What if D3 got Hybrid Gems?

DISCLAIMER: I’m casual, i play to complete season journeys and test new sets or complete achievements, so i’m not good at judging the power and depth of mechanics, gear, etc. With that said:

Would it be a good idea to introduce hybrid gems.
These would be attribute gems that combine the effects of the 3 attribute gems (Ruby, Topaz, Emerald) to yield a 50% of each one’s effect. For example:

Flawless Royal Tourmaline (Ruby-Emerald): … - Other: 140 Strength, 140 Dexterity.

Flawless Royal Hessonite (Ruby-Topaz): … - Other: 140 Strength, 140 Intelligence.

Flawless Royal Sapphire (Topaz-Emerald): … - Other: 140 Intelligence, 140 Dexterity.

For once i don’t know if it would barely make a difference, be worth the trouble or be blatantly OP. So I ask all of you.

Would it make build slightly more interesting if not also colourful?

1 Like

It wouldn’t be worth the time it would take to implement, even if that was just 5 minutes. Because gem use is more or less written in stone across the board.

• Emerald for weapon (crit damage)
  • Diamonds for chest + pants (resistances)
  • Topaz (resource cost reduction) or Diamond (cooldown reduction) for helm (and the occasional amethyst = +Life % if you’re not wearing Crimson set)
1 Like

Exactly what i feared.
Ah well, question answered.

1 Like

A more likely approach would be to add a means to fuse a gem to a legendary gem for some bonus stats. However, I’d also like to see a few more tiers added where the non-traditional choices get some exponential bumps to make them more tempting over chasing yet more main stat.

1 Like

I want Jewels back. :frowning:

At least that would give build diversity to the body armor/legs slots. Instead of auto-diamond, you could get a rare jewel that has a variety of stats which may be desirable. IE: Crit chance, elemental damage, crit damage, area damage, cooldown, etc

If you roll up a jewel that has 3-5 affixes and perhaps you get something like this:

Chaos Bane (rare jewel)
+10% to fire damage
+5% chance to critical hit
+25% all resists
+19% area damage
5% cooldown reduction

If I’m running a fire build, I’d at least consider socketing that jewel instead of a top tier diamond.

3 Likes

Perhaps a small collection of special jewels with a new galore of affix combinations would help refresh builds a bit.

I’d like it if there was a cube recipe to: 1. Add standard FR (flawless royal) gems’ helmet properties to the Red Soul Shard. 2. Add either FR Diamond (res all) or FR Amethyst (+VIT) to the legendary gems for rings/amulets–no mainstat (STR, DEX, or INT) gems can be used for these, as you can Caldesann the item they go into. 3. Add any of the corresponding Weapon Properties of FR gems to the Gem of Ease (or have 130% CHD AND the bonus exp too :slight_smile: ).

*These would add some survivability to your heroes and some utility buffs without getting in the way of using Caldesann’s recipe for mainstats on the items you put the gems into.

There’s room for more gems. They won’t be main stat gems, but there’s enough basic affixes to create more Diamond-esque gems.

Helm: Increase Gold and Health Pickup by 20 Yards.
Weapon: Chance to Deal 100% Area Damage on Hit.
Other: +700 Armor

Helm: Increase Resource Regeneration by 10%
Weapon: Increase Attack Speed by 15%
Other: Increase Movement Speed by 7.5%

Generally you’d still see the same gems being used for higher level content, but gems like those can offer alternatives (Increased Attack Speed, Area Damage, Armor, Resource Regeneration) or be useful for farming (Pickup Radius, Movement Speed)

1 Like