Time to voice my opinion or why I refunded D2R

Well since you were (in my opinion) condescending, dismissive and immature, I am sorry in advance for some of my tone.

Making assumptions about people you do not know is not a very smart thing to do.
Yes, waste your playtime in channels waiting for a trade instead of playing!!! Or use magical game name to trade fast!!! So hardcore, yes, only smart people can do it go play D3 h4h4h4h4h4!

Toxic mentality. Read my post, Shared loot does not reward skill - it rewards lower latency and use of hacks such as pick-it. Again, click click click on a boss so smart and hardcore and wow my mother said I am special because I can do it in D2!
All it does is give incentive for people to go private games and running meta builds (sorc/hammerdin). Killing multiplayer aspect of the game, killing build diversity.

If it was fine, they wouldn’t have added those larger spaces. More is welcome, especially with 20 character limits, especially for shared stash.

Yeah… That’s being toxic.
It’s toxic griefing, but is expected since most “purists” are toxic from my experience.

Did you see the posts by “purists”? It seems accurate representation of how toxic those people stuck in 2000 are.

… Here we go again!

I recommend you play D2 2000 and ask Blizzard for 1.15, change bad!

1 Like

well some people just cannot agree to disagree.

i think for some of the changes, the original devs and VV are different teams. there might be sync issue for the new team to make changes which might affect overall functionality.

1. i guess u are talking more on POE kind of playstyle, trading stash tab where people can pm u to do a trade. dont think its possible because the original plan of VV was a simple remaster without much changes. an additional of auction house/trade stash tab will change the mechanics of the game too much. might affect the launch date. alternative i could think of it to name the game “looking for Enigma 1” and then go on to do MF in the game etc. after that create another game “looking for Enigma 2”

2. i would lean more against ploot, considering it will change the economics of trade. then theres a background mechanics to it. how will ploot drop? if there are 2 players in the game, all drops will be x2? what is the 2nd player is AFK in town only? otherwise, how many screens apart from each player before x2 loot will activate?

3. for the additional charm only inventories, i would like to have it. its a great deal of convenience instead of running to town each time. but seems unlikely that we will see it. not really a dealbreaker though. think most of us accept that mules will still always be part of the game esp for hoarders.

4. think currently they have changed the mechanics in the BETA. if u hostile someone, you cant access the waypoints or TP for a few seconds, the other player has time to go back to town. furthermore, if the player doesnt want to go hostile, they can instantly party u back. then the cycle begins. seems there is no way to reject a party invite. at least thats what i experienced during the BETA. but i stand corrected

5. for the classes it may offer a more different type of playstyle. i normally run with the sorc for MF, PVM, PVP etc. but i enjoy the necro for PVM as well. brings variety. ive seen some sins, barbs and druids owning PVP as well. PVM clearstyles may be different, but its a pros and cons for each character and brings out a uniqueness for each class. its different from D3 where somehow every character has a “teleport” ability. and a large AOE ability.

6. hope we can hear from news on the DClone event trigger. assuming we wont have bots then selling SOJs might be a problem. can MF for days in D2 and not find 1 SOJ.

7. agreed, hope that we can have more lv85 areas to farm instead of the normal pits/AT etc. a change of environment would be nice

8. haha u can farm for the pieces and do the ubers.

What happens if you want to do multiple trades, searching for and selling multiple items concurrently? I get what you are saying and I sure hope VV considers AH. It’s actually more perfect for console players too.

All legitimate concerns here.

Same as in original D2, was to prevent Hardcore PKing. The auto partying was not there, but it actually does worse - it can show the PKer your location(s).

It’s not the point because ubers are more boring than difficult (life tap smiter/melee), and they don’t give good exp or loot other than the charm.

i see your point, but i guess for now its just going to be a wishlist. alternatives i guess would be forums and discord.

ive tried in the BETA to hostile the party. when u hostile from town u are unable to accept wp or TP for about 3-5seconds, so the party can party u back. and u have to hostile again. so if u keep doing that u ruin the game for the party and yourself. a) your stuck in town, b) the party have to keep inviting u to party (which u cannot decline). exposing the locations is not much a problem as u cant accept the WP or TP for 3-5seconds after u hostile again. least thats what happened for me in the beta. not sure if its intended and will be in the final release.

yup, fair enough. so for 8 players exp would probably be best in cow level, each player takes a part of the map and keep your own loot. MF in solo games and keep own loot. otherwise run with friends and share the loot

for me ill just enjoy the game and new graphics, since ladder only runewords can work in ladder now, no need to rush to make runewords during seasons. its still a great game esp if ur a diablo fan from the OG. see u on sept 23 if u change your mind :wink:

Dude, i’m not gonna try and change your opinion about what you want the game to be, cause i know we like different things, but you are comparing a game that released 21 years ago and saying that it sold way less than d3 or cyberpunk.

You know that pcs and games are like 1000 more accessible and way more popular than they were 20 years ago. Not to mention everyone and their grandmas have an internet connection nowadays. Also, advertising through the internet and hyping up games etc. etc. is something that is also 1000 times more impactful nowadays than it was 20 years ago.

I could go on, but hopefully you can see my point.

1 Like

You do indeed make logical points, but let’s not forget:
A. People claim it’s been “greatest ARPG ever, going great 20+ years”, so has lifetime sales of 20+ years. Why did no one pick it up after trying Diablo III and want a “better game” for instance?
B. Check the list of top selling PC games. StarCraft is 1998, Half-Life 2 is 2004, WoW is 2004, Myst is 1993 (!!!), all have outsold Diablo II by far. Just few examples by the way, there are much more. It sold not as good as other Blizzard products even by 2000 standards, even considering most people buy 4+ copies.

A. It is the greatest ARPG ever and it is the reason it made ARPGs as popular as they are today. And this is coming from someone that loves PoE…

B. This time you are comparing D2 to different genres that have always been way more popular.

You can understand the popularity of the genre by checking how many players PoE has. It has been the best and most popular ARPG for years and it peaks at 100k users on steamcharts. while a game like CS or Dota2 peak at over 1million.

Does not make sense, so what is the first fighting, platformer, puzzle games that made their genre “popular”? Are they also the greatest because they were the first?
Why not use the same logic that the Internet and marketing gave Diablo II the momentum?

Well, why was it has been less popular if it was so great? It sold less, had less sells… So what else can I do to prove my point?!
If it is so flawless and has no design flaws, why did it not sell more copies in 20+ years, now that ARPG are “more popular”?
The Sims (2000) for instance sold 11 million, is it also because the genre was more popular? It created a new genre, popularity of a genre is a measure of fail/success. :slightly_smiling_face:

A.I am not really sure as i don’t really play those genres. I am guessing street fighter for fighting games, back when arcade games were a thing? I am pretty sure there are flagship games for every gaming genre, like WoW for mmos, or dota for mobas etc. 21 years ago the internet was nowhere near accessible as it is now and marketing wasn’t up to the standards that it is today either. Today you don’t even have to try too much to advertise your game , people will just watch their favourite streamers or youtubers play a game and get hyped. We all know that Blizzard have become the masters at hyping people up anyway + they also get the extras from twitch/youtube etc… Its on a whole different level now compared to back then.

B.I don’t know, why is basketball less popular than football? Because some genres are just more popular.
It’s not flawless, no game ever is. Every game can be improved. We just have different opinions on what should be improved based on our preferences. I don’t want to get into that though.
Yea obviously the Sims was more popular for some reason, even though i never liked it. My guess is that it was catered towards a wider variety of people. I can see a lot of women or older people playing that genre instead of a game like Diablo for example.

It depends on how you measure success. D3 was a major success saleswise, but for the majority of players it wasn’t a “good” game. Noone is playing D3 anymore for a reason, even though it sold 10+m copies. The remaining ARPG playerbase is mostly playing PoE instead.

Fair enough points, agree to disagree I guess.

Any source on that? The D2 Purists if anything are the vast minority, I would say 5% of the 4 million sold (skewed figure because again, most people bought 4+ keysets), and they are mostly the ones who say D3 is not a good game because change bad.

For a game that sold over 10m copies it sure has a superlow playerbase. Last time i played D3 was 2 years ago on season release(which is on a weekend too) and i could barely find any public games.

There is no easy way to actually get a number on the playerbase since there is nothing similar to steamcharts. The closest you can get to something like steamcharts is checking twitchviews during season launch im guessing.

As for me the reasoning for D3 being a "bad " game (for me),is because of personal loot and the devalue of most of the items. I played during season launch and i was fully geared and doing greater rifts 100+ by sunday. I basically did accomplish everything i wanted in the span of a weekend playing solo 90% of the time.

So many people have it wrong…I guess you did not spend much time on D3.

In D3, and I agree it’s probably where I like way less D3 than D2, they nullified the gear grinding aspect of the game.
They introduced so OP gear (like 50,000% damage) that they had to introduce incredible difficulties like T16 and GR100+…that eventually become very easy.
As a consequence, we got tons of uniques and items every few minutes (GR or rifts).

D3 is not about gear…At all.
It’s a big mistake to think because of shared or personal loot. You drop so many items in D3, whatever the loot system, that after 48h you have all the gear.

The equivalent for gear of D2 in D3 is the XP/Parangon.
In D2 you get powerful (like PoE and Grim Dawn) with the gear, not the levels (once we are all 90+)
In D3 you get powerful with the parangons. Everyone has +/- the same gear.

I can say that because I’ve spend thousands of hours in both games.
I largely prefer D2…but shared or personal, the loot system would not change much:

• There will not be more items drops
  • we will still never find Griswold armor :slight_smile:
  • provided we found a very rare item, it will have the same value whatever the loot system.

The price of something depends only on the demand and the rarity of the item.
The demand will still be the same, the rarity too (personal loot does not change at all the rarity or quantity of items)…so the prices will be the same!

The only difference is, with personal loot, every one has a piece of the cake.
With shared loot, the bully eats it all OR keep it for selling it.

I really that some people on this forum think they are the majority while they are peanuts compared to what Blizzard could sell to new players and new generation.
And yes I’ve bought like 3 ou 4 copies myself of D2 :slight_smile:

And as a “supporter” of the D2R initiative, I’ve paid the premium package with D3 included…where as I already have D3.

What I wanted to say.

D3 items being considered “bad” is not because of personal loot. It’s itemization, it’s lack of trade. And, in my opinion, it’s people thinking they are playing D2.

D3 did have a lot, and I mean a lot of positive changes. That’s just a fact. To deny this is just to be so close minded and against change because “change bad”.

Personal loot won’t suddenly turn D2 into D3. It does not change drop rates, it does not nullify trading. If anything, it is incentive for people to play public with each other more, and could introduce “team dungeons”.

Shared loot has nothing to do with the game “not holding your hands” as it requires no skills at all, and it certainly does not add any fun or excitement at all, especially for all those pickit scripts (shared loot also benefits bots more than personal loot).

Most people who are against personal loot are the same toxic griefing selfish people who are against consensual PvP, who would have thought.
This isn’t 2000s. You can’t just abuse your anonymous status and go wild griefing poor strangers on the Internet, sorry - but do consider therapy! (Message to griefers/trolls).

1 Like

This is really an achievement - my personal top 3 of the worst threads I’ve seen here on D2R forums and there were many dumb ones. But you really take the gold medal in this category.

You keep using the word "We " in your argument’s instead of " I " because I for sure do not agree with you as do a heck of a lot of others.

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

1 Like

Byeee, have a great time.

Just leave lol. Leave a masterpiece alone. It’s perfect how it is. And works how it once did.

Too bad the majority agrees as seen by posts rate in here and Reddit and everywhere. There’s Diablo 2000 for you stuck in time, go beg for your 1.15!

As usual, just rude emotional toxic fanboys with zero counter arguments. Why should Blizzard appease to those toxic minority?

Anyways we already won few battles and got changes and bugs fixes, we will win more after release I am sure!

Yeah and those so called purists make me laugh because what is the original Diablo?
A few of us think it’s 1.09 or before, but certainly not after the 1.10 who destroyed a lot of items interest because of OP rune words.
It also destroyed some classes since any character can teleport (Enigma) or Warcries (CTA).
So many games full of sorcs & hammerdins

D2R should not be a D2 HD.
And SHOULD D2R be a D2 HD, then I would love to see a D2 1.09 HD.

They really have no sense, and I am glad they are just vocal minority.

Yes, minority, we are the majority, and this is further proof (and great news!):

WE WON!!!