Twister bracer feedback and advice needed

I have 2 types of ashnagarr to choose from. both have 20 arcane and 6 % crit and 100 potency. But 1 has 650 int, 130 resist all and 7% melee reduction. the other is 557 int and 600 vit. My question is the 600 vit worth more than the 130 resist and 7% melee reduction?

Intelligence based heroes (Necromancer, Witch Doctor and Wizard) have a naturally high Resist All value, because they inherit this from their main stat, i.e. INT/10 = Resist All. So, if you have 20,000 INT, you have 2,000 Resist All (plus whatever resistances from items you have). This means INT based heroes get more benefit from Armour for mitigation as it’s a stat they don’t naturally have (as Armour is derived from Strength or Dexterity). For an INT based hero, VIT is more useful than All Resist for mitigation.

To be sure, I’d suggest you import your hero into https://maxroll.gg/d3planner and compare your Toughness / Recovery values between the two item variants.

i didn’t know that the calculator factored in the melee reduction into toughness calculations. it looks like the Vit bracers trump the All resist on toughness by 2.87% but lost on recovery is down by 6.64%

Yep. It’s also reflected for your in-game toughness. It averages it somehow with (melee, ranged, elite) reduction but I can’t remember exactly how the average is calculated.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the lost recovery. That generally happens when you replace a non-vit toughness stat (e.g. all res, armor) with vit. But for wizards, your shields scale with your vit too, so the lost recovery doesn’t matter. The “recovery” stat only reflects your recovery via things like life on hit and life regen. It doesn’t reflect your shield recovery (e.g. Magic Weapon: Deflection), which is another form of life sustain in a sense.

So you can pretty much just ignore the recovery stat for a wizard with shielding, because your shield recovery (MW: Deflection) actually scales proportionally with your max toughness, not with the “recovery” stat. So unless your shields are broken and you want to recovery HP via life on hit or something, just ignore recovery. But that shouldn’t happen too often. On a wizard with shields, the toughness stat is more important than the recovery stat.

2 Likes

Lots of useful info on recovery and toughness. Thanks heaps!