To D2:R devs – Suggestions to harmonize the wishes of today’s and future D2 players >> Please consider / support!

Dear D2:R dev team,

D2:R is everything the D2 community wished for, but the needs of both “new” and “old” (i.e. still active) players should be borne in mind equally in order to make D2:R a great experience for everyone.

There are ways to bring D2:R to a new audience and simultaneously show veteran players that their 20 years’ efforts were not in vain.

►►► Update: A short clarification due to some misunderstandings in the discussion ◄◄◄
In simple words, the whole thread could be summarized as follows:
"Please give us ANY option to play “old D2 closed battlenet characters” in new D2:R graphics, at least offline in D2:R singleplayer" => Export of save files required
(or on any other isolated D2:R realm, thus not in conflict with new players’ fresh/clean start of D2:R)

For detailled information, how this could be executed, please read on!

1. A fresh start for all new players on modern battlenet

2. No bots/dupes/hacks from “old D2” contaminating their D2:R experience

3. An option for today’s D2 closed battlenet characters to continue their journey in D2:R graphics without violating point 1) and 2).

These points have to be harmonized and I want to show that this is possible!

Option A)The Retirement Home”

Moving/converting today’s closed battlenet characters to a separate D2:R server, with no connection of any kind to the rest of the new D2:R universe (i.e. no trading, not even access to the same games).

[Identification or unambiguous assignment to BattleTags could be achieved by using the e-mail address attached to your BattleTag and comparing it with the e-mail address deposited “in-game old D2”, originally used for password recovery purposes]

Option B) “Local Heroes”

Exporting/transfering today’s D2 closed battlenet characters to D2:R singleplayer, with no access to D2:R closed battlenet.

[e.g. by sending the exports to the e-mail address deposited “in-game old D2”, originally used for password recovery purposes. Alternatively, there could be a browser-login, where players can find and download their character saves, simply by entering their D2 in-game Account/Password]

Ideally, there might also be a multiplayer option for D2:R singleplayer characters again, similar to today’s “D2 Open battlenet”.

Note:
In order for Option B) to work, Ladder Runewords need to be enabled for D2:R singleplayer, as they also are part of “old D2” closed battlenet.
This would be a logical step anyway, as Ladder Uniques are available in singleplayer mode, too (and the reactions to the BlizzCon Q&A show, that the majority of players would like to see Ladder Runewords in D2:R singleplayer)

Please keep in mind, that closed battlenet players spent years and thousands of hours improving their characters and that’s the one important thing that hasn’t been addressed in D2:R so far and really should be solved.

Many veterans will rather skip D2:R with a heavy heart or quit, than lose everything.
There’s probably many players on the realms, who are still of two minds about D2:R, only waiting for this single feature to be confirmed, so they can place their order without worries.
All they want is to play their cherished characters in shiny D2:R!
There simply has to be an option for them.

Hopefully, it has become clear, that this request isn’t contradictory to a “fair and fresh start”, if well executed.

You’ve come so far and everything revealed about D2:R until now, aside from this one missing feature, is absolutely mind-blowing.
This is so important for us, so please make sure, that the release of D2:R will be a great day for everyone, both “old” and “new” players.

Please give this matter a careful in-depth consideration.

Thank you for your time and attention!

6 Likes

100% agreeing with this sentiment!

The BattleNet oldtimers who carried the torch for the past 20 years and kept the flame of D2 alive all this time are the reason there is even a D2:R right now.

There should be a way to honor their decades-long dedication and their thousands of hours of playtime poured into this game.

Do not just cast aside their efforts and give them a nice closed of single player corner far away from the rest of the population where they can live out their well deserved retirement.

4 Likes

Agree.

I think seasons are there to satisfy the need for a “fresh start”.

Blizz needs to give us long time players the ability to port our accounts over to D2:R.

“Retirement home” isn’t a bad idea, but new D2:R players should be able to join that server as well. However, for those concerned about the new servers being contaminated with items that were shopped seems like a moot point because all of those items will come back into circulation anyway. So long as there are no illegal items, so what?

So many of us older/20-year players don’t have the time to grind like we once could and many of D2’s interesting builds demand very specific and incredibly rare items. If Blizz does a fresh start and old Battle.net accounts are not allowed to port over, there will be much less build diversity in the community for a very long time.

Perhaps to reduce the bot/shop accounts from being ported over, Blizz could do something like limiting the number of accounts that can be associated with a given CD key or email recovery account. I have 5 accounts that are connected to 2 CD keys and 2 recovery emails. Even if Blizz limited it to one account, I could live with that.

2 Likes

I can understand the fear of nonladder players who have accumulated whatever over the course of nearly 2 decades of playing, however, only blizzard knows how many of those people really exist.
and why should they care? for pvp and the likes, they simply remove a lot of “imbalance” by not allowing a transfer of items from “d2 to d2r” no 1,09 or 1,08 etc items around offering a fresh start for everybody, a level playing field in nonladder, especially for the PVP community.

otherwise you will simply create an elitist niche subset in a small audience unachievable by others.

new ladders will put items back into nonladder circulation.

for the d2 Sp players, who f.e. use plugy and the likes, it will only be a nuisance converting their characters over to d2r (and thus items) but then again, they do not interact with other players online.
or they will simply say: is only a graphics update but does not offer the features I am used to (dozens of pages of increased stash f.e.) and thus is not worth getting. (I mean let’s be honest, we’ve been playing on low resolution 20 year old graphics for how many years now, does anybody really think the people who are playing diablo2 today view a graphics update as somehow integral to the playing experience?

1 Like

Tldr: Help me save my duped runewords

5 Likes

You can play Diablo 2 still - the license for that vs Diablo 2:R are going to be separate.

And no, i’d much rather have a fresh start on this. If you want to play with all the legacy stuff diablo 2 is waiting there for you.

1 Like

reading the initial post / suggestions: no
false accusations: check

Of course I can only speak for myself, but in 20 years of D2, I never used any third party programs.
Actually I don’t even trade and that’s the reason, why I’m still playing the game, because there’s always one character, waiting for this one special item, I haven’t found yet.
And there are other legit players out there on the realms, hoping for an option to see their characters in shiny D2:R, even if it’s D2:R singleplayer.

I can’t see, why anybody could have a problem with them being able to export their realm characters to D2:R singleplayer (“Option B”), they’d have no access to D2:R closed battlenet! No harm to anyone!

And even if some hackers/dupers out there would be able to export their crap to singleplayer, who cares?
Their items are absolutely worthless in singleplayer!

So please read the initial post first.

I’m aware that “old D2” will still exist, but of course we want to see our chars in “new D2:R look”.
The problem is as simple as that:
Twenty years ago every legit player had to make the decision, whether to start out in singleplayer or closed battlenet (many of them chose to start out in closed battlenet, because there were even more hacks/dupes in open battlenet.)
Now with D2:R coming out, the “singleplayers” will be able to continue their journey in D2:R (I support this), while the “realmplayers” can only choose whether to lose everything they achieved or to stay in “old D2”.
Only because of a (quiet comprehensible) decision they made 20 years ago!
So why not let them convert to D2:R singleplayer, too?

You’d have! I hope this has become clear.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but given the huge amount of botted and duped loot floating around D2/LOD Bnet, Blizzard would have to have rocks in their heads to let people carry over such characters into D2:R.

For a couple of bucks you can go and get fully kitted out characters, already leveled, quested and with all their stats/skills ready for re-assignment with as much godly gear as they can carry - why on Earth would you let that into D2:R?

1 Like

and if you just want a “equipped char” yawn…
get an editor for single player, set up the char and then import it

I’m not saying that’s what I’d do, but I am saying that is exactly what some people will definitely do.

Why would you pollute D2:R’s closed BNet community with characters from D2/LOD which will, as plain as day, include at least some that were botted, hacked and/or duped?

If D2:R is going to be (at least) harder to cheat than D2/LOD is, surely you’d quarantine it.

For the same reason, today’s singleplayer characters will be in D2:R, there’d be no difference!
All I ask for is an option to bring today’s characters (singleplayer and closed battlenet) to D2:R singleplayer.

The use of third party programs is not an option.

Again, that’s not what I asked for! Obviously you didn’t read the initial post.

2 Likes

Diablo II Resurrected Will Let You Import Original Diablo II Save Files (ign.com)

Your wish already seems to be granted. This has been reported in multiple sites based on Blizzard’s comments.

Unfortunately not, because my characters are in closed battle.net, i.e. I don’t have the save files
(only Blizzard has) :frowning:

I already had this info, that’s exactly what the whole discussion is about:
The transfer from D2 singleplayer to D2:R singleplayer is confirmed by Blizzard (and I support this), so please give D2 realmplayers an option to transfer to D2:R singleplayer, too!

But thanks for your help to clarify the problem.

1 Like

Sorry about my confusion.

No problem!
According to the comments, many seem to confuse things here.
Hope, this helped to understand the realmplayers’ dilemma.

you mean the tough luck, blizzard should not take in loads of tainted chars?

and I am playing SP, what I do on my computer that does affect nobody else, is my own business.

1 Like

Why don’t you understand, you already give the answer in your own comment!
Let’s assume, Blizzard provided an option, to transfer D2 closed battlenet characters to D2:R singleplayer:
The result would affect nobody else!
(Legit players would be happy to continue their journey in D2:R graphics, while dupers/hackers would be left with their crap being completely worthless in singleplayer)

1 Like

and why should they accomodate them

the “legit players” can restore their item stock through playtime
and the rest is tainted bullcrap not worth covering
or the fact that the vast majority of those players would be bringing in tainted stock that would then need to be specifficcally catered to

why bother?

They also do for current D2 singleplayer characters, so for me it’s a matter of fairness.

When will you grasp, we’re talking about transfering D2 realmcharacters to D2:R SINGLEPLAYER here?
There’s nothing to be catered to! It’ll be singleplayer! No contact to and no trading with realmplayers!
(Btw: Why would hackers/dupers want their characters transfered to D2:R singleplayer in the first place? They can’t make any profit in singleplayer! And even if some brought their tainted stock, they will still have no access to D2:R closed battlenet and no contact to anyone, so where is the problem?)

Why not help today’s legit D2 realmplayers (even if they were the minority) experience D2:R with their existing characters, when there’s absolutely no drawback/harm/damage/disadvantage to anyone?

Why do you bother although you’re not affected in any possible way?

I just don’t get it, it’s much like a discussion about a theme park being built in a small town 5000 miles away from your home, you’ll never visit. Would you intervene? Just let them have it!

1 Like

I am an oldtimer who is hoping for new gaming experiences with DII:R

Both Blizzard and numerous content creators have shared that the legacy games will continue on their own and thoroughly separate from DII:R. Thank goodness. Anyone who has invested a lot of time will continue to have fun in supported legacy games and the servers which are hosts to these.

Even for single player, grab hold of the challenges and unique experiences of DII:R. It will be such an addictive and fun journey.

DII:R is a clean slate for both seasoned players and for a new generation of gamers. Start fresh, find communities of players who will build and explore with you, and remember to have fun.

I cannot wait to play!

:alien: :dolphin:

2 Likes