The State of Sets and Looking Towards 2.7.2

The bonuses of Strongarm and Aughild are so low relative to other uffs that it is irrelevant. I prefer the search of finding a well rolled new item, like I did 2 seasons ago for Gelmindor.

how good for you. enjoy finding a new quiver then

No, because it’s one e tra item to chase. Aughilds is a sign the build is not fleshed put and lacks specialized options, and using RORG is a waste of a slot. Feels bad moment IMO.

I would target reverse Archon. Right now, Vyr increases ALL damage dealt, I would simply change it to increase all damage dealt while in Archon and increase the multiplier appropriately.

Doesn’t solve the RSI issues, but it solves the reverse Archon cancer and buffs Vyr.

Does it really matter? I mena, ideally, you’re right, build trade-offs are good, but I’d be happy with a +100% Impale damage on the quiver. As long as the build is functional and competitive, right? Take what you can get.

1 Like

I’ve written several threads about this set in these, and the old forums. The set does indeed need a numbers buff to make it competitive, but what I’d REALLY like is for the build to have some diversity in addition to the needed numbers buff. As it stands, there is only 1 viable rune for Exploding Palm (Impending Doom since it deals WAY more damage than EVERY other rune) and 1 rune for Seven Sided Strike (Since it has WAY shorter time between activations between EVERY other rune). Since it is a CDR dependent build, you basically need to run it with Captain Crimson set, and the weapons (aside from the current season with Ethereal options) are completely cast in stone, Fist of Az’Turasq and Lion’s Claw equipped and Flow of Eternity in the cube. You flex spots are jewelry and armor cube, and even they have only a few optimized variations (Endless Walk and CoE or Focus and Restraint and Squirt’s; cube Lefebvre’s or Spirit Guards).

My suggestion to fix the skills is to increase the DoT of EP so that all of the runes have a similar level of damage when the DoT and the detonation is added together (relevant to Uliana since the 6 piece detonates EP) and to change the coding on EP so that if the EP is detonated, it consumes all remaining DoT damage. That would let you roll with runes other than Cold. Then I’d change SSS to have 14 seconds of CDR on every rune and rework the physical rune to consume ALL of your spirit and perform additional SSS strikes for every 75 Spirit consumed, leaving you dazed for a second and with no resources which you then have to build up to again. You could save up for a big elite pack or RG to have REALLY big booms, or activate as soon as it’s ready for a playstyle similar to the current one. That change would let you pick other runes on SSS for different uses, but physical would still be the best for pushing.

1 Like

Cool post – a sweeping set balance patch is welcome. Here’s the same tired feedback I always share:

Regarding Shadow’s Mantle:

This already has good gearing variety via CC3 vs A3 vs Elusive/Witching Hour, etc. Impale just needs a 6-7GR jump. Shadow’s Mantle is thematically the ideal platform for Chakram and Fan of Knives.

• S2 bonus to 15000%-18000%.
  • S4 increases the effect of Shadow Power by 50%. (Added survival needed for 140+ solo)
  • S6 add separate 2000% damage bonus for Fan of Knives and Chakram. Only Chakram legendary effects require a buff thereafter.

Regarding Marauder’s:

This one needs the rework. It’s a pseudo Sentry set – in pure M6 the Sentries are a small portion of total damage, majorly eclipsed by weak player damage. M6 should be what N6M4 is, but smoother and quicker. I wrote up rework options for this not too long ago, but for simplicity they could reverse the damage numbers and it’d be more interesting to play:

• M4: Sentries cast Elemental Arrow, Chakram, Impale, Multishot, and Cluster Arrow when you do. All damage is increased by 100% for each active Sentry.

• M6: Enemies hit by your hatred spenders increase Sentry damage by 12,000% for 5 seconds.

5 Sentries now deal 6x121 each delivering 726x. If you played N6M4 it’d be 846x coming directly from the player (that’s your Cluster Bomber). Still requires buffs to Manticore, Chakram and eventually Elemental Arrow legendary effects.

I’m confident the above S6 and M6 Chakram builds would be balanced with each other, S6 Impale and FoK would be close as well.

One additional QoL feature I’d like with Vyr’s is to allow remapping of Archon skills to keep with the key layout that we have out side of Archon. I am a creature of habit, and I like teleport and other actions on certain keys. I HATE HATE HATE that my teleport button gets moved to new keys when swapping into and out of Archon. I know it’s not game changing, but I always found it annoying.

2 Likes

Thank you all for feedback, and let’s keep it up. If we can stay attention, we can get the easier changes pushed through perhaps.

Lol looking forward to what?

Popular sets + their supporting legs gonna be gutted, sets noone uses or likes gonna be buffed to pigeonhole us into using them.

That’s the gist of patching now.

I…dont agree. At all.

To be honest, this season, GoD is where it needs to be. Buriza gives a 150% damage bonus. So to mimic this without adding Ethereals into non-season. NCS should give 8-12 pierces. Not 4. Double the pierces and GoD is good to go.

In other words. It isn’t fine the way it is.

Edit:

And a suggestion to make GoD Bola viable is create a Ring that gives Bolas all runes and 200-300% more damage.

If your wondering how giving all the runes would interact with Freezing Bola. You’d still get the freeze but for everything else it fires 3 shots. In other words it wouldn’t be a single target target but area damage skill.

And the problem is that skill rune doesn’t have damage over time but only rewards on-kill. When SSS is cooling off your only hope is killing one of the afflicted monsters but you’re unable to do so. That’s the soft spot of the Uliana’s that need to be addressed. I think it must be more clear why other Exploding Palm skill runes are more desirable for their spread or damage over time effects.
Mitigating the SSS cooldown with Captain Crimson and Gogok looks like the only legit decision here for sustaining the flow. However, lacking damage over time effect also gives you huge down time for picking the most obvious choice too.

I think Shocking Grasp is the next best thing after Impending Doom as it deals some damage over time also arcs to other targets when applied manually. Shocking Grasp doesn’t spread on third hit of a generator as far as I know, but I think Uliana’s setup need a legendary item that grants Impending Doom skill rune to the Exploding Palm when worn on cubed.
As a very rough suggestion; this would allow Monk players to experiment on Shocking Grasp or Essence Burn skill runes. When wearing or cubed that item, manual cast of EP can be a pure spreading SG or EB skill runes with Impending Doom blast on-kill, while third hit occur from Uliana bonus can be a pure Impending Doom that lacks Damage over Time. Something can be done to incentivize player to cast EP manually also gives an edge for damage output to Uliana Monks.

Gungdo and Uliana set both increase overall damage of Exploding Palm. Az’turrasq is the only one with on-death explosion damage increase modifier and that funnels player to bank on the on-death damage with Impending Doom skill rune.
Your solution seem to be the obvious but class designers had to keep some options like Captain Crimson in mind while making drastic changes such as mitigating cooldown of every skill rune down to 14 seconds. Permanent nigh-untouchable state by spamming SSS, shouldn’t be on anyone’s mind.

While GOD isn’t fine, 8-12 pierces is completely out of the question. I think an item with the “Frozen enemies are always critically hit” is a welcome addition to the game. I suggest it for Rimeheart, back in the day.

Maybe they should just make Rimeheart a dagger. I dunno.
1 Like

Yeah, I suggested something similar where they give Regular Buriza the legendary effect of Ethereal Buriza side effect. Ie. Replace the 1-2 pierces with 35% chance to freeze and 100% crit chance against frozen enemies.

Honestly at this point, I really don’t care how they do it, so long as the end result is that the Vyr allows the Archon skills themselves to be viable damage dealers, without needing chantodo.

1 Like

I’d like to see the introduction of smaller sets, like more 2-3 piece and more 3-4. More universally applicable stuff, with some jewelry, belts, and others (bracers seem a good candidate).

But, to reflect on the current ones-- necromancer needs help. They have one OK set but it has some major issues with essence restore. It works but is wonky.

Witch doctor definitely needs work - none of their sets, at least to me, are playable or fun. “Alternate” builds to it, like angry chicken and zombie bears are fun… but are not effective like other class sets.

Raekor set for barbarian is boring.

I haven’t gotten the experience for wizard or crusader - tried invoker and firebird only as the others just don’t seem pleasant.

are you kidding me? RORG is one of the best features of the entire game…

1 Like

Inclined to agree, RROG is one of the best, most balanced, legendary powers of the game.

My suggestions for two of the Crusader sets (have no idea what numbers should be).

Seeker of the Light: Change the Faithful Memory legendary so it refreshes stacks so it’s easier to keep the bonus at max stacks.

Invoker: Needs some serious area damage option. The 2-piece bonus was already crappy, and it got nerfed into the ground because of A6I2.

But above all, the developers need to remember that most of their playerbase isn’t pushing high tier GRs.

Sets can have a specialized playstyle for pushing, but they all should have a GR100 version that’s fun to play. And this is why I hate the Rathma and Inna reworks, that have all their damage tied to cooldown abilities.

1 Like

The numbers can be adjusted so that permanent invulnerability is impossible, maybe 20 seconds is the right amount. Testing would need to be done.

The difference between cold and every other rune is not even close. Since the Fist of Az’Turasq only affects the detonation and the cold detonation is so much larger than every other rune, there is about a 5 GR difference in power (2.27x stronger). If they buffed the DoT, coded it so that all remaining DoT damage is consumed in the explosion, and made Fist of Az’Turasq buff the DoT then there could be some choice in EP rune.