What Wizard set do we need the most?

Across the board, for all characters, I believe if they made all the current skills that do NOT have any use at higher levels more viable, most people would be happy.
In other characters as well - e.g. Spike trap DH, Acid cloud WD so on and so forth…

I would love a to see a strong Blizzard, Hydras build and an item or two that makes Ice Armor’s Frozen Storm rune strong enough to do speed T16…

Well first of all, they need to remove that asinine stacking restriction on Blizzard. There’s no reason for it at all. Then maybe we’ll have a useable spell, who knows!

Thinking about this, I feel like this is what passive skills should be. Not boring percentage based damage increases/decreases, things that change the way you use certain skills or play altogether.

Arcane Dynamo is probably the best example of that.

I will call you out here, a little bit.

Comparing to the Tal Meteor channeling build. After a quick set up for the Tal set, really busy channel and cast a periodic meteor. I don’t see how buffing the channeling skill itself really changes that? What makes it pure? If I’m holding down the same button in what they did with DW and ES, as I would with your suggestion, does it matter?

One of my favorite Wizard builds is a LoD Fire Wizard build that channels Disintegrate and procs Meteor Shower via Etched Sigil and of course it uses Death Wish.

I think what Rhannmah is referring to here is that the Channelling Skill itself does
not really feel powerful, because your Meteors also get a 600-900% damage buff from the Meteor boots and therefore do the vast majority of the damage.

I think that when he is referring to a “Pure Channelling Build” he means a build where the vast majority of your damage is coming from the channelling skill and not from an ES proc.

Exactly. It’s not Arcane Torrent that does the damage, it’s Meteor Shower. I want to play a channeling build, but free meteor shower casts with 900% increased damage is always a better option than not, in these circumstances, and that’s boring.

With my set suggestion, the damage would come from the channeled spell. You’d support your channeling with a bunch of support spells that you could cast without interrupting channeling.

What spells would you use? From my pov, there is very little difference in what I see the rotation being. Esp against the LoD variant in Channeling Meteor Shower build.

I understand where the DMG is coming from. I just don’t see how that makes an effective difference to actual play.

I feels different.

Disintegrate deals damage in a straight line, but Meteor and Meteor Shower deal their damage in a circular area.

And then there also is the psychological effect when you know that your damage is coming primarily from the Disintegrate ray and not the Meteors.

I like some of your ideas. I can see what you are getting at, and it sounds like the blink mage style that i used with DMO:Orbit a while ago.

I would say tho, that you could get that with a few adjustments to the set bonus.

2pc: Teleport gains 5 charges and the Safe Passage rune. Teleport regenerates a charge every 7 seconds.
4pc: While channeling, release a Wave of Force per tic, and gain a shield of 15% total life that refreshes every tic.
6pc: Teleporting while channeling leaves behind a clone that continues to channel for 5 seconds. Gain 2000% damage for each active clone.

Shroud of the Temporal Maji.

EDIT: I’d like to add 2 supports.

ARCHMAGE’S VICALYKE
Upon creating any clone (Mirror Image, Fracture, Vaxo, Temporal Maji) you gain a 30% chance to instead summon an Elite clone that deals 150% damage, and lasts twice as long.

MOONLIGHT WARD
30% Element
Guaranteed Socket
Arcane Orb gains the Arcane Orbit rune. While channeling, these Orbs are launched along the path of the channeled skill.

That would be a fun build!

2 Likes

I think it also would be good to have adjustments to the base skill of Teleport, beyond improving Teleport via items or a set.

imo Teleport should have come with Charges instead of a cooldown from the beginning. Just like Dashing Strike, Teleport should have 2 charges (or even 3) that each take 8 seconds to recover. The Wormhole rune then could add another charge on top of that.

Currently Teleport is just one of the worst movement skills in the game.

1 Like

so like Fracture? Would be nice if the MI actually would attack and or channel

1 Like

What spells WOULDN’T i use is more like it. Here’s a list of spells that would become really interesting to cast with reduced/no cooldown and without having to stop channeling :

Black Hole (all runes, but especially event horizon to rub out elite affixes)
Wave of Destruction - Impactful Wave
Diamond Skin
Slow Time
Blizzard - Frozen Solid
Mirror Image
Teleport

possibly others i’m not thinking of right now.

I kinda made something like that with the LoN build with Etched Sigil, what I would do is cast slow time and stand in the middle of it while channeling with wave of force - impactful wave on my bar. I was almost invincible to ranged attacks because slow time would stop them and impactful wave would send them back. Was pretty interesting to say the least, but having no control over the spells cast through Etched Sigil while channeling is extra annoying.

Fracture clones were what sparked that idea, but current clones appear where you land after TP, not where you TP from.

It’s like TP:Fracture meets M4 Sentries that channel.

High speed, blink teleport, with burn down while repositioning. Sounds like a good D3 set idea… lol

Random and over complicated set idea.

Horazon’s Astral Perception

2 piece effect:
• Gain an unique stack (up to 50 stacks maximum) whenever you cast a spell, 3 stacks if the spell is an arcane spender. Use 25 stacks to cast the following skills free of arcane cost and/or without activating their cooldowns: Blackhole, Meteor, Blizzard, Energy Twister, Arcane Orb, Wave of Force, Hydra, and Explosive Blast. Use 15 stacks per tick to cast channeling spenders without cost.

4 piece effect:
• Casting an arcane spender reduces your damage taken by 60% for 5 seconds, 7 seconds if you didn’t spend any resource on casting the spell. Enemies hit by any manually casted arcane spenders are slowed by 15% and take 10% more damage from you for 2 seconds, if the arcane spender was manually casted without spending any resource, then enemies are slowed by 45% and take 25% more damage from you for 3 seconds. Your movement speed is increased by xx% for 5 seconds whenever you cast an arcane spender.

6 piece effect:
• Reduce the number of stacks needed for a free cast to 10, 6 stacks for channeling spenders. Casting an arcane spender increases your damage by xxxx% for 10 seconds. For every three seconds gain one unique stack. Manually casting an arcane spender without cost has a chance (2% chance for each unique stack acquired) for you to cast the same spender twice (the 2nd cast costing no arcane or stacks while dealing xxx% more damage, with a xx% increased to its attack speed if possible) or instantly deal 10 ticks worth damage if freely casted spell was a channeling spell.

… you must work for Blizzard already. :astonished:

Haha no, I just have a habit making things more complicated than necessary.

Giving upcoming “nerf” to Chantodo set (and by extension Vyr’s set), what set is best for wiz in farming/speed GRs in next season?

LoD EB/Manald/Hydra speed.

Explosive Blast definitely needs some love.

1 Like

Wand of Woh

Cast EB 3 times, if it hits more than 3 monsters, it doesnt trigger the cooldown.