Why Diablo not resurrected?

Curious why the original Diablo was not resurrected, but they did Diablo 2 first? am I missing something?

Original diablo is on GOG already, and it was D2 that got massively popular. D2 is the clear choice for a remaster.

7 Likes

They also did a Diablo teamed event within D3 called the Darkening of Tristram.

1 Like

Same reason Warcraft 1 and 2 arent I guess.
Blizzard be like “You think you do, but you dont”.
Maybe if D2R does well.

Imagine Blizzard making a “Battle Chest” with remakes of WC1, WC2, Diablo 1. Would be pretty cool.

1 Like

Kind of sucks. I haven’t played Diablo in suck a long time. I was thinking of playing it again before doing the Diablo 2 Resurrected. Guess I’m crazy to do that lol.

Pretty sure it has something to do with the amount of people still playing D2 and asking for a remaster vs D1.

1 Like

If you want something among the lines of a remaster, try the Beelzebub mod. It’s widescreen 60fps, with better itemization, better hud, some QoL from D2, improved difficulty, all the quests available in the same run, and unimplemented quests that were left behind by the devs fully implemented.

I would purchase a W2 remaster in a hearbeat.

1 Like

Main thing I want in a D1 remaster would be updated controls for both KB/M and controller (there is a PS1 version so there is definitely already a controller setup for it). I’m primarily interested in seeing fully customizable keybinds and a good controller layout, as well as click-hold to move, something D1 does not have (or did not prior to the GOG release).

FWIW, the GOG release isn’t a remaster, it’s just modernizing the client to work on current OSes, and was done prior to Vicarious Visions beginning D2R as far as I know.

If they’re going to do a remaster, they should go old school and remake Rock n’ Roll Racing.

There’s also the issue of the Hellfire expansion. If D1 was remastered, should it contain Hellfire? It was not made by Blizzard and it’s not considered canon.

The GoG release of D1 comes with Hellfire.

1 Like

Be nice if they remastered both. It’s been a long time, but I think D1 was a relatively short game and probably is not worth their time.

While I would be on board for a heavy remaster of Diablo 1, it would require more changes than Diablo 2 has received in resurrected. Diablo 1 is very old and brutal in ways, such as spells cast by the wizard can hurt your party members, as well as yourself. When an item breaks, it is gone for good. When you die, all of your gear is thrown all over the floor.

I know D2 is brutal compared to D3 and other modern games, but D1 has some seriously harsh mechanics and aged elements. D2 also has more smooth movement than D1.

I personally would sooner prefer Diablo 1 to receive a reimagining in the vein of Dark Souls/Witcher 1 with it’s own spin.

Where can one get this? Would it also require the GoG version of the game?

I’d be happy if it worked with the GoG release, since that is an updated client that works on modern OSes (which was the point of that particular release since D1 didn’t exactly run well on Windows 10 without jumping through hoops, being that it came from the 16/32-bit era).

That’s basically the whole point of Diablo I. It is a dungeon crawler and should feel punishing.

The only thing that needs to be looked at is class balancing. Sorcerors are way above its league in comparison to Warriors and Rogues.

Heck, I have a way easier time clearing all 16 floors in one seating as a Sorceror.

It works with any version.

Elaborating, all the mod uses is the Diabdat.MPQ (I think it’s the name) file which is the file that contains the game’s assets (similar to Doom.WAD which classic Doom players should be familiar with). Rather than a mod itself, Beelzebub is a source port of sorts, that is, they remade the whole code or at least a good part of it from scratch using the game’s assets (this is similar to what Quake Remastered is). All versions of Diablo, both GOG and the original disk from 1996, have the same MPQ file so they should all work.

1 Like

There is also the devilutinx open source engine reimplementation.

https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

A thing must first be dead to be resurrected, and Diablo does not die. He gets banished or expunged or voided or whatever… but if he died, he resurrects every game anyway.

I would love to see a Diablo1 remaster even if all it was was updated graphics like having the player model change to reflect the equipment you were wearing similar to the later games. I don’t care honestly if it’s the same brutal mechanics as before, think of it something between vanilla D2 mode and hardcore mode, it’s fine I reckon not everything needs to be super easy and hold your hand. Let it be what it is, you are fighting the forces of hell after all.