Why should I buy D2R, convince me please!

You’re lucky, last I checked, here in Australia, Blizzard wants $70 for D2R.

At the moment, all that gets us is a graphics overhaul, shared stash, auto-gold pickup, some better access for modding and the game not running on legacy Battlenet.

That’s thin for the price Blizzard is asking.

There will, no doubt, still be bots, still be hacks, and if duping is actually fixed (which may well happen given the new Battlenet), you’ll never see another Uber Diablo ever again.

There’ll still be hardcore sucker-punched PK’ing, immune-to-everything mobs, shared only loot enriching the new PickIt users, and so far as I know drop rates aren’t changed either.

Of course, many people are absolutely for this, considering D2/LOD to be, more or less, perfect.

All that said, once PD2 and Plugy come out for D2R, I might well be tempted to get it for the better graphics and just play offline, like I do now.

2 Likes

The truth is that you should just wait until it is actually released before making a decision to purchase it or not. We don’t even know what features will be in the final release. Despite what some people claim, there is no hard line that makes a game either a “remake” or a “remaster” so simply claiming a “remaster” can’t contain certain features or changes is simply wrong.

For us old timers, the old timers who love the legacy games and who love the fact that DII:R is a Diablo 2 game with a few enhancements, that is reason enough for me.

I am not a complicated gamer. My friends, family, and I play games to have fun and to not to try to solve unsolvable conflicts.

:alien: :dolphin:

3 Likes

Right now the biggest carrot is Bnet client and the idea that bots wouldn’t be half the player base (exaggeration).

If they add things like charm inventories then I’m not sure how to sell D2R to you. Would make me a lot more likely to skip it as it wouldn’t be D2 anymore.

1 Like

You shouldn’t. It’s a crap.

2 Likes

And the absence of improvements to overcome D2/LOD’s flaws would make me less likely to buy it.

This is why Blizzard ought to make improvements that can be optionally turned on or off.

Because I can.

Because I have every right to, and just as much right as you do.

Optional assigned loot would be good for D2R, the lack of it will be bad. Plain and simple and because of that, I’m trying to play my part in providing the feedback that Blizzard is asking for to let them know about it.

Also - why do you people insist on being so dull about non-shared loot - it doesn’t mean eight times the loot has to drop FFS, it just means that the loot that does drop gets randomly assigned (briefly) to a player before reverting to the standard free for all loot.

If you’re going to argue against something, at least read up on what it is you’re arguing against!

I’m on the fence myself about it myself. Fewer bots/dupes etc with updated graphics is certainly appealing. However, I can play D2LoD 2000 with a wrapper just fine on my modern computer and don’t find the graphics problematic enough to take away my enjoyment of the game.

Everyone has their own line in terms of what is truly beneficial QoL and what goes too far to change the game play in a direction they don’t want, me included.

I plan on waiting until the game is released or at least a total list of changes vs D2LoD 2000 1.14d is confirmed before pulling the trigger. If I’m happy with the overall package and the changes they made, I’ll buy it. If not, I’m happy to keep playing the current version.

D3 has this now on modern battle.net so I wouldn’t be surprised if this was included in the UI/QoL updates. It’s common to see requests for build/item advice, so I can see it being useful for item valuation as well.

let’s see:
I went into single player because I did not want to put up with dupes, bots and the ruined economy based on that or the loads of ignorant fethwits writing bullcrap like “breath of the dying or last wish are good” etc

it is very easy to say: I do want a certain experience even online, but there are borders I will not cross.
quite simple.

atm old diablo2 single player with plugy/d2se basiccally lets me play the game with all online stuff with far more ease than anything blizzard has come up with.
and there are enough communities around with old players for whom qol updates that blizzard offers, are a downgrade and a graphics update is not a selling point when you’ve been playing on low graphics for decades.

imo : increase the lightning resistances of LI monsters to over 117% to get a level playing field with other elements.

1. give us back Iron Maiden from oblivion knights

2. if you want to keep the dia clone around, try to center it around a different mechanic than selling rare best in slot items for it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the input, I probably will wait till a full list of changes are released to judge if the price tag is worth it.
All I see currently is just a pay for stash/inventory space, there’s not even a discount for people who own the original game.

True I remember the good old days of D2 before Lod … Heck I played D1 for many years before that … The cinematic reworks are worth the price alone for me… I mean 40 bucks - is not a big deal …

I would also reallly like the old style D2 channel interface before launching into a game…

1 Like

D2LoD doesn’t have flaws except for a few buggy or crappy skills. D2 design is already great.

Sorry dude, I’m not going to ask for D2 to become D3 and call it “progress”. D3 was far inferior.

The literal reason D3 devs said they didn’t include charms was exactly because of this debate. First, they though they didn’t want them in the inventory. Next they decided a charm inventory would make charms just like an extra gear slot, which it would. Finally, they said charms were skipped because there were enough gear slots already.
/debatewon #outofherewiththattrash #Nodiablo3beggars

Also, the game is a remaster. If they remaster Diablo 2 then that should be enough for fans to buy it. If they add things and transform it into D2v2, D3’s Second Coming, they will piss off their D2 fanbase again and they may not buy any Diablo products. A charm inventory is the weakest, wimpiest excuse of a cry baby gamer want i’ve ever heard. That’s not Diablo 2 and it would be so sad to see that happen to D2.

1 Like

let’s see:
bots
dupes
the uselesness of basiccally the whole martial arts tree for the assassin
the uselesness in design of several character sets
the uselesness / buggyness of the amazon’s physical javelin skills
ed vs undead bonus of sanctuary not working
monster resistances imbalance of lightning immune compared to fire or cold or poison
bullcrap like SoJ for the uber diablo
ability to skip spawning entire waves at baal
no challenge without IM

we could go on, but yes, there are tons of things that could be addressed with a “remaster”

a graphics update is pretty meaningless to those that have been playing a game that had outdated graphics from the get go.-

1 Like

Strolln, you’re absolutely dreamin!

D2/LOD doesn’t have flaws you say??? Ha! I Say to that!

D2/LOD is one of my favourite ever games, I’ve got an embarrassingly large amount of time in it, and you are flat out wrong if you think it’s perfect.

It’s not perfect. It’s great, but still flawed. That cannot be rationally argued

And the greatest single flaw in it, in my opinion, was shared loot. We may argue rationally over what flaws D2 has, but to call it flawless is frankly crazy.

I think these are more a feature. Throughout D2 there are several strategies you can deploy to manipulate the battlefield to your favor including using charges (tele, etc.), stairs, tps, juvies, Meph moat trick, run and skip, etc.

The game should not be “you entered this room and we locked you in, prove your might”. There should be exit strategies and clever plays that players can make.

Many still RIP their hc characters. I don’t miss IM. I see some people dying to reflect on PoE and it’s off putting, D2 is better as it is right now.

Agreed that some skills could be buffed and some bugs need to be fixed. I don’t think the MA sin should become the 2nd coming of the hammerdin or light sorc but a buff would be great.

As for the elemental imbalance and some weaker builds, if everything were perfectly balanced it would be Diablo 3 (everything is super linear and pretty balanced) and be more boring imo. Though I am for buffs and bug fixes to make some things more viable or stronger. Bug fixes such as fend would be priority one. If arctic blast, inferno, inferno trap, martial arts builds, etc got buffs that would be cool too.

Anything that is subjective preference can easily be rationally argued, “I like the game”. Can even back it up with objective evidence, i.e. D2 is wildly popular 20 years later. D2 is the goat (sadly - that noone has usurped it over all this time), it’s as good as there is.

I would say that it is irrational to define anything as perfect. Perfect just doesn’t exist Strolln.

Ergo, D2 was not perfect, ergo it has flaws, ergo those flaws, where there is general community agreement on them should be fixed, especially if the fix can be made optional.

D2 is not perfect - I do not believe you can rationally argue that. We may argue about what it’s flaws are, but not (rationally) that they even, in principle, exist.

1 Like

having enemies not even spawning and thus skipping them is a feature?
you are basiccally bringing back the hammerdin pre undead magic immunes being immune

if you cannot use berserk
elemental damage
sanctuary aura
ranged combat
crowdcontrol skills
getting other curses on you (simplest way was to approach an OK and get dec)

then what are you doing, playing with your brains off?

we are not talking “weaker builds” we are talking skills that specificcally do not work (see physical melee amazon skills interaction with the dodge skills and resulting “0 damage rounds” , being stuck in animations etc.

and the elemental imbalance does quite simply favour 1 element a lot and was quite the bonus in duping and botting, as people could roflstomp with lightning characters and never really needed to worry about immunes thanks to infinity (which not only makes most LI monsters vulnerable, but also is a decent bosskiller, makes your merc hit easier and packs quite the physical punch as well with ed and cb)

1 Like

That depends on whether your not you care about having the game look pretty. That, and of course, new modern servers ridded of many of the issues inherent to the old technology D2 currently employs.

I personally own some high res monitors and I hate playing D2 in them, I personaly go for my old pentium 4 pc on a CRT monitor where D2 looks better. Reforged will allow me to enjoy D2 on my modern rig. I only play singleplayer too, so it’s a given that it will be my thing.

Seriously you need convincing to buy a $40 game? As soon as you hear Diablo just buy it. If it sucks who cares you will still get a couple hundred hours entertainment. It’s like a couple combos at Mcdicks :roll_eyes:

Don’t wait a few months after release… I played the alpha and its nothing like d2 the graphics looks childish now just like d3…blizzard cant make a game whitout setting the glow on all fu**ing aspect of the game to 1000%. Nobody knows yet whats gonna happen to trade or PvP… for me this game is nowhere near as good as d2 was at release… I played 2 days on the alpha then went back to d2