Upgrading Rares: Isn't it great rares can be useful as a lottery ticket with a chance to be better than a legendary?

…said the D2 fans.

What they failed to realize is that when you have a million lottery tickets, you have to read a million lottery tickets.

5 Likes

I found/crafted a whole bunch of useful magics, rares and crafts in D2.

The odds were low enough to keep the items special, but high enough to still make it worth picking them up and identifying them (at least if you knew what you had to look for).

Crafting and imbuing even gave you a decent amount of control about the results if you took the time to read a guide :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This will only be true if we have the disastrous droprates of D3.

6 Likes

I never understood this opinion of it’s too many things to look at. Then just don’t look at them or only look at specific slot items you want to upgrade. Why be against something that for those against it could just be optional?

5 Likes

That’s just laziness.

You should have to read every item you pick to be sure it is good or not. And having the opportunity to save a good rare item for later is an awesome perspective.

6 Likes

I can imagine, you dont want to think and read, when playing this game
D3 fan :wink:

4 Likes

If you have a million lottery tickets, you’re not going to look at them?

@Londer, Lolli42: Nope. You should have to read all the items that can’t be mindlessly filtered out for having low rolls.

That’s what coloring items orange does.

D2 fanboys hate playing the AH, but hypocritically want to read millions of tooltips instead of playing the game.

3 Likes

auction house? because i want to LOOT my gear
and then read it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You’re not going to lose too much while picking up only legendaries. They will be the best on default, while leaving you room to get as usefull rare, very occasionally.
Potentially it might be little better, but still with very specific combination and use of item that adds legendary power.
Why take it out if lot of people likes checking out these items ? You will still target very specific type of item afterall, which means, it will occur not too often.

But why would you look at items you have no need for? Do you really need to look at a bunch of weapons you’ll never use? These “million lottery tickets” could drastically be reduced if you have some self-control and only look at what might be an upgrade.
Also as someone already pointed out there won’t be so many to look at if we have decent drop rates and not the super drops of D3 and PoE
AH was only bad in regards to real money. They should have never taken out the gold AH and the majority of complaining came from those who felt required to spend real money. Wow sounds like there’s a similarity between those who “had” to pay for items in early D3 and those who “have” to look at every single rare.

1 Like

I think you need to play D2 and then you’ll understand exactly why what you’re saying does not apply.

1 Like

This all depends on how things play out. There is nothing wrong with using the right rare items to support your build along with a few legendaries as well. Heck this new system could actually give us what Jay was gonna give us is a system that allows us to use a mix of magic, rare, set, and legendaries.

2 Likes

Why would you upgrade a rare that you have no intention of using?

It sounds like they should not have those stupid “loot explosions” that add nothing to the game and are designed entirely to make people feel excited about the possibility of a good item when in reality 99% of items you get are scrap.

Then they wont have the “you need to look at a million items, only 4 of which are potentially any good” problem.

Sounds like you’d rather have ancients than the option of another item quality which to me is pretty awful. What’s next you’ll ask for primals in D4 too?

No I want to know why you would upgrade ordinary belts when the belt you are after is a mighty belt

Diablo 2 did that…

Are you confusing item type:(mighty belt, regular belt) and item quality(rare, legendary)?

I think the biggest issue with rares is people got too used to D3 and slotting everything as sets/legendaries. Rares should be potentially useful if legendaries become more like D2 uniques and have set affixes and let rares be the random rolls they are. Then upgrading a rare could be worthwhile because you could see that 1 in a thousand rare that would be even better with a legendary affix but legendaries (and sets) would still have their places.

Anything could be a upgrade. So you must look at everything.

@Lolli42 I want to play the GAH because it requires thing.

You want to read and filter out millions of trash items, because it doesn’t require thinking.

Why create items to be useless?
Give all item kinds a reason to be in the game… and dont call that reason salvaging and selling because thats boring and lazy design…

Let there be amazing white items with bigger crafting purposes…
Let there be amazing magic items also with crafting purposes…
Let there be amazing rares items with more affixes rolls but lower values… with restricted crafting purposes…
Let there be unique items that no other item will grant you these affixes (NO LEGENDARY POWERS). and be able to upgrade low base stat to higher base stats for some cost (damage or armor stats).
Let there be low-high tier of set items but not be the best build ever…

Mythic items seem like wanting to take the spot of any of those other item types… but since its limited to only 1 slot of your gear seems fine, but theres no need to make them overwhelmingly powerful… only meaningful

5 Likes