Why the reddit survey may not be accurate or trustworthy

Well not really.

You cant say that they didnt play the game. I for example played D2 for 15 years and i never used that feature with essesnces, i basicly forgot it even exists at one point as i never used it. Others might simply want unlimited respec as from plugy.

Yes some maybe didnt play game fuly, but that doesnt have to be the case.

then we are talking about another buff to make the game easier, just like all the other things in the survey … just no, please why … i want a challange, not an easy rush through without thinking about anything. This litterally destroys the original D2, honestly

1 Like

well yes you’re right. You have played and you forgot that feature.

But wouldn’t it be fair to say that if you forgot about features of the game that you are not fit to be voting to change those features?

Example

likewise, if you forget how much the game is centered around FFA loot and hostile VS allied players are you fit to be advocating for personal loot even if you know the original looting system in a very small way?

It’s wouldn’t be the easiest thing to accomplish but there should be a way to authenticate people’s claims when taking D2R surveys. Like before getting to vote on changes maybe somehow prove they know what they are talking about or answer a questionnaire on the game.

Idk… just thinking it would be nice if the D2 players that fully legitimately played the game and knew what they were talking about didn’t have to combat people who played 15 minutes and then claimed they played the game as they vote for things that would ruin it

1 Like

Not really, survey reminded me
it does exist :slight_smile:

Just to be clear guys, i dont think game need more respec option as its already in game.

3 respec is totaly fine to finish game, then maybe final respec from esence to balance char with top gear. But probably we dont even need more than 3x

Yes perhaps with that one specific change, but with all the other things on the survey it’s different

pretend you didn’t remember anything about diablo 2, you played it but didn’t remember how charms worked.

To you (in this example) an extra inventory would sound awesome for charms and you wouldn’t remember how it affects PVP and the experience of drawbacks in diablo 2

Idk they could maybe remove 8 position from charms and use it as no charm free space. Or make inv slightly larger only. Only for 8 max 16 squeres.

Or make cube bigger.

I don’t mind what you think of the changes but I am asking if you think it’s fair or right that people who aren’t knowledgeable of them should be advocating for them and representing the D2 community

1 Like

Hard to say depends on change but important changes to skill or drop should be decided only be people who know what they talk about.

Generaly speaking this is game mainly for players who played it for years. So they should have more value voices.

1 Like

yes I agree. Any major change should only be decided by the real players who have stuck with D2 even after it was long considered dead.

1 Like

Game has so many small things which are not known to casuals that any kind of change can break stuff if it not well thought.

Stuff like this fun fact:)

Blood lords elites in durance of hate 3 hell can drop all items from game with exception of arach, tyraels and azurewrath. Who knows that? :slight_smile: they have better drop pool than meph lol.

1 Like

The most important thing about a survey is not the size of the sample, but the quality of the sample. This survey has zero quality because only reddit users participated in it, wich is not representative of anything but the opinion of reddit users.

2 Likes

Exactly! Thank you.

People are saying that it is accurate but it literally could have players who never really played D2. I myself saw how easy it was to manipulate the results

1 Like

There is selection and sampling bias in the poll.

Your statement is inaccurate. The poll was “advertised” on reddit, the D2R forum, on D2jsp, and on Rhykker’s youtube channel where respondents came from each of these. If you go to d2jsp, many of its forum members stated that they voted in the reddit poll.

There is the keep it simple philosophy. There is what can happen and what did happen. Do you honestly think that there was a mass conspiracy of non-D2 players who 1) knew about the poll 2) decided it was worth their time to fill out the poll, 3) decided to lie about being D2 players, and 4) decided to manipulate the results specifically against your personal views. If so, your argument lacks logic.

Have you considered Blizzard is looking to understand the opinions of the people who left the game to increase sales? If you played the game for 20 years, it seems like you prefer the status quo. As the poll showed, D2 purists appear to be a small fraction of the potential D2R playerbase.

Did you? The results could be manipulated theoretically. The next question is directionality. Do you think it is more likely that a D2 purist would manipulate the results or someone else?

See the keep it simple response above.

Do you think D3 players from this forum really are running around trying to bias a D2 survey and lie about playing D2?

Conclusion
Clearly, you do not want to believe the results due to your own personal biases. The fact is you have presented no compelling evidence that misconduct in fact took place. Simple inspection of numerous forums highlight the veracity of the findings in that the questions where there was more consensus for change are more popular across multiple social platforms while those that are more contentious were least popular in the survey. There may be quantitative differences but qualitatively the results make intuitive sense.

Just to remind you of what was said earlier and not been successfully refuted.

4 Likes

I agree, this was my first thought as well

Can’t really agree with this. Anyone who has played D2 for 20 years is atypical for sure. While they are dedicated to the game they probably don’t like change very much or they would not be playing a 20 year old game. That being said some of them understand how changes would impact the game in a more nuanced way. Unfortunately, as the forums have shown that’s often not the case. Time in D2 does not seem to correlate with critical thinking skills.

5 Likes

The survey isnt accurate duh, how much of a games eventual playerbase spends the preceeding months drooling on forums and reddit. Only a fraction of the casual audience is reflected on the survey, meaning the small qol changes are probably even more popular than represented.

4 Likes

This is why I keep talking about selection and sampling bias. The results relative to legitimate D2R purchasers would be far more in favor of changes than what the reddit poll indicates.

The good news is that Blizzard did/doing their own poll. Overall, the general trend will remain the same relative to which changes have more widespread support.

This is the very problem and root of the bias in your perspective. Not only are you using the true scotsman logical fallacy, you are claiming others aren’t or shouldn’t be allowed at the table if they don’t fit your rigid definition of what a true player of a D2 is. While its one thing to say that people should play the game long enough to know more before making a judgement call. But your also assuming others can’t possible have opposite opinion then you even if they too have played the game for a long time.

Let the devs take what they will from the surveys, including blizzards own surveys. If they are smart they won’t make too many over reaching judgements about the surveys, something I feel you are most certainly doing. They will likely make more judgements in their own surveys, then the reddit one.

6 Likes

Reskilling to me is the +1 skill point quests. So i really don’t know what is current reskilling. But i still played D2 for 10+ years buddy!!! And I know enough to say no to reskilling on the fly like D3. As long as there is an option to reset all of your skill points 1 - 3 times is well good enough. Just to fix a bad build or switch skill set without having to build all new. But even if you do have to build all new char. that’s D2 … enjoy it…

You can get tokens of absolution.

The Essences include:

Twisted Essence of Suffering (dropped by Andariel and Duriel)

Charged Essence of Hatred (dropped by Mephisto)

Burning Essence of Terror (dropped by Diablo)

Festering Essence of Destruction (dropped by Baal)

Cubed make a reset token. Not too hard to get a few extras laying around.

1 Like