Triune circles and builds that rely on Life Per <Resource> Spent

So, on the PTR I’ve been playing an IK/HotA Barbarian.

In that build, some of the sustain / recovery comes from your mighty belt having the “Life Per Fury Spent” affix on it. In order to maximise the healing received from HotA (which is our Fury spender) we specifically do not spend the 50 paragon points in “Reduced Resource Costs”. We want the initial HotA cost to be as high as possible, as that returns more health to us. (The cube’d Gavel means we don’t actually run out of Fury as it gives us the fury back).

This is where the Triune buff comes in. One of the circles gives a Resource Cost Reduction when stood in it. That means if the RCR circle drops on the Barb, it also reduces their self-generated healing. This isn’t something we can choose to benefit from or ignore like a free RoRG or LoN, this is something that’s rolling the dice and seeing if we get unlucky our Barbarian might die due to having their healing reduced.

I can foresee some annoyed softcore players, and some extremely upset hardcore players that lose their heroes because of this.

3 Likes

Crusaders have a similar passive. I can’t say that I rely on it that much (not that the level I play at), but it could be an issue.

I wonder why they just can’t be combined into a single buff. Then barbs would still gain the damage bonus and cool-down reduction, even if they lose some of the life.

And, as another thread suggests, make that an orb that buffs.

I would look at it like this:

For builds where the Dark Blue circles negate your healing, just avoid them. Look at it like any other elite affix like Frozen, Poison, Arcane, etc, and just move off of it.

1 Like

Lol, season buff is treated as an elite monster affix! Next season random arcane beams and molten explosions will appear with a 50-50 chance to heal you or kill you!

2 Likes

Speed Pylons are detrimental to some builds. I look at it in the same way.

Do channeling Pylons not affect the healing aspects of the “Life Per Fury Spent” affix on the belt?

1 Like

And if that’s the case, you can choose not to click on them. There’s no way for a hero to choose not to have Triune circles drop on top of them. It’s ludicrous that something’s that supposed to be beneficial becomes yet another negative ground effect the hero needs to get out of.

If unchanged, this will kill some HC Barbs.

Just hope they don’t change it to an aura like it should be.
Also seasonal themes are meant to shake up the builds you play. If a build isn’t helped by the theme don’t play it, if you play it, deal with it.
This is the way it’s always been. Just because last season was LoN doesn’t mean you HAD to only play LoN builds.

Stand in another circle? Don’t stand in the RRC circle?

I disagree with Merlin. Not all season themes need to ‘shake up the builds’ and the circles on the ground are too limiting. It would almost exclude melee classes from the season buff and that’s taking it too far.
Needs to be more balanced, like globes to be picked up and applied to the individual not the group. At least melee builds would get a bit more use out of the buff. A season theme shouldn’t favour one class over another or one type of build over others.
Of course only themes like the boon of the hoarder or double bounty cache will be completely unbiased and totally equal and fair. But the current execution of the theme is far too unbalanced.
However I do like the three types of buffs. Damage increases is beneficial to all and the other two are beneficial to most. All builds can benefit from at least two of these.

1 Like

Except that doesn’t work in groups. One player clicks a Pylon and everybody is affected.

1 Like

That’s the whole point. In seasons 16 and 17 I could choose whether to benefit from the season theme or not. In Season 16, I didn’t have to make use of a build that benefitted from a free RoRG. In Season 17, I didn’t have to make use of a build that benefitted from a free LoN buff. How do I choose whether to make use of the Triune buff or not? The Season 18 theme is unavoidable. It’s not a choice. It’s not something you can decide to not take or turn off. It’s a seasonal theme which is detrimental to some builds with no ability to not select it.

In which case you could choose to play solo.