What have you done to the website?

This is also going to affect anyone that has to use a VPN as well, so there’s more than just the usual impact going on here. Someone that has to use a VPN might not even be able to get to their profile without massive hassle if the forum is now using geolocation and forcing the region on the user regardless of the user’s preferences.

I have my EU Career Page bookmarked as…
https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Meteorblade-2266/career

I have my US Career Page bookmarked as…
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Meteorblade-2266/career

Both of those bookmarks now re-direct to…
https://diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/Meteorblade-2266/career
…which shows my EU Career page.

Now that the re-direct is being done automatically based on the viewer’s IP location, how is someone based in EU supposed to look at US heroes, and vice versa?

2 Likes

I have heroes on all 3 regions. Now, I can only view my Asia heroes. The bright side is that it can view in English now, not just Chinese/Korean.

1 Like

Pretty obvious what happened here. They got mixed up and gave the whole online armory an overhaul instead of the actual game’s next patch.

Australian players to Korean forums :slight_smile:

The change also broke the ability of posters without Trust Level 3 to post links to Blizzard’s own blog articles. For example, as Trust Level 2, I can create a link like this…

[PTR 2.6.10 Preview Blog](https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/23529004)

Which successfully results in this… PTR 2.6.10 Preview Blog

However, when I visit that URL, I’m now re-directed to a non-geographic version of it.
When I try to create a link to that URL, like this…

[PTR 2.6.10 Preview Blog](https://diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/blog/23529004)

I get told that I’m not allowed to include hyperlinks in my posts, i.e. they haven’t added the diablo3.blizzard.com domain to the trusted whitelist of domains that TL2’s can create links to.

Another test. Although I still get told I’m not allowed to include links in my posts, if I put the following URL for my armoury Career page into the editor…

https://diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/Meteorblade-2266/career

The preview I get in the editor is of my level 1 US Barbarian called “IPlayOnEU”, i.e. because the US forum server is in the US, the geographic career page it pulls from is the US one.

So, it seems there’s no way at all for someone that plays on EU to provide a link to their heroes on the US forums.

1 Like

It took me a bit to get back to the us forums from yesterday, however in the past it used to take me to eu still to with the redirect on a clean browser until i had been to us and then it always pushed me to us.

Now without bookmarks it is a hassle, seems like blizz are doing everything in there power to make life difficult for themselves by reducing qol for playerbase

This also happened to me, at fist I didn’t notice and I was wondering why the forum is so dead and its missing parts/sub forums like PTR.

Then noticed that I’m on the EU forums which I stoped visiting years ago.

So if I want to see EU poster’s profile, I have to use EU IP to view it? What the heck?

just like me and prolly alot others :joy:

i wouldnt wonder if the forum in my language has already registered the start of S21 lulz
they used to be weeks behind the us forum

This mixed with the France office closing and the changes going on in Blizzard it seems like activation if forcing even more control over blizzard.

Ugh. This is really, really bad. Just absolutely foolish. And why? What was gained by this dumb change?

I guess now when somebody from EU or AS asks me for help with their gear, I just need to get them to submit a D3planner link, or at least go to that site myself and import their build. That is, assuming this change doesn’t mess with D3planner’s ability to correctly import player profiles from different regions…

1 Like

On top of getting automatically redirected to the Korean forums, I also can’t view my own profile, nor the profiles of anyone else, no matter how I change the language options :weary:

Furthermore, some of the links I or others had that led back to Blizzard’s own D3 game guide are broken :grimacing:

Ok, yes they did make changes (as we all know). The thread has been passed up to the web team but I don’t know what they might say, if anything. At least we know this was on purpose! I suppose that is a good step?

Hah… yeah.

Edit - Ty to PezRadar for listing and being willing to pass the feedback along. I wanted to clarify that I can’t talk to the web team, dev tem, or most anyone else! So I appreciate them being willing to listen.

3 Likes

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Why CM’s not aware of this, and have to be told?

2 Likes

It is complicated. The forums are a tiny tiny part of what Community Managers handle. They write the news blogs/handle translations etc. They handle all the promotion campaigns. They handle all the other places we post. Reddit, fan sites, twitter, FB, whatever. Streamers too.

The forums are a tiny tiny part of what CMs handle and they depend on topics being “popular” to bubble up or someone to point it out.

I point things out within my area of expertise (don’t ever ask me about builds as I am a casual noob). Policy and website stuff though is my area.

While very few people post here about it, I realize the issue impacts a far wider area. Hence I bring it up. I am only a normal player with green text. I use it to make sure things that might not get attention on the forums but impact a lot of people, get to the right places.

6 Likes

Thanks for escalating this MissCheetah.

As a quick / dirty / temporary workaround, do you think they might consider adding the non-geographic domain to the Trust Level 2 whitelist so that we can continue to embed links to Blizzard’s own game guide / blogs / armoury pages? It seems daft that they don’t consider their own domains as trustworthy destination URLs.

2 Likes

Just an update on this - Our web teams are looking into some of the issues here.

We did do a migration of the Diablo 3 site to be more in-line with other Blizzard franchises. diablo3.blizzard.com is now the new URL for Diablo 3 and with this came a few hiccups that we are looking into.

RE: Regional selection for forums, we suggest using the footer at the bottom of the page to adjust language preferences which will redirect to said forums/pages.

3 Likes

Thanks Radar for the update.