Teleport Still needs work

It’s always amazed me that wizards have the worst mobility of all classes (vyr’s set aside)

Aether walker helps but as it’s a weapon and weapons are one of the Wizards few damage buff locations it is also a useless item for higher GR’s.

So here are my suggestions.

Teleport rune Reversal becomes
Energy Portal - Teleport No Longer has a cooldown but instead costs 25 AP to cast.

Aether Walker Becomes.
Teleport Gains All Runes. Wave of force (including Teleport Calamity) damage is increased by 250-350%

4 Likes

Great suggestion! I would suggest the teleport rune be something other than Arcane. I’d suggest a Fire teleport rune; fits with the theme of being resource-intensive.

Good Idea Perhaps this

Trinket of Force - Amulet

** Wave of force Gains all runes ( Calamity also gains all WoF Runes tho with half damage). WoF damage is the same as your highest Damage Buff. WoF Damage is increased by 150-200%

WoF itself would not have a cooldown because of this but impactful wave would so you could only cast it once every 5 sec.

With both the Teleport Changes and This new item we could have a cool Teleport/Wave of force Farming build along with a teleport that actually useful during GR pushing.

Too complicated. Simple is better. Teleport gains the “Calamity” rune. Wave of Force deals 400% more damage.

You Could make it all Simpler.

Aether Walker.
Teleport Gains the Safe Passage Rune. After Teleporting all damage is increased by 60% for 5 seconds.

Trinket Of Force Amulet
Teleport gains the “Calamity” rune. Wave of Force deals 400% more damage.

Add to that the change in Teleport Rune Reversal.
Teleport rune Reversal becomes
Energy Portal - Teleport No Longer has a cool down but instead costs 25 AP to cast.

Could Also Change Cosmic Strand.

** Teleport gains the effect of the Wormhole rune and Casts Arcane Orbit.

Although I agree with the OP and some of the other suggestions, I expected discussion about how the skill just fails most of the time if anywhere near a wall, a rock, an invisible pixel the game gets you stuck on…

In fact…I find mobility skills in general are kind of…well, sabotaged, to be honest. Can’t count the number of times they’ve either failed to trigger, or the game outright ignores them and cheats an instant death out of you. I’m not sure how much work can be done there, now that the game is so old, but it’s worth mentioning.

I always did think it was weird that Teleport had to have a cooldown. Vault doesn’t, and a well-geared Demon Hunter can be entire floors ahead of the rest of the party in a matter of seconds. Would it really be so bad to let our magic users…use magic?

We can literally kill Death itself, but moving more than once every few seconds is crossing the line. Where’s that X button? I wanna press to doubt.

2 Likes

Just make teleport a non cooldown ability and up the resource cost.

I find it baffling that monks teleport far better than a wizz

1 Like

Here’s what I would do:

Teleport [Defensive]

Costs: 50 Arcane Power per cast.
Teleport through the ether to the selected location up to 50 yards away.
Runes:

• Safe Passage [Level 26] [Cold]
    For 5 seconds after you Teleport, you will take 25% less damage.
  • Wormhole [Level 31] [Lightning]
    Your pickup radius increases the maximum range and leaves a Black Hole at your old location.
  • Rush [Level 37] [Fire]
    Reduces the costs to 30 Arcane Power per cast and increases your resource regeneration by 30% for three seconds.
  • Fracture [Level 43] [Arcane]
    You summon 2 Mirror Images after using teleporting.
  • Calamity [Level 59] [Arcane]
    Cast a short range Wave of Force upon arrival, dealing 175% weapon damage as Arcane to all nearby enemies and stunning them for 1 second.

Illusionist [Passive]

When you take more than 15% of your maximum Life in damage within 1 second, the cooldowns on Mirror Image and Slow Time are reset and your Teleport skill will not consume Arcane Power for three seconds.

When you use Mirror Image, Slow Time, or Teleport, your movement speed is increased by 30% for 3 seconds.

Cosmic Strand [Legendary Source] [NOT RETROACTIVE]
Blizzard deals 500-600% more damage and enemies inside its area of effect take 300% more damage from your other arcane power spending or generating attacks.

Aether Walker [Legendary Wand] [RETROACTIVE CHANGE]
Teleport gains the Calamity rune, releases your Wave of Force and now stuns for 2 seconds. Enemies hit by Wave of Force take 300% increased damage from your arcane power spending or generating skills for 5 seconds.

The Oculus [Legendary Source] [RETROACTIVE CHANGE]
blue affix “Reduces cooldown of Teleport by [1 - 4] seconds” retroactively replaced by “Reduces cooldown of Black Hole by [1 - 4] seconds
Legendary Affix retroactively replaced by:
Black Hole gains the Event Horizon rune and deals 600% increased damage. If Black Hole hits less than 3 targets, the damage is increased by 750-1000%.
The value of 15-20 that defines the % chance from the old Teleport related affix will be multiplied with a flat 50% to calculate the updated damage buff. For new items, the damage range will be at random.

That’s about it, more or less. I know devs hate retroactive changes, but in this case it’s required and for the better. Changing the basic skill from cooldown to resource would make all old affixes entirely obsolete. The old Cosmic Strand items can stay, but changing Oculus and Aether Walker is a must. My version with Black Hole and Blizzard is an example, it could be something else… but we definetly don’t need more than one mobility item, especially not for the weapon/offhand slots.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that the Teleport skill needs a technical overhaul as well. It’s a shame how bad the path finding is. Not to mention the horrible mini-cooldown that was originally meant to prevent accidental double casts… lol, it’s more than annoying. The long cast animation is also an issue.

All of that is well and good, but there is still only one change I would place a higher priority on than any other. You know how Vault will auto-path around whatever obstacles are in its way (unless it’s not possible, like being trapped inside Waller affixes)? Compare that to how Teleport automatically fails just because you’re in a narrow corridor. You don’t see that happening to Vault.

That is the change I want made. Demon Hunters can cartwheel through almost anything, but a literal warping of spacetime in order to instantly traverse the distance between two points…fails because you were too close to a wall.

I don’t get it.

1 Like

Oops, I simply forgot to mention that problem because it’s so damn obvious and yes, you are correct. Teleport pathing is and has always been crappy. It’s high time that this is taken care off, but better pathing alone won’t cut it either…

While we’re on the topic I’d also like to see its animation massively sped up and its icd shortened or removed.

The Archon teleport animation scales with attack speed. It’s blazingly fast at high attack speed. It’s only the global cooldown that limits you.

Regular teleport has a fixed animation length. Even if they just gave it the Archon Teleport treatment and made the regular teleport animation scale with attack speed, that would help.

Is it really only the gcd though? At 5 aps with Aether Walker it still feels kinda sluggish compared to dashing strike with in geom for example.

Aether Walker states that it removes the cooldown, but there is still clearly a cooldown in effect. ICD excuses are not acceptable; if the item claims to remove a cost, then it had better do that.

Either actually remove the cooldown, or reword the item description so that it is not blatantly false. Please.

2 Likes

Run Archon Teleport at 5 APS with Cosmic Strand and then get back to me.

You just don’t notice it because of the cooldown. Trust me, when you get that instant second teleport in Archon at 5 APS, it’s EXTREMELY noticeable. The forced cooldown is the only thing limiting Archon teleport. Regular teleport suffers from both a fixed animation length and the forced cooldown.

The regular teleport animation is something like 32 frames. Archon Teleport at 5 APS is 12 frames.

Running Archon Teleport with Cosmic Strand cuts about 7-8 minutes off my solo Sprinter runs. My PB with Archon teleport (+Cosmic Strand) is under 51 min, my top time with regular teleport is more like 58 min (that’s with Obsidian Ring cooldown cancelling too, more like 59-60 min without that).

Yeah sure the wormhole teleport feels nice, but I want that responsiveness for every teleport I use.

2 Likes

Right. My point was, the animation of Archon teleport is actually pretty quick. It’s just not that noticeable because you still have to wait for the cooldown. But the animation length of Archon teleport is not really the problem.

You can also see this without Cosmic Strand. Just take off Vyr4, remove all attack speed, and then equip something really slow like a Furnace. The Archon Teleport animation feels like molasses at 1 APS. It should be immediately noticeable even without Cosmic Strand. If you play a lot of Chantodo’s Vyr’s, you should also notice that Archon teleports feel much less snappy at the start of your first Archon vs. after you have stacks rolling. Regular teleport is a separate issue, but the Archon Teleport is fairly responsive at high APS (as long as you have low latency, anyway, but that problem isn’t unique to teleport).

I was just pointing out the Archon Teleport animation does indeed scale with attack speed. It’s the cooldown holding it back. Your previous comment seemed to imply that the Archon teleport doesn’t scale with attack speed, which isn’t true.

Making the animation faster than it already is (and it’s already pretty quick at high attack speed) won’t do much. Because you’ll still be limited by the cooldown. If you want faster teleports, the cooldown with Aether Walker has to go. That’s why In-Geom (or Raiment4, or channeling pylon) dash is so fast. It has no cooldown.

1 Like

agree…wizard is the class that has the teleport skill… when other classes can just “run” faster lol

Blood Rush says hi.

1 Like