Whirlwind looks awful

Please take a look at it some more, it really doesn’t look good on a barb or assassin.

That spin looks WAYYYYY too slow, it’s going for way too much realism whereas the original looked like it was spinning 100x more.

13 Likes

I would guess they altered it to be more in line with it’s ability to hit but speeding up the animations rotation would take very little work, if I speed up the video to 1.5X that feels much better to me. 2X speed feels like too much but more in-line with the old version.

4 Likes

She looks like a twirling ballerina. Lol

8 Likes

It’s not just the whirlwind, a lot of skills need tweaking. I hope they start with the models and then move on to the skills though.

4 Likes

That looks pretty SWEET to me

3 Likes

It actually now scales with attack speed, which is a good thing IMO

3 Likes

I don’t know how else they could make it look.

I dunno, I play mostly barbs and it doesn’t bug me any.

1 Like

I think it could stand to have about 25-50% faster rotation.

Has this been confirmed or tested anywhere?

5 Likes

i also assumed it did but i would also like to see confirmation, sadly we likely have to wait until beta, and since that is “online”, I’m not sure we can actually test it, unless they also allow single player again as well

1 Like

yes. it was tested in the alpha. MrLlama tried it out at different AS and it changed the speed of the animation.

What would I gain from making a baseless claim?

2 Likes

Oh noo. Then a handfull try harder D2 Fanboys will come over here and say that is gamebreaking :wink:

I think this is excellent design.
Hopefully higher breakpoints actually allows to have it in the 30 to 50% range faster. (or even more)
Do we know the current IAS in this assa video?

The only thing I’d like to see is some wind trails.
Looks good besides that.

Ias affecting ww speed is a rumor. If a sin with claws is using ww, you better believe that’s the fastest it will go.

2 Likes

A man of culture I see.

We both like classic and barbs :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yeah there’s something about Classic barbs…I do hope the get the red Execs looking awesome in D2R …some of the colors for things like red bonehelms in alpha looked a little off to me too…we’ll see…see you in sanctuary :smiley:

Looks pretty dope to me.

2 Likes

I don’t see any problem with it. Actually, I like it more than the original.

8 Likes

I think that the more realistic a game looks, the less realistic things like whirlwind are going to look.

In the original D2, her WW animation was her stooping forward and pointing 1 claw outward as the character model spun in circles. Because this was old pixel graphics, people probably never noticed how awkward that actually looked and how unrealistic it would be a for a human being to attempt to spin a circle like that with their center of gravity being completely off center.

So while considering as much, ask yourself: “What should her WW even look like in D2r?” If they were to try and make it look like the old WW graphics, it would look terribly awkward in a game with realistic graphics like this.

If anything, maybe they could speed up her spin, but the actual graphics of the spin look fine to me.

2 Likes

Yup I think there is indeed some differences with Whirlwind

• In the video we can see that whirlwind has a delay in D2R + D2R Legacy switch. While there in none in D2 Legacy. It could mean that the barbarian might take slightly more physical damage , and generate less damage over time than originally.
  • While I understand the realistic approach, visually there is an easy-in ease-out to to have a realistic transition that makes the barbarian dance and slide at start and finish. I personally the skill needs more responsive visual feedback because whirlwind barbarians cast consecutively on short distances.
1 Like