Why is D3 not a proper e-Sport, and will D4 be more financially rewarding for competitive players?

↑basically what he said.

As for D4, they seem to want to make it more MMO-ish. If that’s the case, I can see them making something out of PvP that could be a proper esports material. If D4 pvp system is anything like D3, or even D2, doubt it.

Doesn’t have to be. Players/teams in tournament could be give exact same gear, paragon and gr at different levels and compete for time or level achieved this way.

It’s all the same thing really.

D2/D3 are RPG’s.

It’s all about farming gear and XP.

Hard to make esports from that.
It’s just not exciting like the other esports games.

However, I believe in China/Korea they have had D3 solo and team races like mentioned above in the past.

It’s just not a regular thing.

1 Like

D3 is too random to be competitive.

The only reason the ladder (can) work is because everyone has the same amount of time to gear their character and find that perfect GR to shave that extra second, which smooths out the random aspects of the game.

While certainly good players do better, over short time periods, luck has a significant factor and can certainly turn the tide between equally capable players.

Playing on pc with gamepad very successfully is ridiculous enough … I don’t know which e-sport is being spoken here.

Because

:kissing_heart:

Being ARPG, the game lacks mechanical depth to make this kind of competition skill based rather than RNG based.

If you were to compare it to MDI speedrunning in WoW, WoW player have to at least manage cc, interruptions, positioning, controll buffs, debuffs and a dozen other things that D3 simply does not have.

1 Like

This is not an esports franchise (never was), and yes, I am sure even Blizzard takes the leaderboards as a grain of salt novelty.

Diablo 4 is not and will likely not be intended to be ‘financially rewarding’ for competitive players.

Different franchises for different things, not even WoW can be seriously considered an Esport as their most famed regular title. An off-brand like Diablo certainly shouldn’t be.

Randomization heavy gameplay of the genre. Also due to randomization, player experience is always personalized which creates uncertainity. Also again, whatever you do, randomization is there.
A tournament mode can be made perhaps when developers decide to emphasize on PvP mode or a similar model to Challenge Rifts. Still, game is made for PvE design in mind and as you saw from GRs, any simple randomization in regular game can lead to a huge deviation of gameflow.

D3 just delivers an account ban. A real e-sport title from Blizzard like Overwatch puts hardware ban on the computer besides banning your account. D3 is never meant to be a competitive e-sport.

The decision to actively mitigate e-sport potential (after actively pursuing it) didn’t help. They decided to focus on the campaign and making sure that RMAH is available to Australia. But as it happened, D3 campaign is less suited to speed-running than D2 for its relative linearity (fewer options, fewer developing strategies), more randomness than even D2 (one crucial weapon can enhance your power by magnitudes), and especially deliberate time-gates, all make for an unengaging play-through. Because of a “end-game is where it’s at” approach (but WoW alpha/beta was not developed this way) we get a half-decent game.

Because, there’s no competition… Leaderboards are there only to show who cleared the highest GR on the fastest time. And there’s no balance in the items (some hero are able to clear higher and faster than the other heroes).

An e-sport should have competition… and strategy -whether it is solo or team based.

Just a rumor. Got any real proofs?

My source is google and several media outlets. You can use it as well.

I’m using. This statement is highly dubious and just a rumor.

As it’s old news and now the tweet is gone, you may take it as dubious as well but that’s all I can offer. My assumptions are based on such news. At competitive level, they appear to go for the gold.

With the constant fishing the top groups have to do in order to get their top leaderboard positions, there’s just too much RNG involved. BUT…that said, it would not take much for Blizzard to offer up a fair competitive environment for the top solo players and teams in D3. You’d have to eliminate the randomness of shrines and map type altogether. Blizzard would set up a situation where both teams were playing the same map(s) at the same time with the identical shrines in certain locations, just as in the weekly CR. It would be the only way you could do it. Asses the team’s total time taken on 5 or 7 different maps.

The great thing about this possibility is if the top D3 teams all show up at BlizzCon in November, then you know the runs are legit – no botting, no map hacks…I’d even argue that NumLock would not be allowed. They’d all be playing on Blizzard machines.

Diablo has always been a no-skill game, regardless of whether players are willing to admit it.
The only thing in this franchise, that somewhat resembled skill was learning to trade back in D2. That’s what the game was, a trade simulator, the gameplay was always simplistic and rather secondary.

You take trading away (love it or hate it) and what is left? Poor point and click (sometimes stutterstep) excuse of a gameplay.

In order to have e-sport, where it would come down to skill, the game must have a radically different gameplay (which most likely requires a different camera angle) than the typical, rather simplistic gameplay Diablo games always have.

Currently in D3 Greater Rifts are not about skill.
They are about artificial scarcity… in other words extremely rare, powerful items (very specific rolls of Ancients and Primal Ancients), and about time spent/botted (the uncapped Paragon 2.0).
Both of those provide massive advantage, while the player’s skill has a miniscule impact and it’s not really a deciding factor.

tl;dr: for the game to achieve what you want, it would have to be something else, but not a Diablo game.

The first major ban wave was in 2016, two years after RoS came out.
And since then, I would argue, that Blizzard haven’t been banning often enough.

If someone is willing to buy a game, pay for cheats (because the good cheat tools, that are updated and hard to detect cost money), they must find it meaningful.

For Blizzard, that might be a way to monetize the game, who knows :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes please.

An A-RPG will never be a good e-sport tbh (not that being good is always required for being an e-sport of course). No need to ruin PvE for that.

e-sports are a cancer for any form or RPG.

Keep that nonsense in RTS and MOBA where it belongs please.

E-sports are trash and activisionblizzard tried real hard to turn themselves into the wow and overwatch e-sport monopoly with their whole overwatch league bs that you have to pay a fee to participate.

E-sports has ruined gaming and blizzard was far too late to capitalize on it but they must lie to their investors because that’s what they want, instead of what the community wants. So they’ll do whatever they want as a publically traded company that doesn’t care about their core fans anymore.

I mean D3 has 4-6 buttons you press and none of them feel impactful or meaningful in anyway. Absolute trash game, the artwork is nice which is true for all activisionblizzard games.