Which trope do you want to be in Diablo4

No angels or demons were not killing their own children. They were contemplating to do it because they were afraid of either getting destroyed by humans or getting discovered by Heaven and Hell.
With Inarius gone for a while, Lilith decided to take charge and remove that possibility out of the equation altogether.

Regardless…
My my point originally was the fact that your post was kind of contradicting.
You want for humans to not have nephalem powers but hail “Blessed Mother” at the same time.
Lilith basically invented nephalem. The first nephalem were her doing.

It doesn’t make sense to go into D4 with Lilith as one of the main characters in the story and suddenly forget that she created nephalem to fight Heaven and Hell.

I understand that you don’t want players to have that kind of power. However, what if we are up against Lilith as main antagonist? How are we supposed to fight that when she can awaken nephalem powers in a simple farm boy?
And if she’s an ally or our leader, how the hell are you going to refuse her wish to awaken nephalem powers in you?

It simply doesn’t make sense that all nephalem are gone and their power diminished all of a sudden. Especially knowing that the Worldstone was destroyed very long time ago, and that was the only thing in existence that could control humans.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be funny in the game Lilith is the main bad gal but in subsequent expansions she is like Tyrael helping the player defeat the next iteration of evils!

Let Diablo 4 be Diablo 4. Let it write its own tropes instead of regurgitating the series. With that said, I’m quite sure they will find a way to shove Skeleton King and Butcher into the game, because they always do.

What about Diablo 4 starting with the human scattered in ruins and still recovering from demon attacks of twenty years ago like it tries to narrate from the screenshots and videos? Every time demons ruin the seemingly peaceful community of humans but now it looks even worse before demons were to arrive. Corrupted towns weren’t a thing back then, just ruins and murder.

After King Justinian IV murdered, we killed the only heir to the throne, Lord Wynton, as Nephalem can not let any more bloodshed and I believe Westmarch would still be in civil war along this twenty darn years until the events of D4 starts.
Belial took over Hakan the Second, a child emperor and we have no idea how Kehjistan is faring so far. Perhaps Belial also got away with an illusion, leaving his servant (third form) mistagged by Adria to get in Black Soulstone and that was why Nephalem were able to kill Diablo at its seemingly Prime form.

Pandemonium Fortress became the headquarters of Malthael and he killed a good half of mankind. Do we really think that humans would recover?
People must be desperate to get a grip on their comfort but influence of evil never really left the world after Nephalem pushed the reset everything button, by sending “most of” Prime Evils back to seven hells. The only trope we had so far was unending loops; recent one was a reset button with a cliff hanger while previous ones were telling a story of desperation more than a mere struggle.

Also I start to think that Tyrael has a grand scheme of things or a plan but it doesn’t click yet. Zoltun Kulle once said that angel and witch using Nephalem for their ends, which he was right. Does he really believe the potential of mankind or see them as a tool for ending this battle between hell and heaven?
Leah supposed to have a strong soul and we still have no idea if she gonna play a role in this installment or not. Will we gonna see Adria or Malthael awakened again? Who knows…

2 Likes

Seems farfetched.

• Belial announces his “true vision” (i.e. final form)
  • We transfer his soul into Black Soulstone
  • Diablo would’ve felt his absence in his Prime form
    • maybe even Adria’s ritual would’ve failed, if he was missing

Belial is also known as “Lord of Lies”. Far fetched; maybe. There’s a scrapped second expansion pack which we never get to play. When scrapped content, which allegedly the second expansion pack, released as a free update there’s a small side story about Vidian and it looked pretty familiar to me with it being in Act 2 and all. Just a theory of mine.

Yeah, my theory gets abit rocky there. Belial must have tricked Adria to get his own servant’s vessel to get marked by her to get into Soulstone. We will never know if this theory is true until we see Diablo Immortal or Diablo 4.
At least my theory gives a basic saturday morning cartoon villain some more depth so I’ll stick to it.

1 Like

The good thing is, that nephalem power don’t necessary means to be overpowered.

We can still remember that Uldyssian after his neph powers awakining from Lilith was a long time very weak. And his Eldyrims was not strong too.

I think the d2 champions who killed the great Evils are much more powerfull as the most of Uldyssians followers was.

What i critisize is to have as player the over powered neph might like we had in the end of d3. They have to find a solution to take it away.

Human + power → heroes [ok]
Human + power → gods [not okay]

I look forward to it they will, because we know there are enough humans outside (in d iv) who needs hlp. Although the worldstone no longer suppresses their inner power, they are still weak. Weaker than demons and angels.

But why it is so?

Lilith could be much, like Zoltun Kulle.
Friend, Enemie, selfish, highland?

I would say she is bad and we shouldn’t trust her.

Let’s see what will happens. But at least she was one of the first who was going away from the great conflict. So we can call her a peacekeeper. Blessed mother. Blessed Father.

Let’s do it like Linarian, emanzipate from the parents and make friendship with the dragon.

Nah

Uldysian was Almost Anu powerful

He made Diablo, the lord of terror, piss his pant just by is presence

Maybe Nephalem power is limited and shared like angels which would explain why he was so strong, being the only Nephalem he had all the Nephalem potential power

If this is the case, I fear for diablo 4 where sanctuary population it highly reduced meaning more concentrate Nephalem power

Personally, I just wish this trope goes away

I wrote the Uldyssian followers.
Other people calls them Eldyrim.

Uldyssian by himself is/was of course more powerfull as the d2 champs. ← still humans, not nephalems when we can differentiate it. Normally all humans are weak nephs.

But his followers was more powerfull as other humans at that time, but much weaker as the d2 heroes, although the Eldyrims (humans) neph power was awaked.

Diablo is a power fantasy to me and I want to feel like a god like I did in both D2 and D3. I don’t care about how it’s done in the story though as long as I am obliterating hordes of demons in gameplay.

1 Like

I disagree.

To kill the Lords of Terror, Destruction, and so on should be a highlight.

Same should be for the uber/World Bosses.

They should be a trophy and not like any else other monster we loot.

Why are the GRift Bosses in d3 stronger as the accumulated great evils together? That shouldn’t be possible.

One GR-Boss can bring the great conflict to his end? Ridiculous. But that is where we are with d3.

GR150 the strongest enemie i think.

Personally, I’m hoping more for the opposite with Diablo 4, at least when it doesn’t come to playing in low level areas.

Only time will tell. Although I wouldn’t be surprise if the game recieves balancing updates down the line that does let players obliterate hordes of enemies.

2 Likes

+1

+1

[post must be at least …]

Don’t conflate gameplay with storytelling. GR bosses being tougher than the Prime evils and what not is just a gameplay device due to how GRS work. Some rando demon isn’t more powerful than Diablo just because they are tougher in an upwardly scaling activity.

Likewise are the enemies in Act 5 more powerful than Diablo? Baal isn’t close in lore but he was most definitely tougher in game.

I hear this all the time. Even in low levels it’s a slog unless you are under expert with no paragon or cheesing the system like getting a cubed weapon at the start with your CR rewards.

I wasn’t talking specifically about D3. Nor was I talking about starting off a new character. I was talking about a high level player going back into a low level area for whatever reason.

1 Like

I have to agree

A lot of people don’t understand that lore wise, the monsters you encounter early game are about as powerful as those you encounter endgame

The magnitude of the scaling is for gameplay purposes

Gotcha. You should be a god in low level areas if there is no scaling.

I understand why you want that, I personally want to be a one man army.

1 Like

I understand as well that feeling. Just being that unstoppable force that turn the tides of a battle can be a fun feeling. It’s a bit of how I play my custome made maps with WC3 World editor.

Yes, I like both vibes to be honest. I like how some games allow you to be both. For example, in Sekiro you can either feel like you’re fighting to survive on an extremely hostile environment where you can die anytime, or you can feel like the most badass ninja assassin of all time, it just depends on how much you suck at the game. LOL