Why not let the people decide?

1, you won’t get a true proportional representation of the playerbase.

2, game development is not a democracy.

5 Likes

Because it ain’t a democracy. If you want to fatten up your purse with illegal profiteering, go make your own game.

Also, because of this:

Of course you don’t, as long as it’s YOUR pixels they waste their money on.

Well I really could care less about someone spending money on pixels…you all did buying the game technically. Said it before and I’ll say it again. I do not see why someone could/would/should care or complain about someone spending money on in game items/cosmetics…it’s there damn money.

That would be like me judging anyone here who spends more than $15 on a pair of jeans…it’s cotton, covers your nether regions…why do you need to spend a weeks worth of groceries for a pair of pants? But if that makes them happy and their happy with their life…good for them!

1 Like

Only really a problem if it affects the game design in a bad way. Trying to maximize the MTX income. Like, it is hard not to think the forced multiplayer in D4 is to increase MTX sales.

Or if the devs turn it into a gambling machine.

1 Like

Correct! Should be in my shpeel I guess. It can hurt gameplay of others and if turned into a pay to win scenario…although it is still their money and I would just quit playin the game if the one I was playing turned into that.

People paying for items in d2 never hurt my experience though…maybe because there wasn’t a LB as like D3 has?

I have not seen much evidence that this happens in WoW. While looks are subjective, there ate plenty of mounts and pets that look better than the ones on the shop that can be obtained through playing.and for ever pet and mount in the shop there are literally 50 in game. So all the cosmetics have not really changed how WoW was developed.

As much crap as people give Blizzard they really understand the balance of this issue IMO.

1 Like

ROFL. I’ve never sold an in-game item for real money in my life.
But the fact, that you have to make stuff up on the spot speaks volumes.

1 Like

I havent either. Only thing I have wondered about, is that the MTX pets often seem to be on “cute” side (puppies, big eyes etc.). Wonder if their data shows those sell better :smiley:
And some of the shop mounts have special lighting effects not normally seen on in-game mounts, which would be an indication of reserving their most unique designs for the shop. WoW is not bad with this though. It was also not designed with MTX in mind.

WoW as a subscription game (you already pay for all the ‘free’ mounts after all) cant really be compared to games where a much larger share (in some cases all) of revenue must be expected to come from MTX. In some of their free games, all relevant cosmetics seem to be MTX based.

One thing is putting all the good cosmetics behind MTX. Much worse would be making bad gameplay decisions to encourage the MTX.
Other than the possible one in D4 with forced multiplayer (not the same as online only mind you), D3s RMAH is another example. Lowering droprates so they can earn more money from the AH.

What does MTX mean? Yes, I really don’t know besides having to do something with purchasing in game content like cosmetics?

Microtransactions.
So yeah, just a word for “small” (which is quite relative of course) payments to buy stuff.

1 Like

I do, and he knows better than to let the many cooks decide what happens in the kitchen. His job was to be a front interface for multiple games, mostly WoW where he was an angry tree.

His name is Micah Whipple https://twitter.com/micahwhipple and he does some in depth talks on various platforms.

He was not fired. Not at all. Like many people he moved on to something that interested him more.

2 Likes

The system of restricted trade is the best of both worlds. Starting with free trade we would have what D3 had. Then when Blizz sees all of the bots that are there to farm for items to sell for real money. They will probably take it away again like they did in D3.

That would have the chances of burning them on ever thinking about having any kind of trade in a Diablo game. So all future titles wouldn’t have a trading system at all.

At least this restrictive trading system is something that is better than what D3 has right now.

Further no game is ever a democracy. I do believe that there have been a few developers that have tried the idea of letting players be the boss and it didn’t work out. I don’t know of a single game that has came out where the players had the final say as far as what goes into the game.

2 Likes

Because small-minded players like most, can’t see all of the big picture and only their selfies needs.

Ahh yes, because some people have disposable income they choose to spend differently than you they are small minded. Project much? Buying MTX is a way of supporting the game long term so they actually see the big picture.

There is more easy way then,

Let Softcore be like devs want - no free trade and zone PVP
Make Hardcore with free trade and no-zone restrict PVP

1 Like

When you start thinking that “the people” should decide that’s when “the people” should make their own game with the features that they decide.

I would rather have strongly executed vision than a half assed decomratic artwork. There is a reason why musicians normally don’t let the audience decide what instruments to use in their music, the audience can appreciate it or not. Artistic freedom.

4 Likes

At least the majority of people can agree that we don’t want Microtransactions, even people who say that they don’t care,if they had the choice they wouldn’t want them either…

It affects the game in a bad way…i want to play the game to get rewards not pay for rewards…even if they are cosmetic or not…

Cosmetics are huge in RPGs… ofc i want my character to look cool…

plus it would give more replayability to the game if we have some cosmetic rewards that you get if you farm a lil’ bit more than average…
(if you just buy them it sucks…)

You got some sources on that? It seems quite the opposite. Most people do not mind MTXs. You also assume that there would be no cosmetics or cool armor to obtain in game. Yet all Blizzard games have balanced this out very well or allowing for total cosmetic acquisition through in game means without the need for so ending real money.

And no transfer to SC if you die.

Different game but it works for this.

4 Likes