Upgraded to Windows 10 much lag

And I’m experiencing a lot of lag and disconnects. Isp is fine on their end. I made some adjustments according to Blizz support, but no improvements. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Upgrade your Network Driver , i had this issue to when i first upgraded from 7 to 10 and found the Network Driver would drop out and i would lose Internet. Press install or updated / different Network Driver might help you. Unlikely Blizzard related

1 Like

Thanks much, but after updating those driver there was still on improvement. :slightly_frowning_face:

Directly and honest, what i would do after such a step.

1. Update Bios
  2. Driver Update, Bios, GPU, Chipset
  3. Delete Cache Folder, go to search bar, type %appdata% and delete battle.net
  4. If you don’t see any improvements after step 3, reinstall game completely

If you don’t get any improvements after step 4

1. Reinstall windows, doesn’t take much time, its clean, no problems anymore and will also help your overall stability

Peace :relaxed:

PS: If i would be in your situation, i would have done step 5 anyway at first. Nothing would make me more crazy than old junk files or the knowledge, that there was another OS on the SSD before. :joy:

1 Like

DieHard,

Here are some REAL fixes to try:

1. Set CPU priority to AboveNormal in task manager (crtl-shift-esc). You can do this by right clicking Diabloiii.exe or Diabloiii_x64.exe in the details tab, click set priority.

2. Set CPU affinity to 2 or 3 cores in task manager.
This DRAMATICALLY affects FPS since the game engine they chose for D3 is very CPU dependent. This depends on which CPU you have and how many cores it contains, but I found that 3 cores works best for my intel i7 CPU. Make sure to choose non hyperthreaded cores for this if you have an i7 or i9 Intel CPU. I choose cores #2,4, and 6. Get there by right clicking the exe, set affinity.

3. Lower your audio channels to 16. It sounds horrible but helps.

4. Turn off all unnecessary features or programs running when you game. The crazy thing I do is kill explorer.exe in task manager. You can re-run it with crtl-shift-esc, click file, run, type in explorer.exe to get back, or simply restart your comp.

The game engine has been very unstable since beta and Blizz has not done anything to help us PC users performance since RoS. I hope this helps you and others since these are the only real fixes I can suggest until our game engine gets a refresh, which will most likely never happen. :metal:

Get a new computer. If your computer was running Windows 7 that means it’s way too old.

This dell laptop would run Diablo 4 most likely, and it comes in at around $1,100 if you make sure to downgrade from 10 pro to 10 home.

https://www.techradar.com/news/one-of-the-best-value-gaming-laptops-right-now-is-a-dell-business-notebook

If you’re worried about long gaming sessions and over heating, I would recommend a Desktop PC. Might be hard to find a good value, but they are out there. you can get one with like 16gb ram and a RTX 2060 for like… i dunno $1,300? Maybe cheaper at the right store.

Also… If you just want a PC that will run D3 smooth, but will need you to replace when d4 comes out, I know best buy sells like $700 gaming PCs. The newer tech in those would be leaps and bounds ahead of a PC that came out when windows 7 was a thing.

And the last resort… if money is an issue you could consider going the console route. like a switch can run D3 and you can get the switch lite for $200!!!
I’m considering playing on ps4 / ps5 for Diablo from now on, just because upgrading PCs is too expensive for me right now.
And I’m willing to bet Diablo 4 will not be on switch.

One thing that might help us to help you give us some spec on the computer?

I’m running a i9-9700x 10 cores and I can run the game in windows 7 & 10 with no problems. Plus I don’t change things to get this game to run.

I’m still running this game on windows 7. Yes I have windows 10 on the computer too.

I guarantee you cannot play the game without stutters even on your rig.
My Affinity fix helps everyone achieve smoother gameplay and overall higher and more solid FPS. It doesn’t solve the problem, but greatly reduces some performance problems the D3 game engine suffers from.

D3 has had stutter and FPS issues since beta and the stuttering issues still occur even on an i9 + gtx-2080ti on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

Thanks brother! I’ll try these fixes. I’m hoping to make no major upgrades until D4.

AMD Phenom ll 4x 955 3.2g (quad-core)

GeForce GTX 770

Kingston Memory DDR3 1600 4gb (that’s some old memory)

I can upgrade my memory to 16gb and the CPU to a 6 core @ 4gb with this particular ASRock mb. I’m sure that’ll hold me over until D4, if it is a hardware issue.

I have no stutter and I play it on a 4k TV at 3440x2160.

Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7, i9-7900X 3.30GHz, ADATA XPG Z1 32GB DDR4 2400 Quad, RX-590-8GB, In Win Glacier 900W, Cooler Master HAF 932, 1-240GB SSD sata-3, Win7 Pro, 1-M2-SSD-500gb Win 10 pro 64bit, 40" 4k TV, 2 - 500gb SSD, & 3 - 600gb 10,000 rpm Raptors.

That could be the main problem. You have to be on the edge of running out of memory. If you go to 8gb it would help. But 16gb that would help a lot. Plus till you can get more memory, change your page memory to 4000 to 6000.

One other thing is the video card you are on the border where Diablo might not support it soon.

I have a friend that plays it. He has big lag problems. It is the computer it is really out of date.

Not true at all. Mine is smooth as silk, but a lot of that probably has to do with G-sync and a high refresh monitor.

I have no idea on how to do that. Could you provide me with a little more detail?

4GB is the minimum requirement to 64-bit client. You may want to try 32-bit client. You can find the option in the settings on the launcher.

Or upgrade to 8GB is an option. I’m using 8GB; very smooth. However DDR3 is a very old memory. I don’t think you should invest on it. Use the money to buy a new computer instead.

I don’t think increasing virtual memory (page memory) will improve your gaming experience.

Gaming companies always will put up min & max requirements. A lot of time that is bull crap and just like him he is have problems. To get the game to run right he would have to disabled almost everything running on his computer that uses memory.

DDR3 memory is very old. LOL They really not much of a difference between DDR3 & DDR4. He can get DDR3 really cheap vs waiting to get a new computer.

Do you really know how a computer works. The page memory is there to help when you run out system memory. Plus this game by reports has a memory leak.

1 Like

Here are some things that can help speed up they computers. This is stuff that has been on windows from day one. That you really don’t need running. It is using memory.

1. Right click on My Computer. Then click on properties.

2. Look to the right and click on Advanced System Settings

3. On the Advanced tab in Performance - Click on “settings” Tab

4. Visual Effects - Click on Adjust for best performance.

The only thing in the list you want with a check mark is: “Show Thumbnails instead of Icons”.

You need to leave this one with a check mark. That way when you look at your pictures you see them.

1. Click Apply – It will change to the Classic Windows Desktop and that is OK for now.

2. Don’t exit out of that just yet.

3. Click on the Advanced Tab

4. Virtual Memory – Click on Change Tab.

5. Uncheck Auto Manage page file size - then click on “custom size”

In win7 you set them to 1-1/2 time of system memory. Plus you can set them a little higher too if you want. Something like 5000 / 10000

When done just click OK on everything till you are back at the Desktop

This will help with Page file memory for your computer.

1. Once you are back on the Desktop right click on the screen and click on properties then click on Personalize.

Win7 - Color Scheme: You really need Windows Aero for all the little things to work. Look and click on the Windows 7 Icon under Windows Themes. It will change and you are done.

1. There is another thing you can do to help is go to “run” and type in msconfig click OK. Once in there you will click on startup tab and in there you can turn things off that are using memory and running in the background at startup.

2. On windows 10 you will right on “This PC”. You will do step 1 to 9 once you are done. On windows 10 it doesn’t change your desktop so you are done.

3. Plus if you are running 8gb of memory or higher. You really don’t need to change your Virtual Memory /Page memory.

Plus one other thing you can do to check to see what the computer is using. Is hold down the Ctrl / Alt keys then hit the delete key. Chick on the Task Manager and in there you can check what the computer is using for memory and CPU.

I ordered 16gb of memory. It might be a bit of an overkill, but then again, do plan to dabble with WOLCEN, so I very well may need it. And like you mentioned, it’s a cheap fix.

Thanks for all the tips that you and Metalhead provided, it certainly helped.

I do, pretty much. I watched the birth of Apple ][, and I have been working in programming for 20+ years. I DIY my computer myself.

You really think virtual memory will solve memory leak? :slight_smile:
Also, I was talking about performance, not solving memory leak.

It might and it might not. There are some gaming companies that do try to use that to solve the memory leaks. I have never seen it work. Most everything Ubisoft makes has memory leaks. LOL

I only put that up because some body on another thread said they were getting memory leaks. I told them that I never notice it because I have 32gb of memory.

Plus my first computer was a Commodore VIC-20.

Memory leak is a bug which fail to release unused memory back to the memory pool; taking up more and more memory until out of memory error.

Memory leak is a big issue and need to be fixed in code level.

But I wonder it is at D3 because my 8GB never have memory leak.

Virtual memory uses hard disk to emulate memory; swapping memory in-and-out. Fooling the application(s) that there is more memory than actual (physcial memory). However, swapping memory in/out from/to hard disk is a very slow process. SSD may help, but still have overhead. So, the ultimal solution is adding more physical memory.

You may already know these. I just put it here for other people who don’t understand the technical terms.