⛓ Three subtle Entangling Shot issues!

Doing some tests today, we found two bugs and an odd issue with Entangling Shot that should be addressed:

1. Refreshing ensnared enemies with Entangling Shot does not refresh the Numbing Traps debuff (visible as little sparkles above the target). Only the target directly hit by following Entangling Shots will have Numbing Traps refreshed. This appears to be a bug with Numbing Traps since refreshing ensnared targets retain all other effects: the slow duration is refreshed, the Odyssey’s End bonus is retained, Cull of the Weak and Bane of the Trapped still function on the ensnared targets.

2. Entangling Shot sometimes has a graphical glitch in that targets display the ensnared chains even after the debuff has expired. This is only an animation glitch and the targets are not slowed, affected by Odyssey’s End, or otherwise affected.

3. This isn’t a bug exactly, but rather an odd behavior of Entangling Shot. When firing Entangling Shot at a group of targets already ensnared (i.e. linked via chains), the fresh Entangling Shot refreshes the ensnare effect on all ensnared targets within 60 yards even if they are not linked to each other! Furthermore, even if targets are linked, if an enemy in the web is more than 60 yards away from the target hit by the fresh Entangling Shot, those distant enemies will not have their ensnare effect refreshed!
    To clarify, the refresh mechanic for Entangling Shot does not care about which targets are linked to which other targets. Entangling Shot simply is refreshed on any target within 60 yards of the target directly hit by the Entangling Shot projectile.
    This is important to keep in mind for players relying on Odyssey’s End since distant targets may lose the ensnare effect even if the web that they are connected to has an enemy hit by Entangling Shot to refresh the duration.

A video with these subtle effects is shown here:

6 Likes

Yeah that Numbing traps bug we tested is bonkers. It makes the passive completely not viable to run because of that. Anyways I’ve made a clip of our testing so the dev’s can see what we’re talking about.

Well I can’t include links on my posts so I’m gonna leave the link for you on discord.

1 Like

This is probably just an efficiency thing.

It’d be a lot easier to write a check just based on distance, i.e. check if is ensnared & distance < 60, then refresh.

If you were checking based on links, it might be a more complicated check, depending on how the linking is coded. If the link groups aren’t flagged somehow, you’d have to trace out all the links each time an Entangling Shot landed. That could lead to some extra calculations. If you set a flag, like ‘link group 1’, you could probably just do a logical check for that flag or something. I’m not too familiar with the way Entangling Shot linking groups work though, what happens if a particular enemy dies that was linking two groups? Can you end up with a big linked group to start, then if you kill a critical enemy, it splits into two separate link groups? That could also be kinda complicated to deal with.

I have no idea how something like that would actually be coded in practice. But I could definitely see how for efficiency purposes, just doing a check and refreshing on everything in a certain distance might be the easiest option.

I don’t think that’s necessarily inconsistent with the skill wording either?

When Entangling Shot hits an enemy, the Slow effect on all entangled enemies is refreshed.

It doesn’t say anything about only refreshing enemies part of the same entangled chain. It just says ‘all entangled enemies’. I guess they set a distance limit on that, but it sort of makes sense that they would limit the range somehow. Don’t want to have to check the entire map.

True, it would be more complicated and expensive to do a recursive tree search to find all enemies that are entangled in a dense web (especially if the web has closed loops in it).

Maybe they should just add the words “within 60 yards” for clarity on the skill.

As for the Numbing Traps bug, that one needs to be fixed or else that passive will be garbage for Odyssey’s End builds that only use the entangling effect for slows.

1 Like

You can encapsulate links with the ` characters so that they are displayed as code like: http://www.some_website.blahblahblah.com/some_page

Also, if it’s a YouTube link, it should work since YouTube is a trusted domain (you don’t need TL3 to link it).

Well I haven’t even tried that since the regular link didn’t show up I thought ok I haven’t played enough forum in order to be able to do that yet XD

´Twitch

Thanks, I added the link to my OP.

1 Like