Threads should be automatically locked after 6 months

Truth hurts, does it?

Because it would take away said bored failtrolls’ favorite toy, which is spam-bumping old threads with potentially outdated info, or failed threads like all the ones demanding free trade in D4.

Do not “bump” posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping old threads for no reason (also called “necroing”).

If only the moderators here are actually doing their job punishing those necromancers.

They’re too busy being biased towards specific users.

This one has been flagged & buried for over a day now. It’s still up, whereas some posts that were only flagged 10-15 minutes ago were taken down immediately.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/i-won-the-game-is-over/26065

1 Like

So you want to change this rule? It has no time limit on it. That is the problem here nobody search the forum. They just start a new Thread. So we now have 100’s of the same topic.

Search
The search function at the top of the community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, we recommend using search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the information you seek. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming.

Plus somebody will bring up this one too. This is basically for the OP to stop them form bumping a thread that doesn’t get enough replies. But somebody will say if you reply to a topic that is over 6 months that is bumping.

Do not “bump” posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping old threads for no reason (also called “necroing”).

I’ve been thinking about this for awhile.

In some cases, locking the thread is a good thing. Eg on one of the database forums I frequent, they did this. This feature prevented old/no longer valid information from surfacing.

But, it could be a bad thing. Eg that forum also locked user generated FAQ/Wiki pages that could no longer be updated with new information.

Additionally, the fix may have to apply to the forums of other games.

My suggestion

1. A “did you look at these threads?” algorithm is used
  2. For older posts, something that verifies that the poster really wants to necro a thread. (Captcha?)
1 Like

I think this idea mentioned above to only allow members of a certain trust level to necro old threads is a good idea. That way someone can’t just whip up alt throw away Blizzard accounts to keep bumping their old thread or other old threads to the top. If the necro post is ruled as spam, the offender is notified and receives a trust level demotion for a certain time period. They can still post according to their demoted trust level, but they won’t have the ability to resurrect old threads.

However, as I mentioned earlier, it should only apply to “general discussion” type forums and not support forums.

Guys forums are dying off. Only the old even bother using them anymore. The majority of people use better options. Like full chat programs. Like discord (All 5 of my clans use it) or telegram (which is what most other users use)

This forum is missing many things. Active mods, active contributors (no, people posting are not them) and people that are willing to keep the forums up to date. By updating the information as needed and pinning threads until they run their course and then close them up.

But that is alot of effort and money to sink into a dying platform.

Sorry but the only thing that dies quickly in this forum is contributions such as yours.

Lmao this is already dead and a few just refuse to accept it. Notice how none of the top tier players are here? Ever wonder why you only see the same few posting even though millions play this game?

You have not even been part of the forum for a year yet. Most of us here have been here for almost 10. But you keep holding on to it. You either change with the times or get left behind.

Top tier players have thousands of hours on this game. They come back when theres new content. There won’t be new content until D4 is out. And guess what… they will come back.
The forums changed. I was on the old forum.

Yes, Blizzard. We want to be censored and have less of a voice. Please restrict our communication capabilities so we don’t have to see things we don’t like. :see_no_evil:

Wow you are lost. I was playing with most of them just this past night. They are all still playing, and they all agree that the forum is dead. They have all moved one to better sites and programs.

They have already set up another site for D4 that they will be using. Or did you miss how much work they are putting into it? Heck you can better stuff on Icy veins then here.

So clever contradicting yourself. I know some top players too. They don’t play as competative as they used too as the game is ancient but they still have a dabble. If you play as you are now stating then why slate the forum in the first place?
Long and short of it is… if you play the game don’t slate it’s forum. Especially when you can’t back your claims up.

I can’t wait to comment on this thread in 6 months just to agree with you. LOL
I crack myself up.

I am going to chime in on this part.

TS should auto lock threads after 1 month. The idea they should not be locked is backwards.

The Forum Support Agents prefer people to make their own thread vs hijack someone elses - especially if the Blue has already replied. It means they don’t usually go back and revisit the issue.

The exception is when an issue just starts and there are a bunch of folks in exactly the same boat (ISP out, common error message, etc.)

It also causes huge issues when someone bumps every thread they think is relevant or similar. Yes, the internet went down 3 weeks ago, that is not why it is down today! It creates false impressions of issues and false reasons for why that issue exists on that particular day.

As for General - yes please lock after 6 months except Sticky thread guides. I have asked for it many times but they have not decided to implement it so far. That will be up to the Web team to do if they decide to do it.

For the most part they never were. Who of the “top tier” players ever posted on the forums? A handful? If that? Most have their own Twitch channels, Discords, etc. They frequent theorycrafting and guide sites. The forums are not set up for that and are not where their audience comes. They have never really been here.

I’d add a few mote

• Wikis
  • Purouso’s testing ground
  • [lounge thread] Slaughter Calf Inn

With your input, if the web team wants to allow the necro of a 6mo thread, the “must be TL2” would be the most appropriate.

I can play the game and talk bad about the forum all I want. That comment makes zero sense at all but ok.

Long and short of it. That makes no sense. Also I didnt have to.The green lady did that for me lol.

Thank you for proving my point.

News flash. There are only a handful of top tier players at all. The rest just copy off the top what 10 players in the world.

Either way you made my point for me. So for that, thank you.

It’s a good idea, but how would you suggest they prevent bypassing the requirement? All it would take is to grab the scroll bar and zip right to the bottom.