...then we doubled it - S27 notes

" We heard your feedback regarding the Angelic Crucible drop rate. . . then we doubled it."

There’s some well-played, ironic, self-effacing humor.

Doubling the drop rate will certainly make the journey doubler the funner.

1 Like

You could have posted this with the season preview.

Did you know Jay Wilson (original lead dev on D3 and the originator of the doubling meme) was also a lead dev on WoW Legion expansion and was a big part of bringing in the mythic+ dungeon system to that game? Jay Wilson was some horrible PR for D3, but man mythic+ (particularly for tanking) was generally a fun activity in WoW.

2 Likes

Doubling zero still results in zero.

5 Likes

considering it’s effect , isn’t it a good thing that it’s rare?

2 Likes

No, being rare only limits the options to enjoy the season. Having many of them has no downside for the power of players as only one of the items may be used at a time. Having a high amount of them has no downside, but not having enough of them will be very limiting.

4 Likes

This is so true. On the PTR, I rerolled a few quivers and a couple amulets with Angelic Crucibles. I went through stacks of 99 each trying to get acceptable attributes and the right angelic power. Even amongst Primals there can be several variations of the same item.

ACs will need to be common enough in early phase of the game to impart an advantage and allow experimentation.

Finding only 3 by the time you are P800, none of which rolled what you wanted, will quickly become frustrating when you see your friends flash by you who got a lucky roll with the only one they found.

I foresee issues with Meta composition too. The haves and the have not metas.

2 Likes

You may disagree but I think Jay was a great director. Perhaps abit hot-headed and stubborn but he’s the guy that built the game on steady pillars. Also, yes this thread would do better under the S27 Preview thread, no need to open another thread just for a meme.

I actually enjoyed the Mythic dungeons in WoW. I didn’t know it was Smash Jay Smash that did that. Cool. I was one of those filthy dps, but I brought it. Troll Fury Warrior all the way. I actually would have quit earlier if it wasn’t for those. When they first started, I was a Human Prot Warrior. Most fun I had tanking. The Warrior’s damage mitigation was insane. It would piss off healers. haha. That’s the real reason why I went to dps. Healer QQ. I would tell them they have more time healing the bumbling dps that stands in the bad longer than 3 seconds and then blames lag.

Yes he was a big name in the WoW legion credits. He was probably involved in other WoW versions of D3 ROS systems like bounties being converted to world quests and the associated daily cache rewards.

It’s a shame that mythic+ was generally neglected by WoW devs because it was a real golden goose that could have had way more potential. It was way more fun tanking dungeons than raids, and I say that as someone who did both regularly for many years

It all depends on how rare. If it is something in the realm of EN’s then it would be horrible, even worse than this season. If it is somewhere around Ethereals it should be fine. Combination of getting the right power and stats means we will potentially need quite a few.

Don’t know if I was just lucky with Ethereals but I only got to around 1 000 paragon and had multiple versions of both the right one and right legendary power and that seemed fine in terms of loot hunt and access.

It seems that since the Angelic Crucible is a consumable, it’s drop rate has affected the drop rate of Ramaladni’s Gift. I’ve picked up about 40 of the AC’s (and only used two at this point), but only 4 of the RG’s. Usually by this point in the game I’m flush with RG’s; now I’m hording them to be careful how I use them. Bit of a bummer.

2 Likes

nah they’re just 5-10x more common than ramaladni’s gifts in terms of probability

I am more interested in what they become at the end of the season

• FOR EXAMPLE…
    You start with an item that is not even ancient. Assuming you imbue with gems well over 100 - Does the item at the end of season return to its original state losing the imbuing?
  • Or, does it logically becomes an ancient because the stats are not always perfect, you have to go to the mystic and change often and you’ve imbued them?
    No idea. Easy enough to check in PTR towards the end of season I suppose.

I think because they become a new type of item, they just dissapear completly.

1 Like

This would be my bet as well.

Yep, it is easier to tag the new item with a flag like “Sanctified” and then run a command to del “Sanctified” so they’ll just go away.