Why are items selling for real money, bad enough to justify a lack of open trading?

I am afraid that if D4 goes the completely free trade route that will mean that we will see a lot of spam in chat to buy stuff and gold for real money. We would see spam friends requests like in vanilla D3, which I am glad is gone for good.

Plus it might mean that I would never get to build around the best items in the game unless I got my items from those that bot or have no life outside of D4 by playing the trading game instead of actually playing the game of killing stuff for awesome loot.

Without ever seeing the best stuff I would be stuck with alternatives that might even be second and third class alternatives. Gear so low on the curve that I would be struggling to clear the mid range endgame dungeons let alone the high tiered ones. That would even be true for some of the strongest builds in the game.

My biggest fear is that if they launch with completely free and unrestricted trading and it does indeed hurt the game like me and others have said. Then the devs are likely to take the same approach that was done with D3. Which is go from free unrestricted trading to no trading at all.

I say let them launch with the new system. Give it time to see that it isn’t as bad as you think it is.

Finally if players want to play a trading game, then go find a PC trading tycoon instead of asking for D4 to become one.

1 Like

You do realize that items and services are sold for D3 as well? There’s a pretty big market for it, it just requires you to hand over control - and trust me, some actually do this.

So all these things still exists, they are just removed rather quickly and thus they are pretty quiet.

1 Like

“Mindlessly grinding for all eternity” is pretty on the nose. You clearly missed a VERY OBVIOUS point.

Indeed. Exactly this.

So we agree that the actual problem is botting, why don’t we focus on eliminating that then? As seen in D3, many people still bot without trading.

1 Like

The best gear won’t be vendor trash, that has never been true.

Also if you’re worried about gear flooding the market and value of the best items being reduced, that problem is amplified even more when there is no trade and drop rate is adjusted for it. High power loot drops more often with no value whatsoever, and genuinely becomes vendor trash.

1 Like

All of THIS.

They bump the drop rates way up to make up for the lack of trading.

This. I want a reasonable drop rate, not an artificially squashed one to make the traders happy.

If this takes a separate game mode, I’m 100% okay with it.

If someone wants to RMT, that’s not my problem. I do think D4 needs a better bot detection system regardless, though.

2 Likes

They could also include a self-found only mode that has adjusted drop rates, and has its own ladder so they aren’t competing with people who do trade.

Though to be honest playing PoE without trading I never felt as though I had a hard time getting items. Sure I didn’t gear up as quickly as I could have, but it’s not like I wasn’t able to progress into higher level maps.

I also think the reverse problem exists without trading. Blizzard massively increases the drop rates and makes the game about finding the same items over and over again in the hopes of getting slight upgrades. When I’m getting multiple legendaries per GR that is at most 15 minutes, legendaries aren’t exciting anymore.

On top of that, most of the loot ends up being fairly generic because it’s rather difficult to target very specific things unless you have absurdly high playtimes anyway, so they need the majority of those items you find to be itemized properly for you.

and Diablo 4 hasn’t shown anything to suggest they’ve figured out a way around that. With trading it doesn’t matter if the item isn’t good for you, because it has value and you can trade it for an item that IS good for you.

2 Likes

It’s what all of the diablo games have been.

Anyone who thinks Bots wont be out in mass with or without trade are delusional. They are just part of the landscape nowadays unless Blizz can find a way to ban them and even cares to do it. With a microtransaction revenue stream, maybe they will actually put boot to butt.

Blizzard could easily ban spammers if they wanted to. They just aren’t concerned about it. They could also empower players in multiple ways to avoid exposure to spammers. Channels that require verified accounts, allow messaging only from verified accounts etc etc. Hopefully they will this time around since they are caring about a continued revenue stream.

While this is true…PvP and making multiple-characters really helped break up the monotony of just farming. They really need to open up how many characters you can make. I had like 40 PvE characters on D2 and another 12 PvP types.

1 Like

If by verified, you mean accounts with full licenses, they have done that since D3 release. Starter accounts can’t message folks, make games with non starter people, etc. They keep them quite separate. The most common thing for the third party sites to do is compromise accounts (usually customers), strip the account for whatever is valuable, then spam advertise with it til it gets banned.

1 Like

So does the seasonal Haedrig’s Gift. Skip all the difficulties to TX giving you a monster op set that enables you to finish your seasonal journey in 4 days.

The difference is that you don’t have to pay for it, just play 5-7 hours to get to chapter IV. Kills the game, seriously.

Yes.
D3 destroying the progression curve does not mean that it is any less bad if trading does it.

Well, trading with ingame items usually doesnt kill the game because items are more or less rare.

So if you want an item with a determinate rarity/demand you have to pay with something. Let’s say you have been playing for 10 days and still haven’t found that piece of equipment that isn’t super rare but it’s nice and can make your build better, but instead you found another comparable piece(s) and you find someone who wants it(them). That’s fair.

Which progression curve has trading destroyed? D2s, the greatest ARPG of all time? Or PoEs, the indie company that grew large enough to challenge Blizzard on the ARPG market? Did trading destroy the progression curve in these games :)? Or are you talking about the highly exaggerated scenario you concocted in your head where 95% of the players trade their way to the top and sit idle in town with nothing left to do?

Lets not make mountains out of molehills please.

Yes, but aren’t most of those accounts unauthenticated? The ones they steal I mean. I’m envisioning accounts that have full licenses, verified e-mails, phone numbers/authenticators, saved locations. Stuff like that. I’m not a cybersecurity expert but I imagine blizzard could come up with something better than I could.

If you mean the Secondary Authentication device, that is part of how they have handed things in the past. However, the mobile Auth is free and the folks who compromise accounts promptly put a free Auth on what they stole. They do it to slow down the original owner from getting it back under control.

Good idea, but does not work in the current structure.

hahahahahhahaha that’s something i should say more often xD

Which I get, but I imagine for Diablo 4…you could change this. Push mobile auth, phone numbers, email, security questions, location/ip saves upon account creation, and let people know that they can control messaging via this method. Encourage their customers to be a bit more upfront with who they are and I imagine even online behavior will improve.