Typhon's Veil and Mirror Images

So…

after “enjoying” Mirrorbird for a while, I was wondering whether there would be a way to migrate Mirror Images to a different set and remove the interaction from Firebirds and Mirror Image attacks completely.

Now, as per title of this thread - here’s a little suggestion:

(2) Set:
Double the duration of Hydras and increases the number of heads on multi-headed Hydras by two. Mirror Images last until they die and deal 500% more damage. Pets attack 50% faster.
(4) Set:
Gain 15% movement speed per active Mirror Image. Your damage taken is now split between you and the Mirror Images.
Hydra attacks restore 1% of your Maximum Life per hit. Excess Life refreshes your shields instead.
(6) Set:
Multi-headed Hydras deal 5000% more damage per active Mirror Image. Signature skills deal damage multiplied by your Maximum Arcane Power. When you take fatal damage, a Mirror Image dies instead, restoring up to half your Health and Arcane Power. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.

Typhon’s Pocket Mirror [Maybe as a Set Amulet]
Mirror Images gain the Duplicates rune effect, stay nearby and take 80-90% less damage. Whenever you attack with a Signature skill, so will your Mirror Images.

Take the % figures with a grain of salt. It’s meant as a concept.

EDIT:
Just for Clarification, this set concept is supposed to work with multi-headed Hydras but NOT with Mammoth Hydra. This is intended!

3 Likes

Honestly when they had first revealed the Typhon’s Veil set, I (and some others) had suggested to tie mirror images to the set. After all, it makes sense thematically, 5 hydra heads and 5 wizard bodies; but alas it didn’t happen.

2 Likes

Not only that, Oblivion. When you look at my suggestion, I did three things:

1. making Mirror Images part of the set and the core of it’s mechanic
  2. adding desperately needed mobility to the set
  3. adding signature skills for a more active playstyle.

Reasoning:
Right now you place a Hydra now and then, with your task being spamming useless signature skills and even more useless Blizzards to boost the pet’s damage while evading hits. This kind of bullsh!t makes me puke. It’s clunky awkward and feels really stupid.

So why my suggestion? Because that would make you actually want to cast Signature skills, not because you just use them to buff Hydra but because they are damage dealer and make your Mirror Images do their thing. Since you have to use signature skills, Deathwish is NOT possible. In fact, it would be detrimental to use it. You could buff Hydra attacks with it, but the Images would just idle around and you loose a lot of dps instead.

You can drop Winter Flurry (it’s a weird, clunky, crap item anyways) and use one of the signature skill sources instead (Mykens, Mirrorball)… they should get an update as well, but that’s going to far for this concept proposal. Also I would strongly urge to redesign Winter Flurry… this thing is just an awkward abomination that is NOT fun to use. It ties a completely unrelated skill to the Hydras, in a weird way, just for the sake of using our most useless spender, which is Blizzard.

I honestly believe that such a do-over for Typhons would be good, especially now that Firebird is done for.

3 Likes

Yeah, if the set operated like how you suggested, I would actually play it, rather than letting it collect dust in my stash.

2 Likes

I suspect that the devs might have to increase the life pool and toughness of Mirror Images to go along with your changes to bring them up to the level of WD Gargs and/or Zombie Dogs. One of the new shards lowers the player character damage and buffs pet damage. That shard would go well with your ideas. Nice work.

2 Likes

Well, with my suggestion the Mirror Images will have Duplicates for free, so you can add another rune (e.g. Hard Light) that increases their toughness significantly (in fact times 4), so there’s that. Next thing I would add is that Mirror Images gain their own seperate DR through the amulet. Combined with Enforcer gem (which makes really sense now) and the fact that they also gain shields, it could already be enough. Also keep in mind that Hydra hits would refresh life and shields besides that. It should be beneficial for Mirror Images as well since all damage taken is shared.

But still, you might be right, it might need more. But as I wrote, it’s a concept of how it could work.

2 Likes

Some of these legendary ideas (after some adjustments ofc) could definitely go with your Typhon changes.

Yes… certainly. I deliberately did not add other things apart from my set idea and the new amulet, because this was meant as a build concept. If it would come to pass, then certain items should also get updated as well. This would include the select few outdated items dedicated to signature skills or Mirror Images.

Now, some effects on the items you listed there are included in my set, like letting the images last until they die or the cheat death effect. Taking my set as a base, your items would have to look a bit different. But those are some good ideas nevertheless.

Especially the ring looks similar to something I also had in mind. I would most likely turn the Energy Armor into a passive aura, while applying both runes your mentioned and then have the character gain DR based on a percentage of the total CritChance - with pets inside this aura gaining some effect or bonus as well… like being harder to kill or cc immune or whatever. Would have to think a little more about that.

1 Like

Lol damn you just turned Typhon’s into the ‘why bother with anything else?’ set :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t get me wrong, Typhon’s never really got a chance to be The set so I like it , much like Tal Rasha never was the set (meta from dual sets only).

I always thought Typhon’s should be our #1 solo set by a good margin, this concept with the signature spells activated by mirror images while also buffing defenses and regen simultaneously would ensure that.

Hell if it comes with a DMO buff so that could dominate group play, signed!

1 Like

You’re welcome…

yes, it’s basically an “all you can eat” buffet in some regards, but I guess it needs fine tuning here and there. Like Hydra items would need to be buffed a bit if this kind of mechanic is introduced - going for efficiency would likely make you ditch Winter Flurry (which is a bad item no matter how you look at it, even for Wizard standards and it should be reworked!) in favor of Mirror Ball or Mykens. Depends on what you would end up using as your Signature Skill, though…
Also interesting to note, that Spectral Blades has no source, that’s good as well in this scenario - Blades might be strong enough on it’s own compared to the other signatures, as shown with Mirrorbirds, so you could use that skill when you want to go more the Hydra part of my Typhons, which should also be possible. For example, a fitting item could make Hydras focus on enemies hit by Signature skills for some time and, while focussed, have projectiles pierce. Or maybe, if we look at Lightning Hydra it could make the arc cascade and release a bunch of Shock Pulse bolts on each enemy hit. There’s room for a lot of interesting mechanics, once you think about it. Did I mention that Shock Pulse is one of our skills that doesn’t even have a single dedicated item? Not even an old and outdated one, let alone a source? God, the possibilities are endless…

But I fear this topic will go unnoticed, just like many of the good ideas I saw here through the years.

1 Like

What if MIs cast hydras and sigature spells when you do?

Hm

Okay, if I got you right, that means you want your pets (Mirror Image) to have pets (well, lets call them Mirror Hydra) for themselves? Depending on how this would be implemented, the result can by anything between being utterly broken or detrimental.

Let’s say MI could mirror you and you have Sparker active. So that’s you and four Images casting up to 10 Hydras, if there is no cap. Holy mother… or they can cast a Hydra each, that’s still 6 in total. So I guess they would need to place a cap on total Hydras spawned. Two for you, two for the images, then? Or whatever… as long as your Hydra doesn’t get despawned once a Mirror Image casts their Hydra and the cap is exceeded. The Mirror Images are still around, I’d be worried about performance… add a lot of Hydras at the same time and it might toast the servers.

You’re over thinking this grately. Tho I could’ve been more specific.

I thought a little about my concept and Winter Flurry. Thing is, that item is pretty chaotic in it’s current state. We have a connection between Frost Nova (which is legacy), Hydra and Blizzard… while thematically Blizzard makes sense, Hydra does not. On the other hand Magistrate makes Hydras cast Frost Nova, so there’s that. But combined? And in connection with Fragment of Destiny? Hell no, that’s just forcing an awkward playstyle and looks pretty disjointed and it feels clunky.

My idea would be to preserve the Frost Nova theme of Winter Flurry while dropping the Blizzard part. Why you ask? Because the Magistrate has to be taken in account. There’s already a link between Hydra and Frost Nova so why not expand that one instead of making things overly complicated by adding more skills to the picture. So here’s my suggestion for this:

Winter Flurry
+Min/Max Damage
[Cold] skills deal [15 - 20]% more damage [can be rerolled]
+INT
+3 random magic properties (2 primary, 1 secondary)

Legendary power:
Frost Nova gains the Shatter and Cold Snap runes. The area of effect is doubled and enemies hit by Frost Nova take 125-150% more damage from your cold skills or pets for N seconds.

Oh, have I mentioned that the Magistrate should make Hydras cast YOUR Frost Nova? Still isn’t so, which is anti-synergetic. And good item synergies is what we should ask for.