What about Splash damage for melee characters?

Sup guys its a good idea blizzard add Splash damage for melee classes have a better evolution and farm gaming?

1 Like

Terrible idea imo, and I absolutely hate it.

That being said, welcome to the forum, glad to see new contributors, GLHF.

10 Likes

There are melee skills for hitting multiple enemies. I dont think this is needed.

5 Likes

Well, Barbs can whirlwind or use war cry, but one means a certain play style and the other is largely unviable. I wouldn’t mind replacing Increased Stamina with a passive spread of elemental damage, but it only converts a portion of your damage, not add to it, which would be imbalanced.

I don’t see why we would need it or why would we consider such an addition, it’s not even that popular on the mode you tried it on to begin with

3 Likes

As a mostly melee char, no. Most classes have at least one build that will allow multi target fast hits, that’s fine.

The main problem with the preference to casters is the caster AoE damage usually outshines the melee damage. To help out the melee damage needs to be better than caster AoE damage. Until the AoE has some ‘downside’ it will always be better.

Bringing up Guild Wars like I always do, the casters had decent single target damage that was spamable. The Big AoE shots has long casting time, thus balancing out the high AoE damage with the increased problem with hitting things that were not pinned down. They seemed to have ‘tried’ to balance Orb by nerfing its damage which is why Blizzard and Meteor are preferred now. But with most mercs it’s really easy to get a mob in a set spot to kill.

1 Like

i have played with it pod, and while it is pretty cool, i don’t really want it in the original d2.
its a pretty massive dps buff for melee characters as it not only hits enemies around you… but will also hit the main enemy twice… as well has leeching life from all enemies hit (although the splash counts as ranged damage so leech values are reduced) ( when i say “hit” just assuming you have enough attack rating to always hit, or ignore targets def)

i don’t want it in… this is something i agree should stay in mods… way to big of a change.
bring over the loot filers and the charm inventory for sure… but this is an actual balance change and its way too big to just bring over and not need to massively re-balance other stuff which i don’t want.

2 Likes

Why do melee character need them anyway?
Every melee character have multi-target build.

• Amazon: Lightning Strike
  • Assassin: Dragon Tail build or Phoenix build
  • Bar: whirlwind build
  • Poison Necro: Poison Nova
  • Druid: Feral Fury build
  • Paladin: Zealot build
3 Likes

Few AoE builds isnt really good argument because basicly every build of sorc is AoE for example so I think several characters classes actualy lack AoE dmg based skills. It something I would maybe like to see being adressed somehwere in future, for example removing useless skills and adding few new skills to have better build diversity. Thats something I would like to see, but I understand that majority will be against it and think its crazy and they will rather keep playing few more years with skills they never used and never will use :slight_smile:

For example it would be nice if barb could hit like 2 or 3 enemies with his attacks at the same time, just have very short range with his dmg skills. Necro could have spash damage on bone spirit…

Having used it in project diablo 2 it is amazing all it dose is allow melee to be half as good farmers as spell and ranged with out it melee is awful for farming and everything out side ubers with smiter.

1 Like

While I wouldn’t throw a hissy fit if they added splash damage, wouldn’t it just be easier to I dunno, buff the physical skills than come up with a new mechanic to code? All classes have multiple aoe builds, the casters and elemental damage ones just get a better scale than the physical.

In another thread, I posted how many physical skills have room for improvement. In terms of melee aoe/multi target:
Barb: Whirlwind has no synergy.
Barb: Double Swing does not increase damage by leveling the skill itself, only by 1 single synergy (Bash). Frenzy has good scaling, but the movement speed increase is a turn off for some people that would rather stick with Double Swing.
Paladin: Zeal’s first 4 levels have no bonus outside of adding an extra attack up to 5 strikes. Room to give it the same 6% damage and 10% AR as the rest of the levels. Zeal mixes well with almost any aura, and would improve many builds with just one skill.

Barb is the best MF char in the game, and one of the best key/runefinders…

get outta here with this melee is awful for farming nonsense.

you’re still WW that first pack while other classes clear whole screen and 2 screens froward.
mf barb lol rune finder barb… ok if you want to find items and runes at the slowest pace possible.

Clearly you haven’t played much Barb. As someone who has mained Barb for 20 years I want you to do me a favor and google “Chaos Sanctuary Zerk barb MF”

I’m guessing you’ve never ran a runeglitcher, so, maybe try that if you don’t think Barbs are one of the best runefinders and MF chars in the entire game.

I have played barb many times over the years, they are terrible at clearing compared to spells and ranged attacking one mob at a time while other classes clear the whole screen in 2 shots, barb can never get any where close to other classes clear speed.

ah yes iv’e seen so many botters using these amazing barbs that are the “best” mfers and finders. runes come from clear speed which barbs are awful at, probably the worst clear speed in the game, they always have been they are defiantly not the “best” rune finder mfer in the game.

Barbs are the best pit runner. They are close to light sorceresses and hammerdins at chaos runs, and make up for the minor difference with find item.

In chaos runs (mathematically the best place in the entire game for HRs), it isn’t about killing all mobs, it’s about killing the seal bosses. Barbs are one of the best for that.

They definitely don’t need a buff lol.

best pit farmers?!? argh man, watching barbs clear pit is just painful, watching them run around having to chase every mob, meanwhile my ama or light sorc 2 shot whole screen dead moving on, im not saying barb cant find stuff im saying they are very low on the rune mf hunt characters, no one uses find item apart from single players… by the time you have used find item im already on next screen lol.

Wraiths have the best rune drop rate in the game, its only these that make chaos the semi best any lvl 85 area is just as good as farming chaos.

Barbs are the best pit farmers for MF. It isn’t even a question. They don’t runefind in pit because as you said, it’s insane to kill anything more than bossmonsters/find item in pit with them.

Necros outshine them for pitrunning for runes.

However, in chaos they reign supreme, and no, it isn’t the wraiths that people want, it’s the density of mobs relative to not needing to kill them. Wraiths are just a bonus.

Barbs are one of the best runeglitchers. They don’t need to kill everything, and they teleport faster than dins. They are fantastic runefinders in CS.

1 Like

If this is the case, spells should apply life leach, mana leach, proc on hit, etc.

1 Like

Melee attacks can benefit from CB, OW and lifetap. Nothing more is needed.

2 Likes