Why we test this crap?

Why we test such a crap like the last nerfs ( eg wd and dh) for them. Should the Devs test their garbage by themselves. What a busit they do, you can see in the sololadder this season, compare the necro with other classes or a lil bit better 4man in Europe, never seen so much stupidity. I’m very frustrated after more than 6000h gametime since 2012!!!

9 Likes

You know you don’t have to participate in the PTR. I don’t know how many ressources the provide for D3 today with nearly zero income (exept from new accounts). Why should they not use the PTR to gather data like this. The PTR is a testserver after all.

4 Likes

Because often the players know more than the developers.

6 Likes

I can understand the devs buffing something that is underused, but don’t understand why they nerf anything. If a certain set is too powerful, buff up the other sets to compensate. If wizards are too powerful, then buff up Barbs and DHs. Not sure why they need to nerf anything, as no one does the PVP and the only competition is GR pushing or season-first achievements.

The reason is simple. They did this for a while and we ended where we are now. Trying to balance everything on gr130 with 5k paragon. I remember times where the top clear on monk with R6 was 69 for a while. Dont you think the numbers are big enough and the game fast enough?

Edit: formating

1 Like

We think we do, but we really have no idea what’s going on under the hood. I’d tweeted @PezRader several times asking why slam-dunk 5 minute changes aren’t being made; a favorite one I like to point out is Holy Point Shot. 5 minute change to up the value from 100% to 250%, and BAM, DHs are a good RGK.

Another favorite is Slorak’s Madness. It increases Disintegrate damage by a pathetic 20% additive. All these items were fixed except for Slorak’s years ago.

And then there are just plain useless items, like Krede’s Flame, Wyrdward…the list goes on.

2 Likes

Well the reason they probably don’t do these 5 minute changes is because it is only a 5 minute job if the item is easily found. The common practice in AAA is to spend as little time on coding as possible, so most things have really bad variable names and are placed in an obscure file.

Example: So, say the Holy Point Shot item is called internally as Quiver_HPS. But some quivers are called different names, so Bombardier’s Rucksack could be called Bomberman_Rusksack (yes the typo is intentional). So, if the developer had to hunt for a specific quiver, but there is 4 different naming schemes with the quivers, then they’d have to look at every single quiver in the game, to find Holy Point Shot. Then, what happens if legendaries are placed in two separate files; one for legacy original D3 items (ie Immortal Kings) and one for new D3 items (ie Wastes). Then you might have to hunt through two files to find Holy Point Shot.

My guess is that Blizzard’s team is down to a skeleton crew of developers, trying to work with a spaggetti codebase and nothing is well documented or named appropriately, so a minor change takes the same amount of time as a major change. It could also be that since the active team is so small, they prioritize specific things, such as a new seasonal theme and then throw in whatever small changes they can.

4 Likes

Nerfs are fine.

It’d just be nice if it felt like they knew how the items/sets worked before they nerfed.

Whether they listen to community feedback (haha) will make all the diff in fixing the overnerfs.

2 Likes

As bad as it sounds I think it is not that easy to filter out the fixes that most players would like. There are many different opinions out there in the forums about one topic alone. The other question is how representative the people that are actually posting here are for the bulk of players out there

Don’t be mad about me here. I am just voicing my opionion.

@ Bonegrinder: I think you spagetticode example is very plausible. Especially with the retroversions out there.

1 Like

Agreed. It was players that discovered the unholy combo of Tal + Firebird so fast. Just imagine if developers don’t do the PTR and enroll the patch immediately? Tal + Firebird combo will destroying everything on its wake. :rofl:

2 Likes

i would love it cause tals fbirds sinergy was real fun ( just required a nerf ), but then they just erased the build from existance…

It doesn’t seem to be so complicated:

2 Likes

The reason for PTR is the same reason for public beta - there’s is literally no way for the devs playing by themselves to gather even a fraction of the amount of data they can from thousands of players trying things out. There’s also no way for them to figure out & test all the different combos of gear/skills/etc. that players will. And in return the players get to try out the brand new things and have fun deliberately trying to break them. It makes a better game and players get input.

As for changing a stat on something, doing it might be easy but it’s the interactions of those things with everything else that I’m guessing is the problem with fixing things.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t think finding the specific values is as much of an issue as predicting the interactions between all the multiplicative and additive damage modifiers. Granted, a little fine tuning here and there would probably get them in the ballpark. Looking at what paragon it takes each build to hit a threshold would be a good indicator of about how much % each build’s average dps varies by.
Basically, algorithms can be somewhat unpredictable when you’re using so many.

All that being said, they should still be able to make better balancing changes than “buff this build, nerf these two” and call it good. Doesn’t seem like they did adequate research in the case of the WD, as I don’t think anyone considered it to be over performing except the devs. Even the GoD was nerfed too hard, but at least they’re trying to correct it.

no they are not, they just raised the % a bit but the main source of the set was the pierces, witch now have a cap, set successfully destroyed.

Love the title of this post. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m surprised the mods haven’t banned this topic and the OP. Seems all they’re good for is censoring people.

1 Like

does anybody observed how stupid Firebird update is? The skills that trigger 6 piece set bonus does not benefit from itmes that improve that skills.e.g. using Meteor with fire runes does not benegit from weapon and boots thst improve Meyeor skill. how un-intuitive this could be…

MaXeIL there is something you are forgetting though:

Diablo 2 was made by Blizzard North, formerly Condor Games, with David Brevik and team, who went on to make Hellgate London and Torchlight.

Diablo 3 was made by Blizzard South, made from mostly World of Warcraft developers.

Just because Diablo 2 was well designed, well formatted, and well documented doesn’t mean that Diablo 3, made by completely different developers, will have the same level of organization and efficiency in their code.

Cuz game old no mooney to hire more devs and D3 community still surviving.