Thanks for Alpha access, but I'm on Windows 7

I’ve been part of the last 5 WoW betas or something and have probably sent you at least a thousand feedback reports by now. I’d love to do the same for D2R but it just won’t load on Win7. Yes, I know your minimum required specs for this are Windows 10. I’d love to provide feedback for your amazing-looking remaster but I can’t! Is there any possible way to make this compatible with Windows 7?

1 Like

From my understanding, it requires DirectX 12 to work, which only runs on Windows 10. Not even 8.1 can run it. Sorry

This will be the first thing that actually forces me to up to Win10. Windows and display drivers are like the only 2 things I avoid upgrading unless something doesn’t work. And believe it or not, every other single game has had no issues on Win7 DX11. Except this one. Redownloading all my apps, drivers, getting all system and game settings back to the way they were, etc…everything is just a huge pain.

It’s worth it in the long run. A lot of the hate on Windows 10 comes from people who have only tried it when it just launched (and it was pretty bad back then). The OS is very mature now, being 6 years old at this point (comparatively speaking, using windows 7 now would be like using Windows 95 when Windows XP got it’s Service Pack 3) and having received several big updates, and it’s unlikely that Microsoft will release another main version of Windows anytime soon (since Microsoft made it clear that windows 10 will be the “last version” of windows and will be just receiving constant updates). And unlike Windows 7, it still gets vulnerability fixes and security updates.

im actually quite happy with windows 10 surprisedly. made me switch back from kali for my personal machine

(i hated 7, 8.1)

I actually switched back from Arch Linux to Windows 10 as a working OS because WSL2 (that feature to run Linux under Windows 10) allows me to continue having the workflow I had back when using the penguin OS while still being able to use Windows exclusive software and games without the need of tweaking with wine. I still have my reservations with the way Windows works architecturally (there are things in this OS that are residues of the way DOS worked in the 80’s) but it has served me well.

I still miss the desktop environment I used back on Linux though, tiling window managers are something that after you get used to, everything else feels subpar.

windows 10 mature? windows is hotter hogwash than its ever been and for the record dx or modern graphics is essentially the only benefit to it. even the last big update on win 10 20h2 I think it was called was the worst windows update ive ever seen on my life absolutely annihilated my already destroyed win 10 networking which win10 cant seem to figure out how to fix. i been sharing my internet since windows 95 and you STILL cant even share internet in win10. bridging doesnt work. connection sharing doesnt work and working and normal functioning network hardware always just randomly stops working due to windows 10 broken software. this is all happening RIGHT now 2021 buddy. get ur facts straight. win 10 is garbage but needed for d2r, period.

1 Like

resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. Here’s to hoping our gov ever follows through with breaking up a tech monopoly.

Sorry to hear that man. I’ve never had any of those problems with Windows 10, ever. I did have a little issue with 20H2 which was quickly solved and now they fixed the problem and I installed the update again and it is working perfectly. So for my experience and my hardware, Windows 10 is doing the job. In fact, it’s the first time I have no problems using a Windows version, an OS I have been running away from since the Vista days. But I’m not a fanboy of any operating system, in fact, I’m mostly a unix guy at heart. I just use whatever works for me and at the moment, Win 10 is working. A huge part of why it’s working so well to me is because WSL2 which means it’s the only Windows OS I can actually work with since I need to run Linux stuff. Could be that some update will ruin it for me and I will go back to Arch Linux, just happens. I didn’t pay for my license anyway (gotta thank my employer for that).