Was the art really so great to begin with?

Let’s face it. The original art of Diablo II wasn’t all that great. It was allot of fun, at the time, but as the years rolled by, I couldn’t help wondering…

“What is that thing on her head?”
“Is he on fire, or just really bright red?”
“Why does my Necromancer look like a drug addict?”
“Are those breasts? Or, is she wearing a skull bikini?”

I’m hoping to get the answers to all of these questions, once the game comes out!

3 Likes

Which character is that?

1 Like

Fallen. They carried torches, but sometimes, it looked like their heads were on fire.

Ah, ok. i was expecting about something more fiery somehow.^^

What i am kinda hoping for is that some monsters have a bigger difference than just a color change.
Like fallen and carver being just red/blue versions of the same thing. Ofc for technical reasons.
But maybe the remaster will actually have some more diversity there.

2 Likes

The original high resolution art and models of Diablo 2 didn’t need to be highly detailed, because they knew the resulting downscaled images for the game would not retain the fine details of the high resolution images/models. There was no point in adding fine details, because they would disappear or blur into surrounding colors and become indistinguishable when downscaled for the game character sprites.

Take a high resolution photo of yourself, scale it down to around 75x100 pixels and see how much detail remains.

640x480 and 800x600 were still common resolutions used back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s, they were resolutions that the vast majority of computers could handle easily with a complex sprite based game. They also took into account the broad range of computer hardware that was still in service and made sure that Diablo 2 would play on a not-so-great computer system still in service back then. This was all done to extended the reach of computer systems the game would run on which maximized profits.

Sure, there were plenty of other games that looked way better than Diablo 2 at the time of release, however a lot of those games required high end expensive hardware to run, which some of those games suffered financially because 95% of the computers were too slow to run them adequately or even at all.

There are probably toasters available today that have 10+ times the CPU horsepower that is required to run the original Diablo 2 game.

7 Likes

Still it’s funny :exploding_head: :poop:Stupid the monsters will be better put together than the players characters :man_facepalming:I can only hope the game play is all it should be and and Blizzard/Buzzard Fan Boys say it will be :laughing: :joy: :rofl: and isn’t :poop:up like Diablo III was for years and Warcraft Reforged was

And yes everyone with a brain knows (or they should anyway by this time)that they didn’t try all that hard for years to make Diablo III a good game

They tried, and succeeded. Is it my favorite game? no, but it’s clearly a good game. The mechanics work, people still love it after nearly a decade, etc.

Would have been better if they had listened to reason during development, like no RMAH, etc, but oh well. Here’s hoping D4 is better.

4 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:Yeah and how long did it take them to get it that way?:man_facepalming:And yes I already gave it credit for being halfway decent game but that it took them almost ten years to get it there. And oh yes the RMAH Isn’t the only thing wrong with it, And itemization still has issues, At times you still get very low damage level 70 items that are only good for mats​:man_facepalming:

For a video game, it was fun and i played it for what it was.
But saying it’s a diablo 2 successor. Is laughable.
The mechanics scream WoW. The art screams WoW. It was basically diablo gone wow.

9 Likes

Here we go, now that we’ve made compelling arguments to keep the visuals authentic to the original concept, specifically all of the character model criticism, now they’ve moved on to say the original art was no good anyway and the change was deserved…

I friggin’ knew it would come to this.

5 Likes

I didn’t say it was no good. It was fine for it’s time. Just that by today’s standards, it’s not all that great. I will always love Diablo II, as the most intriguing, intuitive, and deep dive RPG ever made.

I loved it, and I would never say it wasn’t good, for it’s time.

2 Likes

I thought to this day the Ghoul/Vampire/Etc Lords had some red hair or skullcap on top of their heads, but turns out, they just had liver spots like Gorbacsev. :smiley: Also, I assumed the Corrupted Rogues had a demonic head variant with horns, but it seems that was a skull helmet. I also never noticed Sand Leapers had 6 eyes!!!

You mean Diablo 3? I would say, more like it had very heavy anime / JRPG influences. Especially from stuff like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy. But indeed, the art style went overboard and over-detailed instead of the streamlined, relatively simple western monster designs we got super elaborately detailed demons -Malthael’s Reapers are especially prone to this. I still like the art style, but it was indeed very different from 1 and 2.

1 Like

I feel your point is lacking in scope.

Forget the argument about
gameplay being brought down to a manageable level for a better consumer demographic.

Did you honestly just omit on purpose or pure forgetfulness the utterly fantastic and ground breaking cinematic cutscenes that artistically blew the competition from the water?

Not only did these cinematics shore up ANY graphical gameplay fidelity desires but they expanded upon the known universe in fantastic detail.

I don’t wish to accuse you of trolling but surely you jest.

2 Likes

Not sure what you’re saying. In English?

Cutscene gud. Art in cutscene gud. Your opinion not gud.

And, you didn’t wanna call me a troll?

For it’s day, yes. Cutsene gud (German?). My point was, it’s time for an update, since the game is still valid, even by today’s standards. It’s about time that we get to see in in High Definition, and that can’t happen without a dedicated art team. The more players want better graphics, the harder they work.

Unfortunately, there’s very little to work with. Only some books, rare ones, at that, and some of the original art concepts.

Perhaps, you are unfamiliar with the High Definition war? It was fought by big stars, on the big screen, because they didn’t want their moles, warts, and other imperfections showing up on the big screen. They lost, of course, and a new, perfect looking people generation was born.

We should never ask for perfection. That’s the whole point of art.

Not originally.

Game goes from plains and moors, to dark Gothic labyrinths, to sweltering deserts and hidden tombs, across wonky plains of magic, to a jungle retreat and the ruins of a great civilization, to the very depths of hell and all the way to a mountain summit.

With groundbreaking cinematics that wouldn’t be challenged for at least half a decade.

Yeah, I didn’t want to accuse you of trolling when you said,

But with that “In English” remark you may have changed my mind.

Its actualy brilliant idea, if you light your hair on fire, you dont need torch in hand and you can use weapon+shield!

1 Like

All the cool kids in my high school were necromancers. They are still out there summoning things at the stop lights to this day.

2 Likes