What are the expected Minimum Hardware Requirements?

ROG Strix SCAR 15, it’s cooling is very efficient compared to the Zephyrus I feel, they just didn’t build it right, Zephyrus looks elegant and slick but it’s too compact to handle these kind of cooling

Drothvader was a forum MVP back when D3 started. He left the position many many years ago. He does not stream or anything. He does keep in touch with some of the folks here.

1 Like

So basically they pulled an Apple when they designed your older laptop. Not surprised, really.

OK, so OBS has two x264 encoding paths then (NVENC includes hardware x264 as well as h.265/HEVC on Kepler and later GPUs). QuickSync should work too, but only if he’s got enough spare cores for the CPU cycles. Sure would be nice for streamers, especially those that want to get into streaming, if there were more elegant solutions than the most commonly used methods these days. Few people can afford the current best option, which is a second box for capture/streaming and the first box is the gaming computer.

2 Likes

My whole rig is a week link, really, when it comes to gaming. But then again, she wasn’t really built with gaming in mind. She runs D3 well enough…

I don’t really want to spend too much on her right now with regards to upping the specs to work with D2R. My whole intention is to get a completely new PC around about the time when Diablo IV will be released.

This is what I had in mind:

• RYZEN 7 5800X(8x4.7GHz+)
  • 64GB DDR4
  • 512GB NVME SSD
  • GEFORCE GT 710 2GB DX12

This is what GPU-Z gave me:
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/21/05/31/q74.png

1 Like

That’s a sound decision, but by then you will probably have at least the new generations of GPUs so don’t set it in stone because you might have better hardware to choose from, that being said if you just want an SSD so your windows will sit in it without putting anything else I would say 512GB is enough, but if you want to utilize the speed of an SSD to faster loading times and intensive design work(if that’s what you’re into) ill suggest to get at least another SSD where you could operate on separately without affecting you operation system performance

Yep. That was my thought too. Games are huge these days and a second SSD is kind of required.

1 Like

indeed, even with a 1TB SSD I feel choked up so I can’t imagine how it would feel with only 512GB

if you want to fill it, all you got to do is install Call of duty basically haha

Yep. Juggling all the games gets to be a giant pain. At least Blizzard games can be transferred to any drive you want and you just point the launcher at them. No actual install/uninstall.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did every time I sent my old laptop for repair, saves a ton of time

1 Like

Indeed. My steam library + WoW/D3 on the PC side is now 1.4 TB. My SSD is 2 TB, but the build I’ve yet to make due to my back just being a jerk has only 1 TB NVMe drives (one each for macOS/Windows games). So I’m going to need that 2 TB SSD to hold games that don’t need ultra fast reads from NVMe. I mean, hell, D2R is what, 20 GB vs. the old being 1.8 GB?

Yeah D2R size is insane for all the graphics. I only have a 512 on my laptop which has not been in issue…and it can’t play D2R so there is that. I think the Franken-puter has multiple drives including partitioned SSD or something.

A 512GB SSD will serve me well, really. My existing rig has a SATA-based SSD for nearly 2 years now for the primary and has 310GB free space. Most of my work data is stored on old-school high capacity HDDs, and doesn’t really need the boost of an SSD.

Although as I understand it correctly, I’ll get an ever greater boost to bootup and program startup times if I switch from a SATA-based SSD to an NVME based drive?

indeed, it will usually help with intense loading times as well if you play games like Totalwar warhammer and the like which can make a difference of 10-15 minutes loading times to a few minutes

and as you said it helps for a smoother experience at general, you might notice it or you might not depending on your activities but it should definitely load your operation system faster if it is installed on your SSD

Thanks! It explained more than I knew, really.

But with experience building my own PCs (and occasionally for others), I know of the different types of SSDs out there. I use a SATA-based SSD on my rig, because it doesn’t natively support M.2 and I could not justify the expense of providing M.2 support via a PCIE card.

1 Like

Use a standard SSD for your OS and save the NVMe drive for games. Trust me, the OS only boots up one, maybe two seconds faster with NVMe since it’s doing tons of tiny 4k random reads and apps still take time to actually run their startup routines after being loaded into RAM.

1 Like

I know!

“PROMETHEUS” (What I call my rig :grinning:) went from a bad HDD that took 9:30 minutes to boot up to about 86 seconds after replacing the primary with a SATA-based WD/SanDisk SSD.

Not that boot times matters much anyway, seeing as I never power down except when we have have a city-wide power outage…

What in blazes do you have that takes nearly a minute and a half to boot up on an SSD? Mine boots to the desktop in <10 seconds, and takes about ten more seconds for the EVGA Precision X OC app to load (it loads slooooow as it has to validate against the VBIOS on the GPU).

he might have an annoying bios, I’ve seen some of those

Let me elaborate. When I say 86 seconds to boot, I mean from a complete power-off state, to a point when I can enter the desktop login password.

It good enough, really. 90 seconds or so is just enough time for me to go to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and get back so I can work… :grinning:

That’s still absurd. I go from a powered off state to the desktop in ten seconds flat, and ten seconds after that is when I can start using the computer normally (Precision X OC really takes a long time to load). I’d open Task Manager and check your startup items to see which are affecting load times. Even on a traditional HD I can get faster boots than yours.