What's Blizz's stance on streamers who verbally abuse members of this community?

A streamer spent an hour verbally abusing members of this forums today, showing their names on his stream for his followers to flag on the forum.

I would like to know what Blizz stance on this issue is; since saying 1% of what he said today in-game would get most ppl muted for a week… or worse.

16 Likes

I know that coordinated abuse of the forum report system, or game report system, can get people punished. That punishment is within Blizzard’s ability to handle. Being a jerk on stream (verbally) is usually something the streaming platform handles. Blizz normally does not take action against people being jerks when they are not on Blizzard’s platform - exception can be if the person represents Blizzard as an esports professional or featured streamer/guest.

I obviously don’t know the details of this or who you are talking about. If you want to provide the link to the stream and details you can do that. I would try sending it to the hacks team (streamer abuse of Blizzard flagging system). You can reach them via email hacks@blizzard.com

They don’t usually respond, but they can evaluate it and forward to whatever team needs to see it for forum punishment.

EDIT - thank you for not naming the person. That would cause you to run into trouble with the forum rules and nobody wants that :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I imagine you recorded the whole thing so you have evidence and information.
These executions are much swifter when you have documented proof of everything that occurred.

The bigger question is to why the streamer did it, was it maybe a reaction to said streamer being named and shamed on the forums, same streamer being bombarded on his own streams by people sending messages.

I know of whom you speak, but saying that one part of the people playing are allowed to say any mean thing they can come up with, then attacking the same guy for responding.

Does that sound right to you?

3 Likes

I am sorry, but “calling out” people by name on the forums is not allowed under the code of conduct usually. They sometimes give a bit of leeway if it is positive, but this situation is best handled privately. I see your edit. That is a good move.

2 Likes

Here is the link:

Go to 50th minute mark. On and off he keeps trash talking throughout

I asked the original thread to be locked here:

6 Likes

I want only the link to the video.

If you have it, add and send to me, please.

I think there is some confusion about false flagging. Hypothetically, trolls target a user and get a post “buried”. The forum moderation team will look at the post in question. If the “hidden” post violates the forum CoC, the poster can be silenced/banned. Alternatively, if the post is in accordance with the CoC, the flags are removed and the post is made visible again. I suspect that if people keep targeting inappropriately the same poster falsely, then the false flagger’s account(s) could be sanctioned by Blizzard.

If it were me, I would remove a link/image/video if it specified anyone’s name.

Link is given above. Already the thread is locked there.

3 Likes

This streamer needs a punishment in the forum, it really put the people of the posts in an uncomfortable situation.

3 Likes

I am guessing, but all of it is so unnecessary. He just had to accept that it was a 7GR difference. And he went the other way around to justify his perspective, which is fine. Then, we saw this video…

Interestingly, he made an older podcast where they were covering the barb buff proposal, which is prepared by the person he is insulting actually :slight_smile: ironic.

7 Likes

I say this politely. This is why these idiots shouldnt be idolized. Streamers are not the go to source for this game and shouldnt be held to a higher standard than others.

16 Likes

Quin69 is life!!! xD
oh, it wasnt him? good xD

1 Like

Well then, this is frustrating. I obviously can’t do anything about it and it is a bit outside the normal mod actions. Community Managers are the ones who usually have a chat with Streamers to talk about their concerns. I have no idea if the named person is someone Blizz highlights or not.

Bookmarking stuff so I can at least past it to Nevalistis on Tuesday. Monday is a holiday in the US (Veteran’s Day) and I don’t know if she works that day or not.

1 Like

He is the one of the only streamers that knows this game in and out (Quin, Alkaizer and Chainer). So he would not talk like this I think lol

and mr. llama! dont forget this good boi!

4 Likes

The irony is the person he is trash talking about is one of the two authors of the barbarian buff proposal. 2.6.7 PTR barbarian items were designed by these people and a whole group of barbarians:

And previously he talked very good things about these buffs here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpz7ajwzUig&feature=emb_logo) At 34:10.

So ironic…

6 Likes

Big oof.

Lots of drama in all this. People misunderstanding information. Loss of cool and frustrated insults. Community toxicity. 3-year grudges.

A very interesting rabbit hole.

Didn’t see any advocating for flagging forum posters though. And the “verbal abuse” was less malicious mocking than I expected and more frustrated ranting. Not that it should have happened still.

Moderators and/or Community Team should have been on top of this all much sooner IMHO with more than just a thread lock. Looks like things have been festering for quite a while.

I hope they do something about it all after the holiday.

7 Likes

The whole situation is unfortunate. However, Blizzard does not usually go after people for their language/thoughts when it is not done on Blizzard’s platform. This happened on Twitch. If the person is a representative of Blizzard (contestant, esports pro tied to them, featured streamer) then that can change. Normally though, Blizz won’t smack us for speaking our mind about Blizz decisions, or even other players (on private platforms). If it is something violent that violates Twitch policy then it would be reported there or to police. I know this situation is not that bad!

Blizz can deal with any reporting abuse or trolling on the forums. They can also have a chat with the major players to learn about concerns. I have not watched much of the video yet, but unless there were really horrible comments I don’t expect Blizz to ask Twitch to do anything.

I really don’t want people to get smacked down for speaking their minds on a platform Blizz does not control. Not unless they are representing Blizz in a way.

5 Likes

The whole situation is unfortunate. However, Blizzard does not usually go after people for their language/thoughts when it is not done on Blizzard’s platform.

I understand. But I’m actually referencing stuff in the video that was shown of the forums here that sort of illustrates a pattern of abuse and/or toxicity that could have been handled before this became a Twitch thing.

3 Likes