Test feedback on coldmastery skills

Through the test of Diablo 2 high-level players, it is found that coldMastery has the problem of actively reducing the resistance of monsters, and can kill monsters with high cold resistance through infinity. Is there a problem with this? Whether it violates the original mechanism and whether it needs to be repaired

??? I donā€™t get it. What is wrong with it? It is the original mechanism doing what it should be doing.
It has been this way for 20 years.
Conviction Aura and Lower Resist meant to increase the teamā€™s spell damage by decreasing resistance.
Cold Mastery meant to increase sorcererā€™s cold damage by decreasing resistance.
Btw, Conviction Aura and Lower Resist can break some monsterā€™s immunity.

1 Like

You say it was found that there is a problem and you asked if there is a problem with it? Which is it? Either you know or dont know.

And if you know, can you actualy desribe the issue.

1 Like

I mean active reduction, while Coldmastery is passive reduction. This needs to be clarified

Please read carefully the introduction to cold mastering techniques. Cold mastering skills under the redemption aura will not cause high damage to it. Please understand this.

Sorry but this line doesnt make any sense.

3 Likes

Conviction is an Aura. Of course, it needs to be activated. Coldmastery is a passive skill so it doesnā€™t need to be activated.
I donā€™t understand what is the issue here.

1st of all, what do you mean cold mastering skills? There is a skill call ā€œCold Masteryā€ but I never heard cold mastering skills.

2nd, of course, it wonā€™t do higher damage with Redemption Aura. Redemption aura doesnā€™t decrease the resistance. I donā€™t understand what is the issue here.

Here is the link to all these three skills:
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/sorceress-cold.shtml#coldmastery
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-offense.shtml#conviction
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-defense.shtml#redemption

@ FilthieRich
Please delete this post

Having a hard time understanding your google translate paragraph, but cold mastery only gives passive cold pierce (cannot break element immunity) and is intended to be that way, conviction and lower resist curse directly subtracts monster elemental (cold, fire, lightning, poison [lower resist only]) resistance, which has the ability to break the element immunity of monsters, that is also the intended function of those skills.

EDIT: When I say or mention intent in the game, I speak of the current patch version 1.14d ruleset.

Reference on immune monsters, and what monsterā€™s resistances can be broken with conviction and lower resist: https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Immune_Monsters_(Diablo_II)#Immunities_in_Hell

1 Like

Actually, the immunities came with LOD expansion. Before the expansion the game was still difficult, but cold mastery was the reason cold skills were broken. They should have made it like the other two masteries and just increased damage.

To be honest, the entire cold tree is silly. They have three similar projectile attacks and three similar armor abilities. They could have given you two projectile attacks, one with single target and the other with area of effect. Then give you two defensive abilities. That would leave two skills for something different.

2 Likes

Utilizing two abilities from other classes to break immunities is stupid. They never originally broke immunities, because immunities never existed. They also didnā€™t break immunities when the immunities were introduced, they were changed later on.

Cold Mastery was an unbalanced ability. It canā€™t break immunity and just increases damage anyways. It was the original reason cold skills were broken, they could have easily just changed that ability and the game would have been fine.

Well for one, I wasnā€™t implying that anyone use the skills in conjunction to do so, thatā€™s just happens to be on the wiki, since itā€™s something easy to reference. I would normally suggest they look through game data, but that isnā€™t exactly user friendly.

Iā€™m speaking as of the current latest patch 1.14d on how they function with those skills which presumably is the purpose of those skills. But you could be right, if weā€™re talking about the original intention of the abilities of those skills in previous patches.

The original developers left before those patches were added. The changes were based on what the new team could think up at that moment. The direction they went changed the entire game a few times, each time the game became something else entirely.

1 Like

Heā€™s asking if stacking was intended. Because once you break the immunities, you can use lower resistance with other things like cold mastery for good damage. Heā€™s testing the game at the moment and noticed this.

No, itā€™s not a bug. They stack.

1 Like

It is an odd decision that Cold Mastery lowers resists while Fire and Lit increase damage. As stated this decision was made before they introduced immunities and thus has led to an imbalance with cold being able to break immunities with the help of other things like conviction and LR and Fire and Lit unable to.

Was it intentional to give cold one benefit and the other two a different benefit. In the beginning it probably was, but over time with the ā€˜skill balancesā€™ it creates a big difference that makes them unbalanced. I donā€™t think this was intended.

Should they changed the masteries to either all increase damage or lower resists? IMO yes they should make them equal so one doesnā€™t have an option to break immunities while the others do not.

Which way should it be? I donā€™t know. As you canā€™t really break the immunities unless you have the help of either a Pally, Necy or really high end gear, perhaps itā€™s fine to let all masteries lower resists. I would ask at what level of cold mastery you need to actually break the Hell immunities. Is it attainable through + to skills at all without help? How many + to skills/facets do you need?

Should they make the changeā€¦I would vote yes.

Honestly, I would just take out immunities and make enemies with 90% resistance. Give them a special title that makes lower resistance work with 1/5 effect. Then change cold mastery to increased damage and rebalance lower resist, conviction and a few unique items to make more sense.

Another way would be to keep immunities and remove the ability to break resistance all together, but then add pierce resistance effects within the game. Then people who use elemental damage would have another equipment option to consider. You would still change cold mastery to increased damage.

2 Likes

I personally prefer how the masteries, immunities, and the breaking of immunities function in the current patch. Sure it might suck that you have limited options for places to farm with cold sorc, like AT, Bosses, etcā€¦ but Iā€™d still use a cold sorc any day to boss (particularly meph), cause the damage is pretty decent for that, and for pretty cheap.

EDIT: Iā€™m just using the cold sorc for the sake of an example, just to be clear. I am aware it effects other classes who use their respective element types. It still doesnā€™t change my stance on masteries, immunities, and the breaking of immunities

2 Likes

Itā€™s not only the sorceress who has these problems. The amount of common enemies with fire and cold immunities is apparent, especially most enemies within act one. Almost every waypoint location in act one, has half of the enemies immune to cold and the other half immune to fire. Thereā€™s basically one map that has lightning and poison immune monsters. The game basically forces the sorceress to farm bosses.

1 Like

But which do people like better Fire Master or Cold Mastery?

Lets not derail this to another thread of bashing immunities, the Masteries function differently, one makes big numbers happen on your damage sheet the other doesnā€™t look as impressive on the damage sheet but can pull off things when combined with other skills.

Both masteries donā€™t break immunities, so the results are the same. Increased damage.

Many cold immune monsters canā€™t be broken anyways due to super high resistances.