessary to rework the Typhon’s mechanics 2 Seasons after the set got introduced? I dont have a problem we have to use Blizzard/signature Spells. Many classes have to use at least two skills. Just standing Still and Channeling for every build is boring.

Now they are balancing (or try) for the 4-cube version. But what about next season? even if FO/Hydra and ET are competitive in S22. They will miss something in S23.

The introduction from DW and ES was a mistake. At least they are fixing one of them.

What bothers me most: It seams like that nobody at Blizz plays a Wizard. They also dont want to listen to the community or maybe Blizz stopped to balance old stuff altough it would only need some minor adjustments - not even new items or affixes, only numbers.

The bigger issue in my eyes is that blizzard and the signature spells will litterly just tickle the monsters cause the set dosent work with them

Many sets work in that way. 1/2 Skills to trigger the set bonus and push the damage. The third one does the damage.

Normally thats fine however with the way hydras work its not fine, the set needs something else to deal damage with it, thats why I proposed adding signature spells to to 6pc set and giving the legendarys that support signature spells multipliers

1 Like

Yeah, totally agree with the blizzard problem. It will be very annoying to get the mob in the blizzard, where the hydras can hit them. i guess we will need something to keep them in place(blizzard).

Like i said before, when you have to rework the set-mechanics after 2 seasons - somethings wrong.

Well the set doesn’t offer much mechanical advantages (outside of the extra heads) to warrant buffing only one skill imo. So asking for either a rework or for additional skills to be added to the set isn’t outside of reason. But that’s merely my own opinion on it.

I agree I think the Blizzard use is absolutely pointless, it’s literally just there so they can look at the skill usage and go “Oh look, Blizzard is being used again, we’re good then”. It does absolutely nothing . Signature spells aren’t that much off from doing nothing, sure Barrier Blades gives protection, Flame blades increases Fire damage for LoD - but that’s about it. Literally 18 other signature spells do nothing helpful.

I guess they forgot about that whole “Oh yeah, 90% of wizard spells are useless” thing, otherwise this in theory would have been a great idea.

1 Like

Should a wizard be altered? Hydra is to purposefully control hydra, in arcane, blaze / venom, ice, and restore the final mammoth form. The way it is expressed, is the major damage dealer for a wizard, instead of summoning random creatures.

There already an underworld creature, but the concept streamlined the phantom powers to give another magic option. The system with Diablo is then selecting another set of stars, for the look and feel of the character class. If a home world, is not as supportive of life, it gets a lower grade.

There is an attempt to understand, how other stars function in there life cycle. The result would alter humans on any world we attempted to call home. This is how this worked up to mammoth hydra, pulling the build together as a sonic build.

Weather wizard, is the american. So, if you choose to consider there actions as ‘evil’ or ‘good’, they are still more of a catalyst, revealing what humans can cause on our world.

With wrong i mean - Blizzard does not have a plan or an idea where the class will go. If they had one, they would have created a set that would fit to a bigger picture in first place. And without a big picture, its impossible to fix the Wizard problems at this point.

But overall i think we mostly agree over the actual state of the class.

Even if the set worked with them, they’d be useless. We would need reworked items for those skills to make them actually deal significant damage.

Seems like it, yes. They make some random changes and add stupid conditions like Winter Flurry. They want to break our dependance on DW/ES. Thing is, that’s actually EASY to do. Either they need to change both items to buff only channeling skills (and hard at that), or they need to provide us with alternatives that do two things:

• offer a buff that is as easy to use and outmatches or at least rivals the channel set
  • grant variety on a general damage + specific skill level. General damage is a way to rival Deathwish and specific skills should be used for the offhand.

For example:

Until they rework Teleport, Aetherwalker needs a damage buff that can rival Deathwish - something like 250% general damage after casting Teleport for 6 seconds and offer Calamity rune on top. WTF is Deathwish if I can have that item?

The second important thing is the lack of viable sources. All we would need to remove DW/ES out of the picture, would be a Hydra specific orb that simply adds about 250-350% to Hydra damage, no strings attached.

Winter Flurry now… that thing is a very bad example of how to make things worse. The item is trash, offers not enough power to warrant a skill specific offhand slot and has a skill mixed in that is a massive pain in the rear. THIS is clearly not what we need. Compare it to our only viable, skill specific item: Triumvirate.

Fragment of Destiny is also meh by design. The mechanic itself is fine, but we need it to be changed to affect more if not all spenders instead of only Hydra. Make our items flexible, not restraining. This is how you create variety.

Altogether their new wizard updates are lackluster, bad design and detrimental. We need a dev that understands wizards. We need to get rid of all these MORONIC conditions to get dps up. Unless we get that through, nothing will change. Wizards are severely handicapped by design decisions. This has to go or the class is dead.

3 Likes

Until they rework Teleport, Aetherwalker needs a damage buff that can rival Deathwish - something like 250% general damage after casting Teleport for 6 seconds and offer Calamity rune on top. WTF is Deathwish if I can have that item?

Would be one solution but it would just exchange DW with AE. I would put the bonus to other Items/skills like AE as well and it aplies the 300% Bonus once.

Other candidates are MI, Diamond Skin, Bubble, BH, Familar, Magic Weapon. This would give as options in build viarity and we could start to think about other options for the Hands/First Cube socket.

I know and that’s why I don’t like it and called it Deathwish V2. Thing is, it should be done nonetheless, at least as a quick fix. I’d rather be dependant on Aetherwalker for damage and get mobility on top of that than being forced into stutterstep Channeling without mobility. The final goal should be having alternatives with movement speed and maybe other mobility concepts, all part of a complete Teleport redesign.

Your list of other candidates for updates is correct. Energy Armor as well, but as I said - first thing we need is a dev who understands wizards and is willing to rebalance the entire class. But sadly that’s not going to happen. The current team seems unwilling or unable to fix wizards. Otherwise they would have done so long ago. All the problems that wizards have to face are already an issue for years.

3 Likes

Good points all, personally I didn’t start playing D3 from day one so I am not sure when the passive skill critical mass was removed. I bring this up as I suspect that it was one of the cornerstones of the whole design for the class. Back then it may have been overpowered, the question is how it affect the overall game as it has evolved.
Removing that affected all cool downs including teleport.
To me personally it is one of the most important spells (and it was with a huge sadness after having played Diablo 2), that the spell functioned with a cool down more alike WoW rather than the predecessor.
Sorry that I focus on this but as I see it the mobility has to be fixed before all else.
To close it it up I wonder if a reintroduction of Critical Mass would be a proper way to go.
@Lexa correct if I’m wrong but didn’t you propose propose a new version of it that would affect the spenders crit for the proc? Even that would be a huge improvement.

Oh, I’m most likely not the only one, but yes… I think you mean this here.

Yep that’s the one :slight_smile: