Too many wallers

Hi there, I have been playing d3 for a couple seasons, and now im pushing GR 150 solo using monk’s justice valor set/tempest rush build. I have cleared GR142 by using the season buff strat. Now while I have tried alomst 500 keys and I’m still stuck at GR 150.

The main issue is that there are just too many wallers. Too many times I got a good map and good mob set, and as I drag them along and building up a big pile, ready to trigger the season buff, the wallers come in. The rate of the waller affix that appear on elits seems out of porportion. As for my own experience, for each map level that is possible to spwan 4+ elite groups, at least 2 of them have waller affix. And it is not rare to find 2-3 wallers in a row, which is a nightmare due to the big pile of mobs, other damage affixes, and a lot of damage spells cast by them.

People might say its RNG because the elite affix should be random, dpesite some affixes always present or not present on one elite group. But 500 keys experience showed that, at least for me IT IS happening too often. I am writing this post because I have just had another waller fest, with 2 gold wallers and one blue wallers(group of 3 blues), in addition to that is two of those elites have teleport.

That was a really frustrating key, the map was good and trash mobs were good too, and it was all failed by wallers. I made a video at a time when I was trying to push but encountered 4 wallers in a row. I was so mad that I saved the clip and made the video. If anyone reading this post wants to watch the video, I can upload it to youtube.

Last but not the least, please tell me the wallers spwan rate is not “design as intented”, or tell me that Im just having a really bad RNG that 4 wallers in a row is everyday experience.

p.s. I am a Chinese player and i dont currently have an d3 on US region, and I know it won’t help posting somewhere else other than the Blizzard offical forum. Sorry for applying an trial version and post in the new player help block.

I agree Wallers are annoying. Sounds like your Monk build may not be best suited for a waller heavy fight and just need to break it down to smaller groups rather than drag a big pile together on a waller heavy map. I am not very familiar with playing a Monk so i cant speak specifically to your build. Sounds like you have some type of nuke spell that can clear the whole screen in one shot. Nice ability when you can use it. Sounds kinda over powered to me.

I only been playing a month so the only real help i can give is that if something isnt working change your tactics and find something that does. There are some very helpful veterans here that will be able to give you specific advice with Monks and wallers.

Good luck

1 Like

Shadow, you are wearing Shadow Mantle gear on your seasonal DH. Read the 2 piece bonus. That bow isn’t doing you any good. Get a Karlei’s Point dagger and a Holy Point Shot quiver to buff your Impale.

Thanks Nefertiri. I have Karlei’s dagger. I was doing inventory maintenance must have left the bow equipped when i signed out. Now if i can just get 2 more pieces of the armor. 75,000% damage to the first enemy hit HOLY COW!!

So what does “first enemy hit” mean? First enemy today? this week? this minute? what is the time frame that defines a new first enemy?

I didnt know about the quiver, thank you

My monk suffers the same…little pops will benefit you or the Kulle potion (which doesn’t work all the time). Or just keep your stack up going against the wall orrrr manuver around it unfortunately

The Overpenetration rune on Impale pierces through enemies. First one hit gets the 75,000% dmg, but not the ones it hits after that.

If you go with another rune that doesn’t penetrate it will still do the 75,000 to the ones it hits.

1 Like

that makes sense, thank you very much.

You’re welcome. Always happy to help newer players.

I did not know it worked this way. Thanks for clarifying.  

So, if I understand you correctly, it’s the first one hit per projectile. Not the first one hit per group of monsters or per time limit. (No wonder the Shadow Impale build is so powerful. — I may have to give this one another try.   )

As far as my understanding of it, yes. If you hit just one with a projectile it still takes the 75,000. If there are, say two in a line, using Overpenetration rune, the first one hits gets the 75,000% the second one just gets the 6000% from the 2 piece bonus. And of course, if using Holy Point Shot quiver that throws two additional Impales…yeah, it tears mobs up. That’s why Impale DH need to be a bit tankier than other builds - they do better when in middle of mobs vs. shooting from a distance.

You are correct, but if you have Holy Point Shot, the 75000 applies to the first hit from each of the 3 daggers, so you want to be as close as possible to your enemy so all 3 hit the same target. This isn’t always possible in mobs, but essential for the rift guardian. Overpenetration can be difficult to use at first since it requires better aim. You can use Ricochet which you can be more careless with if you get hatred starved, but you’ll have to make sure you’re using gear with the proper elemental damage for each of the runes. Overpenetration = cold. Ricochet = lightning.

In short this monk build is to channel tempest rush and building up close to 100 stacks and trigger it in the mobs. You can say its a nuke damage in a GR 120 or so, but when it comes to GR 150 the damage can only take out roughly 1/3 of the smallest trash’s hp bar. So the strategy is to pull a really big pile of mobs, around 100+ trash with elites, and try kill the smallest trash and build up to the first 15 stacks of season buff, and the season buff will kill other mobs and your stack builds up. As your stacks goes up at 30, 50, 100 you continue to tigger season buffs and kill mobs. Its like a chain reaction and you do the same with 200, 300, and 400. The final around you need almost 120+ mobs and at least 2-3 elites, depending how close you are to the 400 stacks, kill mobs and trigger the 400 meteor, kill the pile and the elite groups to summon the angels, pick up elite orbs just right to summon the boss, and the angels will kill the boss in 10 secs.

This is an extremly risky strategy and probably the only way you are able to solo clear GR 150 this season. It’s already heavily RNG based which requires two consective big maps with right mob sets and enough progress value. The electric pylon needs to spwan at the right time to help you get through the 100 stacks gap inbetween season buffs. Last when the angels spwan you pray for them not to drop at the remaining ground aoe which instantly kill them, and when the boss spwans it needs to be certain bosses with little to no aoe abilities.

That’s all the stratey is about and it’s 0 tolerance to mistakes. I have been trying 50-100 keys just to get one meaningful attempt but the wallers destory all of it. The whole thing is a big gamble, and from what I described about the strat you know there’s no other way around than building up a really big pile.

I know. Been playing Impale for quite a while.

1 Like

Yes im wearing the Kulle potion but it doesnt help when there are 5-blue-wallers or 2+ waller elites, the walls come just too frequent. I can dodge aoe and building up stacks but wallers hurdle the grouping of mobs too. It often takes too much time to drag trash along the way when wallers are among them, and that often causes me way behind the timer.

Fair enough. Can’t be too sure.