Tal Rasha needs some love

I love playing Tal Rasha wizard but 8 sec internal cd is too long imo. maybe an item (maybe two piece set like archon’s staff and source even like a wand and a shoulder) that cuts the cd in half or make it effected by cd reduction. you dont get to effect the battle too much as it is with current internal cd. by the time I get to do my thing guess what a barbarian already clears everything up :slight_smile: I dont like having to play archon to be able to be effective at higher difficulties. I think every build should be somewhat viable. some small changes to make it more viable would be awesome.

Well, Tal Rasha has some issues… one being that the set took a serious blow from Bazooka nerf last patch. Channeling and Tal Rasha no longer works because you can no longer switch skills without gimping your damage by 90% for a second. And as we all know, Tal Rasha absolutely requires switching skills.

Also Meteor cooldown… should be reduced or at least affected by CDR.

defensive power mechanic should be adjusted a little.

The set itself needs 10000% total damage buff to bring it at least on par with LoD.

So, what so we make of this? Hm…

Tal Rasha’s Elements:
(2) piece bonus:
Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. Each damage type has an 8 second cooldown susceptible to cooldown reduction effects. Meteors deal 100% more damage.
(4) piece bonus:
Arcane, Cold, Fire, and Lightning attacks each grant a stack of Elemental Fury for 8 seconds. At 4 stacks, each different elemental attack extends the duration by 2 seconds, up to a maximum of 12 seconds. Elemental Fury increases your resistances and the damage of resource generating skills by 25% per stack.
(6) piece bonus:
Each stack of Elemental Fury increases your damage dealt by 2500% and reduces your cooldown times by 10%.

… see what I did there?

…and now an item idea that is a little bonkers, to say the least:

Tal Rasha’s Synchrotron [Legendary Ring]
Static Elemental damage to any element is increased by [10-20]% and now affects every element. Static damage to any skill now also increases the damage of every active Arcane Power Spender and Signature Skill. [Wizard only]

With that ring you can really play a multi-element and multi-skill build.

Edit: some typos fixed

1 Like

the fact you cant proc 6th bonus with storm armor or frost nova (other then frozen mist) is pretty bad too. I tried to do some sort of melee tal rasha with explosive blast + wand of woh + orb of infinite depth spectral barrier blades safe passage teleport and storm armor made me very tanky which was fun until gr solo 75 but after that I had to change tactics to more of the usual suspects like deathwish and etched sigil and turned into more channeling from afar mage which got boring real quick after the fun I had with the meleeish variant because you know why wouldnt I freely cast a meteor and blizzard while channeling instead of waiting for another set of meteors for 8sec.

Well… you still only get 3 items that can really boost skill damage, and if those don’t synergize, you won’t be able to do much damage anyways.

Like you are still limited to The Grand Vizier in the cube along with Nilfur’s Boasts. If you skip Deathwish and Etched Sigil you’d loose a x10 multiplier meaning you’d be doing 15-17 GR tiers lower, and any other skill you throw in won’t have any support from those two slots to make up for the damage lost.

So no, you can’t really play multi-skill, unless you want to stick to T16 and GR75s. The game simply is set to it.

Just a second there… legendary powers would be included :wink:

Now think again… just as an example: Nilfur would also boost Black Hole or Twisters or Arcane Orb damage… as a nice side effect, this would likely make you want to not wear/use Deathwish since there are better options. As I wrote, that suggestion is nuts :smiley:

nuts or not its a good alternative to deathwish&etchedsigil. at least you can play around with your skills.

I highly doubt you are going to get all skills include in all legendary items, that is too much work. You also end an issue where you create additional damage and thus more power creep, requiring a rebalance. If the balance is set at 1,000 per second you can how one skill dealing the 1,000 per second or 2 skills dealing 500 per second.

That is true, but they are going for a big rebalance anyways. At least that’s what they told us, so… but yeah, like I said, the idea is crazy.

Anyhow, regarding the effect and the various legendary powers it would work with - it would obviously be limited to wizard skills and then only to items with skill-specific, unconditional and static ones. For example it would work with items/powers like Unstable Scepter, Nilfur (the first part), Grand Vizier, Ranslors or Magistrate. It would not work with conditional ones like Triumvirate since those are not static. Obviously you cannot use them all, so there is a natural limit of what you can do. Like you still have to keep you defesive options in mind.

One question would be whether the effect should be additive (simply summing up all active buffs, then multiplying your damage with the total) or by applying every single buff as a seperate multiplier. And if its multiplicative, will the buff to a certain skill be excluded for that skill itself, so that it’s impossible to double dip? I did not include or specifiy it, but if the effect ends up being too strong, it would be possible to reduce/cap the effectivity.

It’s clear that they will likely never introduce something like that ring and ideally I would like them to introduce dedicated items so that all or at least way more of our skills become viable. But how many years would that take them, seeing the number of utterly useless skills and items we currently have.

That’s a very good question. But first we might wanna see where they decide to take SoJ, as it has to be changed from what it is now, to even stand a chance of being usable by any kind of build.

I am all in for a change to make Tal Rasha and elemental rotation of much more powerful and dynamic, but we are really limited by item choices at the moment, because we can’t get the multipliers needed. But if you ask me, I’d say start with a skill setup or playstyle that you want to enable, and then go from there to make the items able to do it.

For instance I’ve always liked how the Triumvirate mechanic works really well in connection with Tal Rasha, but it not able to utilize it properly and DMO is just straight out better. But creating items that by casting X makes Y deal more damage is not a bad strategy to create this elemental rotation kind of playstyle.

Judging from where we are now I’d say around 2026

I had suggested this some time ago as a re-adjustment to Tal-Rasha (with some changes):

Tal-Rasha’s Elements:

• 2 piece effect:
    • Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. There is an 8 second cooldown for each damage type. Casting an elemental skill may reduce the remaining cooldown of meteors of the same damage type by 0.25 second.
  • 4 piece effect:
    • Elemental attacks increase all resistances and meteor damage by 25% for 8 seconds, this effect stacks four times. Additional attacks will refresh the effect.
  • 6 piece effect:
    • Elemental attacks increase total damage done by 800% for 8 seconds, this effect stacks 10 times and will refresh upon additional casts. Casting a different elemental attack from the previous attack will grant two stacks instead of one.

The general idea is to rid the set of the requirement of having to juggle different elements and allow single elemental builds to thrive using Tal-Rasha. That said, multi-elementalists would still be rewarded as they would gain their damage buffs faster than those opting for singular elemental builds.

I see the general idea of that suggestion and it’s not that bad. Thing is, with that kind of mechanic Tal Rasha would still be too weak, compared with LoD… it has to at least match LoD max damage to be a competitor. I have an issue with too much stacking and recasting. I’m also not too fond of having two unlinked stack mechanics on the same set… and, regarding channeling skills. How would that set work with, let’s say Disintegrate or Electrocute? Will holding down the button count as one attack or will it refresh the set / add stacks?

I have thought about a change to my suggestion while answering to a different thread. A set should allow things that are normally impossible with the basic skills - how about this:

Tal Rasha’s Elements:
(2) piece bonus:
Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. Each damage type has an 8 second cooldown susceptible to cooldown reduction effects. You may now add multiple instances of the same skill to your bar, if you choose different runes.
(4) piece bonus:
Arcane, Cold, Fire, and Lightning attacks each grant a stack of Elemental Fury, lasting 8 seconds. At 4 stacks, switching between elemental attacks extends the duration by 2 seconds, up to a maximum of 12 seconds. Elemental Fury increases your resistances and the damage of Meteors and resource generating skills by 25% per stack.
(6) piece bonus:
Each stack of Elemental Fury increases your damage dealt by 2500% and reduces all cooldown times by 10%.

What would this revised set do at four stacks:
+10000% all damage buff
+100% to all resistances
+40% cooldown reduction
set Meteors internal cooldown are affected by cooldown reduction
Meteor damage x2 (sep. multiplier)
Signature skill damage x2 (sep. multiplier, either by Prodigy or Shame of Delsere)
You can assign the same skill multiple times to your skill bar… for example:
Meteor - Meteor Shower, Thundercrash, Comet, Star Pact
Hydra - Frost Hydra, Arcane Hydra, Mammoth Hydra, Lightning Hydra

If they buff the channeling skills it might also be usefull for Disintegrate, because you can then switch between Convergence and Intensify for example to maintain the channel but still switch elements to refresh stacks.

Yeah, numbers are low as they’re taken directly from the current iteration of the Tal-Rasha set. The numbers could be from say 950-1200; although I’d probably settle on 1000 per stack. Regarding gaining stacks from the effects of a channeling skill; you would gain, as well as refresh, a stack for each tick of the channeling skill cast (similar to how Taeguk operates). Regarding Electrocute, you would gain, as well as refresh, a stack for each lightning chain that’s released from the caster. Of course, holding down the skills down would still net you your stacks.

As for the unlinked stacks of the 4p and 6p set effects, I can’t say that would be problematic as the two would go hand in hand and unlike the current Tal-Rasha iteration, you would be able to refresh your 4p set effect.

That said, I do like your idea of having the Tal-Rasha meteors benefit from cdr; along with the cdr bonus given by the 6p set effect.

Amen brothers! get some love for tals rasha!