Think What You Will, But I Want This Feature!

So it looks likeFry’s Electronics in Wilsonville is going out of business. A company spokesperson said Fry’s isn’t closing any stores except one in Palo Alto California, because the lease there expired. The spokesman said that despite the bare shelves my friend encountered, Fry’s was in the process of reordering quality, in-demand products that would be flexible and responsive to the demands of consumers, and that Fry’s online sales would be fulfilled directly from the closest local retail outlet.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/10/frys-electronics-isnt-restocking-goods-in-multiple-stores/

But I digress. A friend of mine went during Christmas to buy a new desktop computer, and was disappointed that they didn’t have any. So he bought a badass Dell gaming laptop.

He brought it over and we were gaming together, and I’ll be damned if it didn’t look pretty good! Then he threw a Legendary item on the ground, and I was like, “What the hell?”

On his screen there was a red, pulsating, rotating circle with an X in it, with the label N6M4 in the middle. Asked him what the hell was that, and he says this is TurboHUD telling me that that item belongs to an Armory build, and that’s the name of it.

So TurboHUD works by reading some layer of Diablo III memory, correct? Why can’t I have this information display on the item, since the game obviously has the information?

I have asked repeatedly and variously to have the ability to make user notes on the item property dialog box, or to have the game automatically display some attention grabbing graphic and a note that the item in question belongs to some Armory build, and the name of it. Apparently, the game already knows the information, but has no way to display it. This is shoddy programming if you ask me, and I wonder what it takes to build it into the game.

I would like it to get done.

That is all.

2 Likes

I would say the short answer is because you are supposed to figure out the builds yourself and not rely on someone else doing the work for you. Not that I don’t use meta builds, just that I don’t think the game developers want to dumb things down THAT much. I guess I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense to me.

Eh, ok, and your point is?

How much more hand-holding do you need? If you can’t be asked to remember which items your armory builds use, well, maybe you don’t really need them in the first place.

1 Like

It was just anecdotal preamble to lead us to him wanting some of the features of TurboHUD to be built into the native game client.

To be fair, it wouldn’t be the first time Blizzard have done something like this. Back in the dim and distant past of vanilla D3, when legendaries dropped you wouldn’t have good indication of this having happened and it was entirely possible to miss them. So, someone came up with an add-on called Loot Alert! which caused a noise when a legendary dropped and pinged the map. Blizzard obviously thought it was a good idea because legendaries nowadays make a noise, cause a beam and leave a mini-map icon.

Lots of games have the sort of thing Stone’s asking for, i.e. a little tickbox that allows you to prevent an item being vendored or salvaged. You could tick that for all the items that are part of a build and that way when you’re clearing out your stash you’d know which ones are being used by one of your saved builds and which aren’t.

Heck, I remember this way back in Everquest 2.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think you get it. Try reading again.

Seriously? I have 5 basic builds just for the UE Demon Hunter. They all share at least 7 different items. I have been clearing out Seasonal stash, and not remembering the purpose of one of those 25 different accessories, salvaged one I later discovered I needed.

Granted, with THUD you have to throw the item on the ground before it tells you it’s part of a build, but I will happily throw every item on the ground I intend to salvage if Blizz incorporated that feature just as it is in the add-on.

Maybe if you spent more time playing the game instead of alternating between your army of sock poppet accounts, then you wouldn’t need such a kindergarten-level “feature”.

2 Likes

I think it would be a great thing to have and many others posted this idea before.

It is a good QoL thing to have.

1 Like

Maybe if you spent any time playing the game, instead of spending most of your time trying to hide everything about yourself from everyone who might be able to see it, and the rest insulting people, you might have a vague clue what you’re talking about.

As it is, you’re ignorant, clueless, and benighted.

Do people really have that short of a memory. Where they need a memory aid in order to tell them what is what. Heck you can customize your tabs for that purpose and have it all sorted out so you have all of your gear pieces on the tabs that are for your armory builds. Even the support legendaries would be there as well. It shouldn’t that hard to remember what each piece is for.

Well, if you played the game at all, and I mean more than one build of one class that you use just for speed GR runs in a group for a few weeks a year, then you would have some vague idea of what I’m talking about.

Guys who play one build of one class once every 3 months for 2 weeks will obviously have no concept of how the Armory actually works, so please withhold your silly and benighted replies.

Hell not to mention the unique tell you what they do.

@OP, be like us older players who used to draw maps on paper. Nothing stopping you from making your own notes.

Silly me, thanks for opening up my eyes. We need cliff notes on every piece of gear in the stash. Cliff notes that can hold up to 10,000 pages for each piece. After all there is no way that you can possibly organize your stash to help you right. Just put those pieces willy nilly, wherever you fell like putting them.

I know in non season that I have to work on organizing my stash. But I sure well would know how to do it if I did decide to have 10 different builds for a single class.

A good set of organization skills are what is needed. Where you would have up to four tabs for your class. You can even mark them with one of the special tab icons to mark that those tabs are for armory builds. Then put the gear for the second build on the top roll with a little in the second roll. Then put the gear for build three next, rinse and repeat till you have all other gear that is needed for armory builds 2-10. It really isn’t that hard at all to accomplish. If you forget what it is there for just check the armory and it will jog your memory.

1 Like

Not really sure why this guy asked a question if he doesn’t want people’s answers, right?

It’s because the answers given reveal that the answerer has no conception of the problem I describe or my complaint and request that arise from it. For example:

“… the unique tell you what they do.”

Well, in this game they’re called Legendary items, and no kidding, for ones that have a Legendary power, they have orange text at the bottom of the item property dialogue that describes it. Big deal. I’m not talking about that.

I’m talking about the fact that looking at the item, there’s no way I can know whether the item is part of an Armory build or not.

And make my own notes on paper? That means for three different Marauder’s Visage helms, I am supposed to get a piece of paper, make a note of every single property and its value for each of those items, and note whether each of those items is part of a build or not, and if so, which one. So you’re suggesting I have, what, a 3 x 5 index card file with hundreds of entries describing every piece of gear in my inventory so that I can refer to that to determine whether or not the item is part of a build or not? Did you even think about how what you are suggesting would work? Imbecilic!

First of all, I’m pretty sure that this guy is using voice recognition software and the phrases “top roll” and “second roll,” are supposed to be ‘top row’ and ‘second row.’

But once again this guy doesn’t understand how the armory works. Sure you can have all your gear beautifully organized as he says, providing you don’t play more than three classes, and you’ll know that in those particular tabs on those particular rows you’ll have items that belong to this or that particular build.

But I don’t think this guy thought about the fact that when you swap builds in the Armory it doesn’t put stuff back where it got it from, it puts stuff back where it gets the next item from; it swaps items, it doesn’t return items to where they came from. That means after swapping builds a few times, you have a complete mess in your stash with pieces of different sets of different builds scattered everywhere. And if you’re like me, as I described the outset, where you have seven basic builds of one class, as you progress through the game and pick up various pieces of gear, you invariably forget which ones were supposed to go with which builds. I don’t care how good your organizational skills are, after one evening of even moderately active play, your stash is going to be a mess.

Tell me how your ‘one row of this’ and ‘one row of that’ superior organizational skill is going to help in that situation?

My only current solution is to occasionally take every piece of gear off and throw it on the ground, load the next build, take those pieces off and throw them on the ground, and continue until I don’t have a single piece for a single build left in my stash. And the Armory will tell me that. Then I can start over by organizing what’s in my stash into one area, pick everything up off the ground, and put it back in the stash in another area. All the time praying that Blizzard doesn’t decide to disconnect me with everything I own laying on the ground.

So to get back to the original question; yeah I want the answers, sure. But I want opinions and ideas and responses from people who first understand what the problem is, and second, understand what my position is on that problem. Half the guys that replied here obviously don’t.

You know, throwing around ad hominem insults really takes away from the purpose of this thread, which is actually a reasonable and valid request.

1 Like

Oh so you can take the effort to make special tabs that would help organize things. Even having a special tab that isn’t a dump tab where it would put the gear that you switched out of. Then at the end of the day you can put it back in those special tabs. A place for everything and everything has its place as the saying goes, at least that is what my father told me many years ago.

With an organized stash you will not have any problems at all.

And if you play more than three classes each with 10 builds in the armory then you have even more of a problem than I thought. You probably couldn’t even hardly switch builds without dropping gear on the ground.

Besides that why not ask Blizz to change the armory where it doesn’t put things all over the place. Where it puts what you are switching from in the place where the gear you are switching to is from. That way my idea of organization would work just fine.

That’s what it does now.

To make your idea work, and to make the whole Armory system better, the Armory should put gear back where it came from, not where the piece it is swapping to came from. That way you could put a piece of Armory gear in a location, and no matter how many times you swapped to different builds, that one piece would always be in the stash where you put it, unless it was currently equipped.

I was saying the idea was imbecilic, not the person. Maybe I should have used more or smaller words so you could understand them better.

(lol…see what I did there?)

[just having you on there, though…:slight_smile:]

Statement: Your idea is imbecilic.
Implication: You are an imbecile.

Maybe you should just stop implying people are imbecilic because they disagree with you.

1 Like

…whatever.

But if I say, “The sun is bright today,” and someone replies, “No, most water in a lake looks blue,” then they clearly don’t understand what I’ve said.

The fact is that if there is any player who does not recognize this problem or does not agree with me that the item dialog and Armory would benefit greatly from my proposal, then one or both of two things is true: they don’t understand what I’m talking about, or they don’t play the game enough to know what I’m talking about. Period. It isn’t a matter of opinion or degree.

You say think what you will and when they do you call them imbeciles
So much for thinking what we will
Sounds more like an agree with me post or I will call you names
What’s the point of putting think what you will when that’s the last thing you want them to do

Then don’t ask for people to think what they will or is that a way for you to attack people that don’t agree with your way of thinking and laying prostrate at your feet