There was an error death

I’ve been happily playing HC this season for the last month. I believe this is the right choice for me because I have a stable internet connection and non-hardcore tends to be too boring for my liking. My first character to play was a DH, but unfortunately died fairly easily. So I then rolled a barbarian. He didn’t die until there “was an error”.

I noticed I was logged out of Battle net and couldn’t reconnect for some time. My internet connection was fine and I doubt that it was the problem due to being fibre optic and this was the only instance of it happening the whole season.

I noticed last season that I didn’t experience any deaths due to a disconnect error, so I assumed that this wouldn’t happen again, but it has and I would like to gain a better understanding as to why.

It’s obviously very difficult losing a character for no good reason, so if I have any reason to believe this will happen again then I won’t play hardcore.

I’ve held my breath thru several of those with my favorite barb and finally lost her to one today. I seem to get one every few hours of playing.

Now I’ll have to spend 10 minutes getting another character to 70.

If it takes 5 minutes per rift (including time in town and running normal rifts for keystones) how long does it take to level 3 gems to 90?
3 * 90 = 270 minutes? Plus augments?

I play both SC and HC. Some pure HC players can answer this better but if you are not pushing GR’s, I assume you are playing 2-3 levels below your best?
For bounties and normal rifts you do not need to play at max level and risk your character. The game seems to know whether you can die at a specific torment level or not. So if you are playing at a level where you would have to sit there and do nothing for twenty minutes and get a fluked death where five packs of elites jump on you at once to do that, then on a disconnect or error, you will likely be there still when you login again.

As for higher GR’s, nine out of ten times, on a random disconnect, yes, you will probably be presented with the archive option.

EDIT: It does not happen regularly, but it does happen. It should not stop you from enjoying it because it is not a regular occurrence fortunately. It is annoying but I learned to accept it as part of the risk.

Yeah, this is exactly why I was hoping to get an official response from a Blizzard representative about the error I encountered because normal disconnections don’t result in a death.

Errors and being disconnected are common, especially for certain types of skills. When there’s too many going on in one screen, the risk of system failure increases. You may not want to play hardcore if your mind is already set to leave. Have fun.

Yes you would like to blame the server. But understand something here is the server is on the west coast of the USA. Yes you might have fiber optic, but it doesn’t mean that some of other parts of the country does.

I live on the east coast and I have on avg 18 hops to the server. It can get up to 30 at some times. So in saying this you can’t blame the server 100% of the time. The only time you really can blame the server. Is that when the forum gets hit with a lot people posting I got disconnected.

I too have have die twice from a disconnect. Once was the server because the other 3 people die too. The other was my fault we were having a problem in our area with Comcast. I thought everything was fine but it wasn’t.

1 Like

Errors and being disconnected are common, especially for certain types of skills. When there’s too many going on in one screen, the risk of system failure increases. You may not want to play hardcore if your mind is already set to leave. Have fun.

My mind isn’t already set to leave and I’d much rather prefer to play hardcore. This is only the first death I’ve had due to an error and I was inquiring about what caused the error.

You mentioned “certain types of skills” cause errors and disconnects. Could you please let us know which ones?

Yes you would like to blame the server. But understand something here is the server is on the west coast of the USA. Yes you might have fiber optic, but it doesn’t mean that some of other parts of the country does.

I live on the east coast and I have on avg 18 hops to the server. It can get up to 30 at some times. So in saying this you can’t blame the server 100% of the time. The only time you really can blame the server. Is that when the forum gets hit with a lot people posting I got disconnected.

I too have have die twice from a disconnect. Once was the server because the other 3 people die too. The other was my fault we were having a problem in our area with Comcast. I thought everything was fine but it wasn’t.

I didn’t blame the server.

DBI is the worst way to go. I found a semi- failsafe way to limit it (Death By Internet {or ISP}).

When I am in a high GR and I get the first sign of lag, I get out of it as quickly as I can. To be honest Icannot say that it works all of the time, which is why I said ‘semi-failsafe’. But since I have applied that method, I have had no ISP disconnects in Hardcore.

EDIT: Pushing your HC character - You can do this really safely in PTR which is not often mentioned - you probably know this. It is the one place you get a second life because your real characters remain unaffected and you can test the true limits of your character’s strength without fear of permanent loss.

Blizzard purposely makes HC unstable so people lose characters so they would have to re-level and re-grind…
#conspiracytheory?

Citation required…

I’ve got a feeling I’m not going to get an official answer about this one, but surely something has been said about this in the past, right? I can’t be the first so there surely must have been some dialog about this in the past, right?

Luckily, I haven’t had any further issues and have been happily playing, but I wonder about the code that enables such a death to occur because it seemed to me as though it got fixed, but it didn’t…

When you rolled a Hardcore hero you were presented with this dialog…

Permanent Death

You have but one life, eager hero. If you should die, though your deeds will be remembered, you shall not return again.

Customer Service will not revive a fallen Hardcore hero for any reason. All of your hero’s items will be lost forever upon death.

So, there will be no blue response forthcoming about your hero having died for the simple reason that you got exactly what you agreed to, i.e. it’ll never be coming back, regardless of how you lost it.

Sometimes having an unstable internet connection is still a problem these days. It’s a double whammy because not only do you have to stay connected in game, but also with the battle.net app. Technology can be a double edged sword, but as long as we’re having fun right?

On the rare occasion that I really start to lag, and get choppy, I just hit the ESC key to pause, and let things catch up.

I have had crashes caused by something on my system starting up , and taking priority over D3; auto update, anti virus scan etc. But those were easy fixes.

Build for error deaths.

d.

the official response from blizzard is that you signed something when creating the character that it has permanent death and wont be revived for any reason.
if you want toplay HC get use to the idea that characters die sometimes to errors, some times to DC and sometimes to your own faults, you better deal whit it or do not play HC

So i just had something similar happen last night and I am so confused.

I was playing and got a 1016 error and was disconnected. My lvl 70 barb was dead when i logged back in.

This morning I logged in and my barbarian character was revived. But it was revived in normal, stripped of wearing all items. But all items, including my stash now exist on the normal server.

I have no idea what happened, and if this is fixable.

Does anyone know what I should do?

From the description of the results, it sounds like the hero was rebirthed, i.e. a non-seasonal hero gets turned into a level 1 seasonal hero, and all the gear they were wearing is sent to the non-seasonal in-game mailbox for collection.

Did you click the Rebirth option?

1 Like