Why no D2R or D4 for MacOS?

I am just going to leave this here for you. This is for a pixel game… I am sure you are familiar with the game maker though.

2 Likes

While true, I thought I read somewhere that 32bit software doesn’t run on MacOS anymore. If that is the case, then we know the reason.

1 Like

Apple users enjoyed a long spree of compatibility when they decided to ditch the RISC PowerPC in favor of CISC Intel chips. Now they’re digging themselves back into a niche market again by going back to a RISC design with their in-house manufactuered M1.

Don’t blame the software developer, blame the computer manufacturer for making things harder for developers. When Apple users make up, what ~8% of the global computer user pie, it’s a no brainer not to waste the money. Software developers don’t want to lose money just to support a very small minority. It sucks, but it’s the truth.

2 Likes

Thank god. The last thing Macs need is more pixelart shovelware - Apple Arcade pumps out of enough of that without the help of boomer has-beens.

I game on a PC, so that’s not really a necessity. Having extra lairs of labor involved in getting a group to game with together makes it pointless - Easier to just save the effort and play something else.

I realize “Blizzard Shill” is a kind of tired meme. But you lot really work hard to earn that title.

If it’s worth it for companies 1/100th Blizzard’s size that make 1/1000th Blizzard’s sales, it should be worth it for Blizzard as well. They have the capability to make it happen, they have the capability to make it profitable, and if they really aren’t willing to do so, they have a moral obligation to relieve the MacOS audience from the entrapment of their gaming ecosystem and shoo them away to other products.
If it’s really not worth it for them, they should nut up and just say so out-right.

1 Like

Steam’s operating system usage charts from January 2021…
https://i.imgur.com/OSiB9Ln.jpg

Steam’s annual usage chart tends to underrepresent MacOS since Mac users have to go through extra steps to take part in the hardware survey compared Windows users. (In Windows you just click accept on the survey request, then accept on a popup window to let it get intimate with your machine, whereas with MacOS you’d have to manually go into permissions under settings and check a box to allow Steam to do its thing)

Diablo 2 is a game from 2000. Even the remaster is built upon that same code. Which means they most likely have old binary libraries linked that they can’t recompile or don’t have the code for at all. If you ever worked with legacy software like that, you know how much old binary blobs complicate things. Hell, there might even be some assembly code or hard coded 32 bit addresses in there. Programmers from back in the day made some notoriously horrendous unmaintainable code for the sake of architecture-specific optimizations

1 Like

Starcraft is from 98, but they made SCRM work.

3 years after the game’s release it got the 64 bit patch. So it clearly wasn’t just a matter of recompiling the source code.

I’d like to see how Blizzard scheduled their labor over those three years, that’d be a delicious read.

Exactly just as I said before in gaming PC >>> MAC,… Short and sweet

It’s not just the main code going 64 bit , Blizz has a lot of tools still in 32 bit , Apple is just not as friendly in game development as Windows … When I say Windows , I mean Windows on x86 not on Arm, which ironically is what the new Apple M1 chip is based upon …
So you can imagine how complicated and heavier lifting just to appease a small 1% of the gaming community running on MacOS …
Blizzard is not stupid and it has business revenues to think about …
I would argue for all the time wasting to try to make it work on Mac, Blizz might as well put in more support on adding features in Diablo 3 !!!.
Win - Win

Those boomers should get with the times.

The Nintendo Switch is also on ARM - But that’s not really a big issue provided Blizzard invested into the tools to make those ports happen.

laughs in WC3RF

Is that what it’s all about? You’re afraid that mac-support would somehow detract from windows-support as if it’s a finite resource? What kind of childish power politics BS is that? lol
Blizzard is not a small indie company. They can afford to make it happen without compromise.

They could afford to do it but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d get an acceptable return on investment from doing so. Put simply…

The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

1 Like

Blizzard’s RoI is dependent on people staying in their ecosystem and putting money into not just one of their games - But usually their whole library. Making parts of that library exclusive will increasingly drive more and more people away from it all - Mac users who can’t play D2R/D4 probably wont be dumping as much money into WoW or Hearthstone. New mac users who dont have any Blizzard games will just laugh at the company and stick with offerings from Steam.
But moreover - I don’t give even half a crap about Blizzard’s profit. I am not one of their investors. I have no sympathy for their investors. I want what I see as “Blizzard Quality” products, and Blizzard’s been failing to meet that expectation for almost a decade now. If they have to bite profits to make that happen, it’s better they do that now to maintain relevance than stay on their current course of slow death and increased dependence on outsourced development.
When you argue for the profits of Current Blizzard, you’re arguing they should stick with whale milking and give up on growth.

From my experience MACs are just awful to work with. Apple does not communicate very well with other company’s, and just drop patches or OS updated without letting outside sources seeing what is in it.

Heck the new M1 chipset is not even x86 what did apple think was going to happen? At launch the M1 chips did not even support two external monitors lol. Apple is just a headache to work with.

1 Like

If a headache’s what Blizzard has to put up with to make it happen, I’ll donate to their aspirin fund.

Hopefully the videocard and processor markets will stabilize soon. When that happens, get a PC that meets the specifications of the highest demanding game you want to play, maybe a bit higher to propel you into the future.

I understand that it’s par for the course on Blizzard Forums for people to not bother reading OP before commenting on threads, so I’ll go ahead and reiterate. Again.
I already have a PC that can can run everything in Blizzard’s library and will probably be good for everything Blizzard puts out for the next five years.
I don’t need to play anything on MacOS, but I want the ability to play WITH people who run MacOS because that’s the expectation blizzard has set for me in the past.
If I was going to play a Windows-Only ARPG, I’d play PoE like everybody else. The ability to get on Diablo with whoever I want is the only thing that’s ever set it apart for me.
That little edge should be especially important for Blizzard with Diablo 4 because Both Riot Games as well as the PoE guys are also working on next-gen ARPGS.